One More Shot At "DUNE"

Maybe they'll get it right this time. Splitting into two parts is a good sign.

Filming Begins on Denis Villenueve’s ‘Dune’; Hans Zimmer to Score
Dune 1 was kinda mediocre, I liked the HBO series though there were things I would have changed. Children of Dune was pretty good.
I read all of Frank Herbert's books, including the entire Dune series.
Was a little disappointed with the original movie. Tried to cram too much into it.
Really liked the Destination Void series.
Many parallels of the second book The Jesus Incident regarding the world Pandora and its life forms with the movie Avatar. I believe the connection was a production company in Avatar known as Dune Entertainment.

Dune 1 was kinda mediocre, I liked the HBO series though there were things I would have changed. Children of Dune was pretty good.
Was a little disappointed with the original movie. Tried to cram too much into it.
Many parallels of the second book The Jesus Incident regarding the world Pandora and its life forms with the movie Avatar. I believe the connection was a production company in Avatar known as Dune Entertainment.

I once met Frank Herbert during a signing tour he did just before the film came out. Nice guy, very gracious, signed all my stuff.

When I handed "Soul Catcher" to him to sign, he burst out laughing, then turned to his assistant saying "Look, man! We found the guy that actually bought this!"

Yes, the mini-series was very well done. Good casting, but rather cheap sets and effects.

Dune (TV Mini-Series 2000– ) - IMDb

I'm not very hopeful for this new version. Timothee is very wimpy.

The rest of the cast for the new one looks promising. I especially like:

Rebecca Ferguson - Jessica
Oscar Isaac - Duke Leto
Stellan Skarsgård - Stilgar

Skaarsgard is the Baron.

Jason Momoa is Duncan Idaho.

Josh Brolin is Gurney Halleck.

I thought the Lynch version was visually quite good, except for the cheap thopters. I had problems with casting, including MacLaghlan. The narrative killed them. Most of the soundtrack sucked.

Didn't care for the miniseries, though it dealt somewhat better with the story.

I read the whole Dune series, too, and enjoyed it. I saw the first Dune movie and found it pretty much a fail, because the book includes so much that is being thought. The movie just didn't bring that realm into it.

I read the whole Dune series, too, and enjoyed it. I saw the first Dune movie and found it pretty much a fail, because the book includes so much that is being thought. The movie just didn't bring that realm into it.
Its been awhile, but I believe six books covering about 50,000 years.
The first book was extensive with maps, appendixes, definition of terms, etc.

The Destination Void series is extensive also with a full summary in the second book of the waterworld Pandora and its sentient ocean kelp connected to a global conscience of the planets deadly lifeforms.
Worth a read if you never have. 4 Novels.destination void series - Google Search
Always hoped that would come to movie form.

The Destination Void series is extensive also with a full summary in the second book of the waterworld Pandora and its sentient ocean kelp connected to a global conscience of the planets deadly lifeforms.
Worth a read if you never have. 4 Novels.destination void series - Google Search
My three favorite series books I basically grew up on were The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings (Tolkien), The Foundation series (Asimov) and Dune (Herbert). Must have read them a dozen times each.

My three favorite series books I basically grew up on were The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings (Tolkien), The Foundation series (Asimov) and Dune (Herbert). Must have read them a dozen times each.
Oh what a snoozefest. I was damn lucky I never had to do a book report on any of them in college.....

Foundation would be another one I would love to see brought to life.

Because we all know there’s no other science fiction out there in the world.

Niven, Pournelle all wrote junk.

Actually, I'd rather see a big budget version of "The Mote In God's Eye" than another version of Dune.
Agreed. Footfall is another.

Because we all know there’s no other science fiction out there in the world.

Niven, Pournelle all wrote junk.

No, they didn't. They wrote some good, and some bad. Just like pretty much every other author out there.
I was being sarcastic.

Damn, we had the same reading tastes.

Forum List

Back