🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Obama back to his divisive ways, says college kids, successful people are lucky

Clementine

Platinum Member
Dec 18, 2011
Obama giving another speech where he attempts to take credit away from graduating students. Sure, they worked hard, but the fact that they are lucky is why they attended college. His point is that minorities aren't that lucky. I think there are other things missing, such as the hard work and a high school diploma, but why bother with details when your goal is to pander to the minorities and make excuses for why they haven't done better under Obama's reign?

Obama claims that the right thinks all government spending is bad. What a crock of shit. We want spending on national security and that would include military and border security. We agree with spending on infrastructure although we know it could be done better and cheaper than it is now.

Obama said that kids that go to college are lucky. Yup, the typical lib attitude is that you didn't build that and you only get ahead because you have good luck.

Success is not all about luck. Plenty of poor people have made it through college. Most people don't have the money to go. That is why we have college loans. There is no luck. You do well in school and get accepted by a college. You take out loans and maybe earn scholarships to help. Nothing lucky about that.

The only way some people are luckier than others is if they are born to parents who actually care enough to raise them the right way. The parents who take their role seriously will wind up with respectful, responsible children who aren't afraid of hard work. Parents who are clueless will end up with disrespectful thugs who have no respect for others and grew up with the worst role models ever. Even then, the kids aren't necessarily doomed.

I've known kids with horrible parents who managed to do well. My friend's niece stayed in school, always worked at least part time as a teen and completed college. This was despite a meth head mom who spent half the time in jail for everything from drugs to theft. She served as an example of what not to do and the girl grew up being just the opposite.

Was she lucky to have good grades that got her accepted to college? Was she lucky to earn a few scholarships? Was she lucky to fill out FAFSA and get student loans, which she is still paying back? Or was the majority of her own success more about keeping her nose to the grindstone instead of hoping for luck?

Studying and staying out of trouble isn't luck, it's just plain smart. Once they graduate from college, they are far more likely to get a good job.

I guess I can say that I hope we are all "lucky" enough to someday have a government that doesn't do everything it can to destroy the small businesses that offer the much needed opportunities. We'll see who is "lucky" enough to win the next election. Is Obama admitting that it was pure luck that got him the presidency? Luck that got him to the best colleges considering how poor he was? Luck that allowed him to travel extensively on a college kid's budget. Either luck or being funded by some mysterious person.

"You can't build your own metro system. You can't build your own highway. You can't build your own airport. And so we have a specific problem with under-investing in infrastructure."

"And that means we have to not only question the world as it is, and stand up for those African Americans who haven’t been so lucky -- because, yes, you've worked hard, but you've also been lucky. That's a pet peeve of mine: People who have been successful and don’t realize they've been lucky."

And, as Obama’s grade school English teacher would surely point out, you actually "can" build your own metro or highway – you’re just not allowed to, under penalty of law.

Still, if you legally could build your own metro or highway, odds are it’d be less expensive, more efficient and safer than anything the government builds, funds, or manages. Just look at the safety problem with the D.C. metro system or the government-run health care provided to our nation’s veterans.

http://www.mrctv.org/blog/

giphy.gif

Obama giving another speech where he attempts to take credit away from graduating students. Sure, they worked hard, but the fact that they are lucky is why they attended college. His point is that minorities aren't that lucky. I think there are other things missing, such as the hard work and a high school diploma, but why bother with details when your goal is to pander to the minorities and make excuses for why they haven't done better under Obama's reign?

Obama claims that the right thinks all government spending is bad. What a crock of shit. We want spending on national security and that would include military and border security. We agree with spending on infrastructure although we know it could be done better and cheaper than it is now.

Obama said that kids that go to college are lucky. Yup, the typical lib attitude is that you didn't build that and you only get ahead because you have good luck.

Success is not all about luck. Plenty of poor people have made it through college. Most people don't have the money to go. That is why we have college loans. There is no luck. You do well in school and get accepted by a college. You take out loans and maybe earn scholarships to help. Nothing lucky about that.

The only way some people are luckier than others is if they are born to parents who actually care enough to raise them the right way. The parents who take their role seriously will wind up with respectful, responsible children who aren't afraid of hard work. Parents who are clueless will end up with disrespectful thugs who have no respect for others and grew up with the worst role models ever. Even then, the kids aren't necessarily doomed.

I've known kids with horrible parents who managed to do well. My friend's niece stayed in school, always worked at least part time as a teen and completed college. This was despite a meth head mom who spent half the time in jail for everything from drugs to theft. She served as an example of what not to do and the girl grew up being just the opposite.

Was she lucky to have good grades that got her accepted to college? Was she lucky to earn a few scholarships? Was she lucky to fill out FAFSA and get student loans, which she is still paying back? Or was the majority of her own success more about keeping her nose to the grindstone instead of hoping for luck?

Studying and staying out of trouble isn't luck, it's just plain smart. Once they graduate from college, they are far more likely to get a good job.

I guess I can say that I hope we are all "lucky" enough to someday have a government that doesn't do everything it can to destroy the small businesses that offer the much needed opportunities. We'll see who is "lucky" enough to win the next election. Is Obama admitting that it was pure luck that got him the presidency? Luck that got him to the best colleges considering how poor he was? Luck that allowed him to travel extensively on a college kid's budget. Either luck or being funded by some mysterious person.

"You can't build your own metro system. You can't build your own highway. You can't build your own airport. And so we have a specific problem with under-investing in infrastructure."

"And that means we have to not only question the world as it is, and stand up for those African Americans who haven’t been so lucky -- because, yes, you've worked hard, but you've also been lucky. That's a pet peeve of mine: People who have been successful and don’t realize they've been lucky."

And, as Obama’s grade school English teacher would surely point out, you actually "can" build your own metro or highway – you’re just not allowed to, under penalty of law.

Still, if you legally could build your own metro or highway, odds are it’d be less expensive, more efficient and safer than anything the government builds, funds, or manages. Just look at the safety problem with the D.C. metro system or the government-run health care provided to our nation’s veterans.

What a bunch of absolutist bullshit, hypotheticals and straw man arguments. You've allowed your hatred for Obama to distort your ability to think clearly.
The highway rant is the most laughable because highways are often built by non-governmental entities with private and government funding, incentives and tax breaks. Express lanes are for profit.
That utter stupidity about college is absurd racist driven crap. "Lucky" means fortunate - not that it was pure luck that someone got into or excelled in college.
If you Right Wingers want to dispell the notion that you're uneducated rednecks, stop furthering the stereotype.

What a bunch of absolutist bullshit, hypotheticals and straw man arguments. You've allowed your hatred for Obama to distort your ability to think clearly.
The highway rant is the most laughable because highways are often built by non-governmental entities with private and government funding, incentives and tax breaks. Express lanes are for profit.
That utter stupidity about college is absurd racist driven crap. "Lucky" means fortunate - not that it was pure luck that someone got into or excelled in college.
If you Right Wingers want to dispell the notion that you're uneducated rednecks, stop furthering the stereotype.

Lucky or fortunate, whichever word you use, it's still the same. Obama is saying some are not fortunate enough to go, but fails to acknowledge that those, even poor people, who worked hard through school did manage to make it to college. There is nothing fortunate about having your shit together.

Maybe Obama should be shaking his finger at parents who fail to teach their children anything and don't make them take school seriously. They are what holds their children back. Those who did make it shouldn't be made to feel guilty or have a president who refuses to give them full credit for their personal achievements. Making light of their efforts won't make another child succeed and I think Obama is doing what he does best and that's making excuses for people by claiming others are just luckier.

Lucky, fortunate, same thing asshole.

Forum List

Back