Obama and the Price of Gas as we stay well above $3 and approach $4

LeftofLeft

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2011
Obama, May 2008: "For the well-off in this country," Obama said in May 2008, "high gas prices are mostly an annoyance, but to most Americans they're a huge problem, bordering on a crisis."

This is the case now as we approach $4 average throughout the US. What can a President do to help change that? Better yet, does or can a President and his Party's position on an energy policy like Keystone pipeline and refinery construction negatively impact energy prices for 'most Americans' ?

How can the President and his Party help most Americans now at this very instant address high energy prices to drive to and from their jobs?

Ride a bike or take mass transit, but if for one minute you believe the Messiah gives a hoot your out of luck.

It is the liberals and their anti business environmental policies that have made gas cost so much.

I'm obliged to note that gas is $1 cheaper now than in summer 2008

However, when Bush left office gas was around $1.80 a gallon. Miles away from where it is today, and nearly all of Obama's tenure.

There are some places in southern California where it's already hit the $5 mark, and it's still February ! Imagine what it will be by vacation season, I can see a lot of people staying home.

However, when Bush left office gas was around $1.80 a gallon. Miles away from where it is today, and nearly all of Obama's tenure.

There are some places in southern California where it's already hit the $5 mark, and it's still February ! Imagine what it will be by vacation season, I can see a lot of people staying home.

yep, and I can't wait to see how the tourist season is hit with it.
He is wrong about it being a dollar higher. It was the same it is now in south Florida in the summer of 2008.

wow a 1.80 a gallon under Bush, Cheney, and Halliburton. unreal.
Look where we are today folks.

facts are facts libs. deal with it.

Actually obama wants the world to run on a skateboard with a Briggs and strattton engine.

Of course one laissez faire ruined the world economy, demand was going to go down and the speculation collapsed. The new speculators are banking on foreign markets. It's based on supply and demand like everything. Supply from the US producers are higher than during the Bush years, but worldwide demand is continuing to grow, with ebbs and flows, but nonetheless. The only way you are going to get $1.80 gas is through price controls, or export limits.

Of course one laissez faire ruined the world economy, demand was going to go down and the speculation collapsed. The new speculators are banking on foreign markets. It's based on supply and demand like everything. Supply from the US producers are higher than during the Bush years, but worldwide demand is continuing to grow, with ebbs and flows, but nonetheless. The only way you are going to get $1.80 gas is through price controls, or export limits.

With worldwide demand up, all the more reason to aggressively pursue domestic oil production; including, building refineries.

With worldwide demand up, all the more reason to aggressively pursue domestic oil production; including, building refineries.

is that our government's job? sounds pretty interventionist to me. of course there is the argument about tarsands, but those can't be made into gasoline anyway.

In 2008, when gas approached $4 per gallon, the headlines screamed it. Every news cast spent 15 minutes of every half hour talking about the crushing gas prices and the pain it was causing the poor people. Can't you feel for the poooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrr people?????

Today.. It gets a 5 second mention in Block D........

Things that make you go...................hmmmmmmmm

In the late 70s America had a choice.

The Carter Option: Slowly transition to a less petrol-intensive system

Reagan: Stay on oil. Do not diversify your energy basket.

Carter predicted that if we didn't slowly transition to less oil use, our economy would eventually be destroyed by the $5 gallon - which would destroy the purchasing power of the middle class and bring the economy to halt.

Reagan, who was funded heavily by big oil, said Carter was crazy.

Carter said that listening to Reagan would entangle us in the middle east and make terrorist petrol-state richer.

Reagan laughed at him and passed a number of policies that increased America's petroleum use and dependency on the middle east. This dependency meant we had to quadruple our military costs in order to stabilize the region. Reagan's vice president, GHW Bush, formed a deep partnership with Saudi Arabia through the Carlye Group. Use your Google. The GOP/Middle East oil partnership is one of the reasons why the Bin Laden family was allowed to leave the USA immediately after 9/11 ... without having to answer a single question about Osama.

Regardless...

Carter asked for short term sacrifices so that we could transition to an affordable energy future.

Reagan, like a slick Washington politician, promised Americans that they didn't have to make any sacrifices. He set the USA on a path toward energy bankruptcy.

We swallowed poison in 1980.

Last edited:
As a Conservative and a domestic crude oil producer of 35 years, Obama is the last person with whom I would lay "blame". I could be wrong mind you, but I have seen many administrations come and go since J. Carter. Or I could go back to my childhood, during which time oil production paid for my diapers. That would be the Eisenhower era.

From my perspective it's not an issue of the price of crude oil or retail gasoline, but one of protecting and embracing an industry fundamental to our nation's security, economic vitality, employment, balance of trade, gross domestic product, and overall quality of life.

I've witnessed many booms and busts over the years. My earliest recollection is when oil was $2.70/barrel and gasoline was 30 cents/gallon. My family was living in poverty, so you probably appreciate my vivid recollections of those times.

And as lately as 2007, I have seen oil at $140/barrel. As have you. I personally realized $1 million in gross income that year. Where did my money go? It went to pay off the debt that I incurred when you were paying $1.00/gallon for gasolline in the late 90's. Yes, it took me nearly 10 years to pay off my debts.

Which brings us to today. Do you really belive that something so valuable to our economic way of life should be chaper than dirt? Do you want $1/gallon gasoline while we pay $2.70/gallon for ethanol? Fuck that shit. I should have been a farmer. Which would mean that my father should have been a farmer, and his father a farmer. And my childrens farmers.

Yep, we are 4th generational oil producers. But does anyone give a shit? No. Does anyone give a shit about the 4th generational farmer? Hell yes.

Why?

Beats the fuck out of me.

Carter predicted that if we didn't slowly transition to less oil use, our economy would eventually be destroyed by the $5 gallon - which would destroy the purchasing power of the middle class and bring the economy to halt.

Carter said that listening to Reagan would entangle us in the middle east and make terrorist petrol-state richer.

Reagan laughed at him and passed a number of policies that increased America's petroleum use and dependency on the middle east. This dependency meant we had to quadruple our military costs in order to stabilize the region. Reagan's vice president, GHW Bush, formed a deep partnership with Saudi Arabia through the Carlye Group. Use your Google. The GOP/Middle East oil partnership is one of the reasons why the Bin Laden family was allowed to leave the USA immediately after 9/11 ... without having to answer a single question about Osama.

Regardless...

Carter asked for short term sacrifices so that we could transition to an affordable energy future.

Reagan, like a slick Washington politician, promised Americans that they didn't have to make any sacrifices. He set the USA on a path toward energy bankruptcy.

You write a lot of fantasy, do you?

Regardless...

Let me tell you something about Carter, you little fuck. He precipitated our country's path to ruin with respect to oil. His "fireside chat" clad in sweater. His "Windfall Profits" tax, his labeling of a domestic industry as "evil".

I paid "Windfall Profits" taxes. I complied with the formulated calculation of this so-called "tax".

It was not a tax, it was not based upon profits... it was a direct confiscation of personal property. Fuck you, idiot.

Forum List

Back