oh my goodness

Welfare is a safety net, the intended purpose is to provide for families that fall on hard times. Unfortunately, it does get abused.

I'm sure everyone here knows of at least a couple of people that have no ambition and deliberately milk the free money & programs to the max. It is that kind of behavior that galls the rest of us hard working people.

I wouldn't say it's a lack of education, it's a lack of self respect.

Originally posted by NightTrain
Welfare is a safety net, the intended purpose is to provide for families that fall on hard times. Unfortunately, it does get abused.

I'm sure everyone here knows of at least a couple of people that have no ambition and deliberately milk the free money & programs to the max. It is that kind of behavior that galls the rest of us hard working people.

The abuse of welfare that pisses me off is watching a married couple walk into the grocery store wearing better clothes than me, after parking their lexus or benz, and paying for their groceries with food stamps.

Can we turn these people in? I would turn in my own sister, if she was laughing all the way to the bank with her check. If you know someone on welfare, you should help them to find other ways. Watch their kids for them while they go buy a new outfit for a job interview, clean their house or help them decorate it - second hand. And again with the motivational programs...

Exactly. I was off sick for about six months, and collected welfare myself, not ashamed, but can't understand how someone would want to live like that longer than they must. We call it "yellow bag" day around here - everyone rushes to Giant Tiger (local discount store) to get their monthly supplies at the end of the month. For three straight days, all you see if people carrying yellow bags up and down the streets :D

Originally posted by crazy canadian
Do you like it? I'm thinking of being a teacher.

I love my job. I'm not a teacher, but I work with kids in my home. I wouldn't want to be a teacher, I don't work well with lots of structure.

Can we turn these people in? I would turn in my own sister, if she was laughing all the way to the bank with her check. If you know someone on welfare, you should help them to find other ways. Watch their kids for them while they go buy a new outfit for a job interview, clean their house or help them decorate it - second hand. And again with the motivational programs...

I work for a smaller part of a much bigger community support program, and I'm also a part time program facilitator within a program that is designed to "help" young families get their shit together. I see first hand how well these programs work, and I can tell you, a kick in the ass is probably more efficient and cost effective than many of these programs. Some of these girls do make out ok, but most don't.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
The abuse of welfare that pisses me off is watching a married couple walk into the grocery store wearing better clothes than me, after parking their lexus or benz, and paying for their groceries with food stamps.

Are you serious?? I've never seen that happen.

Originally posted by Said1
I work for a smaller part of a much bigger community support program, and I'm also a part time program facilitator within a program that is designed to "help" young families get their shit together. I see first hand how well these programs work, and I can tell you, a kick in the ass is probably more efficient and cost effective than many of these programs. Some of these girls do make out ok, but most don't.

Do you be really nice to them, or are you allowed to 'whip' them into shape?

Are you serious?? I've never seen that happen.

I see it on a weekly basis here in dallas. A couple walks in the store, usually black, wearing more gold around their necks than I've got in cans of gold paint and leather coats that are way more expensive than my $300 leather, and buying with food stamps.

Originally posted by Said1
Exactly. I was off sick for about six months, and collected welfare myself, not ashamed, but can't understand how someone would want to live like that longer than they must. We call it "yellow bag" day around here - everyone rushes to Giant Tiger (local discount store) to get their monthly supplies at the end of the month. For three straight days, all you see if people carrying yellow bags up and down the streets :D

Do you think they stay living like that because it becomes 'their community'? Where they feel accepted? Once people start doing something, it's hard to stop. There needs to be more opportunity, more open doors. Can the gov't create jobs? and turn these welfare checks into paychecks?

A couple of years ago, my wife and I were standing in line at a grocery store. There was a couple there with packages of top quality steak, and four lobster tails. Imagine our surprise when this mid-20s couple whipped out food stamps to pay for it. It really pissed me off, and the clerk wanted to say something about it too.

Do you think they stay living like that because it becomes 'their community'? Where they feel accepted? Once people start doing something, it's hard to stop. There needs to be more opportunity, more open doors. Can the gov't create jobs? and turn these welfare checks into paychecks?

The private sector is for creating jobs. Lower taxes to encourage investing. Jobs will be created. THESE PEOPLE DON"T WANT TO WORK. Anyone who want to in this country can find work.

Many feel they shouldn't have to work for minimum wage for some reason. They are often resentful of people who have it better than them, when in fact,there is nothing stopping them from accomplishing the same things. Some figure this out, some don't. I had one little girl years ago, who's mother decided she wanted to get a job....any job. She started working at 7/11, and loved it. She went back to school, studied office admin, and now works as a legal secretary. I'm very proud of her because she has come along way and is doing really good, and is still with the father of her child. She had her baby at 15!

Liberals don't encourage self reliance. They desire a permanent underclass they can point to and use to guilt the rest of us into accepting tax hikes. It's as plain as the nose on my face.

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
Liberals don't encourage self reliance. They desire a permanent underclass they can point to and use to guilt the rest of us into accepting tax hikes. It's as plain as the nose on my face.

Many of government funded programs are cancelled because no one takes part in them.....the help IS there, the ride is there, the childcare is there, the only problem is the people don't know how to get out of bed on time, and commit to showing up once a week.

I'm sure William will enjoy that, RWA.

I remember working at Godfather's Pizza back in high school, making 3 bucks per hour. It sucked making less than $20 per day, but it kept my hotrod Camaro fueled up.

I hear the 'I won't work for minimum wage' from youngsters. That's when I reply, 'Great! How much did you earn today sitting on your ass?' Gets them to thinking.

I'm sure William will enjoy that, RWA.

I remember working at Godfather's Pizza back in high school, making 3 bucks per hour. It sucked making less than $20 per day, but it kept my hotrod Camaro fueled up.

I hear the 'I won't work for minimum wage' from youngsters. That's when I reply, 'Great! How much did you earn today sitting on your ass?' Gets them to thinking.

I don't know about the USA, but you are allowed to make close to $300 before money is taken of your check. Anyone could do that while their kids are in school.

Forum List

Back