One Third of Fruits and Vegetables don't get to Consumers

A lot of fruit and vegetables are fed to livestock. Not all of it is wasted.

But point taken. A great deal of food is thrown away for the sole reason of not being aesthetically pleasing. Most people don't want to buy a "deformed" tomato or carrot. Nor do they want any ugly brown spots on their McDonald's fries. They want perfection.

A lot of fruit and vegetables are fed to livestock. Not all of it is wasted.

But point taken. A great deal of food is thrown away for the sole reason of not being aesthetically pleasing. Most people don't want to buy a "deformed" tomato or carrot. Nor do they want any ugly brown spots on their McDonald's fries. They want perfection.

Feeding human food to livestock is very wasteful.

True about people expecting very uniform food. Your mention of McD's fries - the potatoes have to be very uniform and any that don't "measure up" are thrown away. They are not used. Additionally, McD's gets huge barrels of "flavor". That's how the barrels are marked.

Other companies buy flavor by the barrel too.

We buy a lot of organic produce from nearby Mennonite and its beautiful. It tastes better because it ripens in the fields instead being artificially ripened with gas. I really hate grocery store produce now.

I asked a Wal Mart employee if they were going to mark down the avacados since they were getting over-ripe. He said no, they donate them to a local charity.

I asked a Wal Mart employee if they were going to mark down the avacados since they were getting over-ripe. He said no, they donate them to a local charity.

Used to be all grocery stores donated food. Now its mostly the small independent health food stores, mom and pop stores. If that Walmart really donates food, good for them.

Our local Panera donates all their leftovers every night to the food bank.

ow long ago was that because i thought govt was moving to outlaw that.

Used to be all grocery stores donated food. Now its mostly the small independent health food stores, mom and pop stores. If that Walmart really donates food, good for them.

You should turn on your rep before the big switcho-change-o.
Often times I'd just as rather pos you than neg you.
Guess I'll have to settle for :thup: and :slap:.

I also wonder how much food ISN'T given to charities due to regulations and ordnances.

Wal Mart is the largest donor of foodstuffs at the local pantry. In our sparsely populated county we have one food pantry...and one Wal-Mart. If Wal MArt did not donate their would be much less to give...Since all funds for food pantries by the govt. were cut off with the recession.. Now the gov. of Missouri has cut off all aid to local libraries. Leaving the deficit to be made up by locals...
Why, the legislature decided that tax reduction would help the state.. It hasn't..Now with the food embargo with Russia local farmers will be hurt again by politics, just like during Carter and reagan with the grain embargo of Russia, when they invaded Afghanistan..

Last edited:
I also wonder how much food ISN'T given to charities due to regulations and ordnances.

Which regs or ordinances would that be, oh blogger of USMB? Being outdated is not against the rules since it is just a suggestion date..and many foods have so much preservatives in it to take to the grave when you die...

or a shot of booze would be nice....

Which regs or ordinances would that be, oh blogger of USMB? Being outdated is not against the rules since it is just a suggestion date..and many foods have so much preservatives in it to take to the grave when you die...

Here in Clark County, Nevada, there are a number of rules and regulations that determine what can and cannot be given to charities.

One restaurant owner wanted to donate food left over from the day to homeless people. He was told to stop with a threat of being arrested and fined.

Never underestimate govts ability to fabricate reasons why you shouldnt do something no matter how absurd.

or a shot of booze would be nice....

I don't share my hooch with nobody! :cool:

Here in Clark County, Nevada, there are a number of rules and regulations that determine what can and cannot be given to charities.

One restaurant owner wanted to donate food left over from the day to homeless people. He was told to stop with a threat of being arrested and fined.

I moved to SW Mo to get away from all the damn rules and regs....Unlike when I lived in NW Arkansas..and central Okiehoma..

Forum List

Back