Obama is playing politics but Putin is following International Law

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
This is a great article to really make sense of Putin's actions over Snowden. Putin is following the letter of International Law.

The gentleman who wrote it is an expert in the field of International Law. And I don't think we can call him a rabid right winger by any stretch of the imagination.

Richard Falk is Albert G. Milbank Professor Emeritus of International Law at Princeton University and Visiting Distinguished Professor in Global and International Studies at the University of California, Santa Barbara.

He is also the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Palestinian human rights.

And man oh man he does not mince words regarding Obama and the media.

Here's a snippet.

Russia's grant of temporary refugee status to Snowden for one year was in full accord with the normal level of protection to be given to anyone accused of nonviolent political crimes in a foreign country, writes Richard Falk

The most influential media in the United States has lived up to its pro-government bias in the Snowden Affair in three major ways: firstly, by consistently referring to Snowden by the demeaning designation of 'leaker' rather than as 'whistleblower' or 'surveillance dissident,' both more respectful and accurate.

Secondly, they are completely ignoring the degree to which Russia's grant of temporary refugee status to Snowden for one year was in full accord with the normal level of protection to be given to anyone accused of nonviolent political crimes in a foreign country, and pursued diplomatically and legally by the government that is seeking to indict and prosecute.

And here's the capper :eusa_whistle:

]f anything, President Vladimir Putin, considering the nature of the Snowden disclosures about the global reach of American surveillance systems, acted with exceptional deference to the sensitivities of the United States.

Instead of merely pointing out that Snowden could not be transferred to the United States against his will, Putin went out of his way to say that he did not want the incident to harm relations with the United States, and even went so far as to condition Snowden's asylum on an unusual pledge that he refrain from any further release of documents damaging to American interests.

Great article. Here's the link.

Snowden's Asylum: 'It's the law, stupid' - Opinion - Al Jazeera English

Putin is not responsible for Snowden...Obabble is. Obabble hired the asshole. The asshole stole Obabble's secrets. The asshole escaped from Obabble. The asshole eluded Obabble. Obabble owns the asshole, lock, stock and barrel.

Putin is not responsible for Snowden...Obabble is. Obabble hired the asshole. The asshole stole Obabble's secrets. The asshole escaped from Obabble. The asshole eluded Obabble. Obabble owns the asshole, lock, stock and barrel.

Are you really retarded enough to think that everything works on such a micro level like that?

Are you really retarded enough to think that everything works on such a micro level like that?

Only when they get to blame Obama and cheer for Putin.

Liberals at one time embraced all those world leaders that were against the war in Iraq including Putin.

Liberals adored it when Putin would give Bush shit. Liberals loved to point out how Bush was not respected by other world leaders.

But now that Putin isn't playing nice in the sandbox with Obama they are sooooooooooooooo indignant on behalf of their leader.

:lol:

I love it.

Liberals at one time embraced all those world leaders that were against the war in Iraq including Putin.

Liberals adored it when Putin would give Bush shit. Liberals loved to point out how Bush was not respected by other world leaders.

But now that Putin isn't playing nice in the sandbox with Obama they are sooooooooooooooo indignant on behalf of their leader.

I love it.

"conservatives called liberals traitors when they sided with other leaders over bush, "who gives a fuck what the world thinks!!" ...now that Obama catches flack, their Obama hatred has them right on the side of the former uss fucking r. how ironic."

end quote.

GO PUTIN GO PUTIN

If Obama snubbed Satan these fools would be drawing pentagrams and sacrificing goats

I love it.

"conservatives called liberals traitors when they sided with other leaders over bush, "who gives a fuck what the world thinks!!" ...now that Obama catches flack, their Obama hatred has them right on the side of the former uss fucking r. how ironic."

end quote.

Oh most certainly many conservatives did. I just love every minute liberal hypocrisy shines thru.

I'm not cheering Putin on.

I'm just loving how so called liberals for example now have no problem with Obama killing Americans without due process with drones but waterboarding was torture.

So called liberals now have no problem with domestic spying but were all over Bush for the Patriot act.

The list of so called liberal hypocritical stances goes on forever.

I'm just enjoying witnessing it.

This professor is someone that I would call a true liberal in the classical sense. I admire that in a person.

True liberals are hard to find these days.

I bet many a rabid right winger here would cheer if Putin came to the UN and call President Obama the Devil, now wouldn'tcha......

I love it.

Was that before or after President Bush looked deep into his eyes......

I love it.

Was that before or after President Bush looked deep into his eyes......

I don't see how that helps you here....its was a dumb thing to say, no doubt, I thought so then and now. and so what? what does that have to do with what she said:eusa_eh:

so look, when it comes to spys there always been certain way to handle this IF the country losing or having their spys busted want them back bad enough and the country being asked to surrender them them gets enough of what they want too, the problem here is, as far as we know and I think he would have leaked it by now to buttress his righteous anger postion- obama never offered them , that is putin anything.

Nothing is supposed to be for free in geo-politics ( well except submarining the missile defense shield, which taught Putin Obama could be had in that context), but spys? that operates under a pretty much swap meet rule. Always has.

Heres the last example I could find-

Justice Department officials in Washington revealed that the Kremlin had agreed to free four prisoners serving time as Western intelligence agents, in a deal hammered out on Wednesday.

Ten Russian spies drop aliases, admit guilt and head home to Moscow - NYPOST.com

Obama offered them back putin said, uhmm ok and he agreed on 4 of ours for this lot.

Putin doesn’t owe us anything in this context, it’s a lets make a deal scenario and if Obama thought different, well, we got snookered.

I mean seriously, who here thinks if a Russian citizen fled his post at Russias SSSR –( Special Communications Service, responsible for Governmental Communications Security and Signals Intelligence) we would be returning him or her free and clear? Aint happening , it shouldn’t and hasn’t in the past.

I love it.
Duplicity is always fun to watch...shows lack of principle. But stated so many times, Statists/Leftists lack principles.

Forum List

Back