One of the most depressing articles I've read on American voters, and not BECAUSE they voted Trump

bendog

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2013
but more about what Trump offers them, which they admit is basically nothing of substance.

Johnstown Never Believed Trump Would Help. They Still Love Him Anyway.

'nearly all people who voted for Trump would do it again. But as I compared this year’s answers to last year’s responses it seemed clear that the basis of people’s support had morphed. Johnstown voters do not intend to hold the president accountable for the nonnegotiable pledges he made to them. It’s not that the people who made Trump president have generously moved the goalposts for him. It’s that they have eliminated the goalposts altogether.'

Everyone who has an employable skill has already moved away. Many laid off miners DON"T want to be retrained.

"“I think we’re going to see the end of the world in our generation.”

Coal is a highpoint, even though Coal's own prognostications are coal will continue losing market share in the future.

"So many people in so many other areas of the country watch with dismay and existential alarm Trump’s Twitter hijinks, his petty feuds, his penchant for butting into areas where the president has no explicit, policy-relevant role. All of that only animates his supporters here. For them, Trump is their megaphone. He is the scriptwriter. He is a singularly effective, intuitive creator of a limitless loop of grievance and discontent that keeps them in absolute lockstep"

My parents grew up in this area and I regularly visit relatives there. I'm probably one of the few people that had heard of the town Nanty Glo. This article really nails the area. So sad, there are a lot of really good people. Unfortunately, I don't know what the answer is. The article did state something I've heard as well, people are finally accepting that the mines and mills aren't coming back. Hopefully, that will be a start of something else, I just don't know what.

It really is beautiful country, I'd always hoped somehow they would be able to use it's natural gifts to their advantage but I guess it's just not enough. Breaks my heart, I spent many a summer there as a child fishing and wandering the woods.

but more about what Trump offers them, which they admit is basically nothing of substance.

Johnstown Never Believed Trump Would Help. They Still Love Him Anyway.

'nearly all people who voted for Trump would do it again. But as I compared this year’s answers to last year’s responses it seemed clear that the basis of people’s support had morphed. Johnstown voters do not intend to hold the president accountable for the nonnegotiable pledges he made to them. It’s not that the people who made Trump president have generously moved the goalposts for him. It’s that they have eliminated the goalposts altogether.'

Everyone who has an employable skill has already moved away. Many laid off miners DON"T want to be retrained.

"“I think we’re going to see the end of the world in our generation.”

Coal is a highpoint, even though Coal's own prognostications are coal will continue losing market share in the future.

"So many people in so many other areas of the country watch with dismay and existential alarm Trump’s Twitter hijinks, his petty feuds, his penchant for butting into areas where the president has no explicit, policy-relevant role. All of that only animates his supporters here. For them, Trump is their megaphone. He is the scriptwriter. He is a singularly effective, intuitive creator of a limitless loop of grievance and discontent that keeps them in absolute lockstep"
who gives a shit, when Obama closed up those mines, now it is Trumps fault for TRYING to get them back open. Ah yes, never let a crisis go to waste....

Forum List

Back