Outlaw health insurance. Only way to control soaring costs

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Not outlaw it entirely, but all plans should come with a large deductible, say $5000 for singles and $10,000 for families. And no more employer-paid health insurance.

Then people would not waste money on annual checkups and run to the doctor for every little thing. And when they went to a doctor, they would shop around for the best price.

• Banned
And of course, we absolutely must revise EMTALA so illegals do not get free health care at hospital ERs. Any congressman who supports emtala is collecting bribes from the illegal alien lobby, i.e. the mexican govt, and should be hung for treason.

Glad to SS is on his meds today. His suggestions on how to handle health care and immigration are more reasonable than usual for him.

• Banned
Glad to SS is on his meds today. His suggestions on how to handle health care and immigration are more reasonable than usual for him.

HAHAHA. The board notes all the loony libs have is the usual personal attacks. Thanks for admitting you have no arguments. HAHA

Not outlaw it entirely, but all plans should come with a large deductible, say $5000 for singles and $10,000 for families. And no more employer-paid health insurance.

Then people would not waste money on annual checkups and run to the doctor for every little thing. And when they went to a doctor, they would shop around for the best price.

Dumbest ideas ever. Health care costs in countries with single payer universal health care are, per capita, half of the per capita costs in the USA.

Over 30% of every health care dollar expended in the USA is for administration of pre-approvals and billing of multiple insurance companies and negotiations of re-imbursement rates. Single payer would eliminate most of those costs and reduce admin costs to under 10%.

Raising deductibles would mean that those seeking care would be sicker and more expensive to treat. Lack of annual physicals is raising the cost of health care in the US.

Perhaps you shouldn't take your car in for twice yearly check ups. When you hear an odd sound in the motor, don't get it checked out or fixed. Wait until it stops working altogether and see how much it costs to fix and how long your car lasts.

• Banned
[
Raising deductibles would mean that those seeking care would be sicker and more expensive to treat. Lack of annual physicals is raising the cost of health care in the US.

Perhaps you shouldn't take your car in for twice yearly check ups. When you hear an odd sound in the motor, don't get it checked out or fixed. Wait until it stops working altogether and see how much it costs to fix and how long your car lasts.

uranidiot who believes everything you hear on oprah. I've never had a physical in my life and i've never had a checkup done on my car. And i've always been healthy and i have very few car problems.

Why can't you see the huge conflict on interest?. Doctors and auto repairmen don't make money unless they "find" something wrong.

• Banned
[.

Over 30% of every health care dollar expended in the USA is for administration of pre-approvals and billing of multiple insurance companies and negotiations of re-imbursement rates. Single payer would eliminate most of those costs and reduce admin costs to under 10%.

30% huh? Whoever gave you that number just pulled it outta their butt.

If you really want to eliminate administrative costs, then you should agree with me and support ending health insurance. THINK

I actually pretty much agree with this. We do need some type of subsidies for very low income earners, and I also believe that rates should not be that much higher as you get older. The only part I disagree with is the part about not going to the doctor for annual checkups. Actually, this is the most important step in preventative treatment. I never went for annual checkups because I was never sick. Had I gone and had some blood work done when I was young, I would not have cirrhosis of the liver today. A simple blood test would have shown that my iron levels were too high.

The one part of health care we keep missing is how important preventative treatment is. It's like keeping your care well maintained and fixing any problems with it when they occur. If you let your car go and don't change the oil and you don't keep your car tuned up, in the end your engine is going to fail and the cost is going to be much more than if you had maintained it in the first place. Same holds true for the human body.

Dumbest ideas ever. Health care costs in countries with single payer universal health care are, per capita, half of the per capita costs in the USA.

Preventative care is at the core of reducing healthcare costs. But I do agree with the idea that insurance should only cover major medical. If people had to pay out of pocket for most basic services, they would shop for the best price. I actually do this because I have always had insurance with higher deductibles. I need to have an ultrasound of my liver once per year. If I go to the hospital to have it done, the cost is over $800. That is with the discount from the insurance company. Instead, I go to a free standing imaging center. I pay them $220 at the time of service. I pay 25% of what it would cost if I went to the hospital. When you have to pay for many things yourself, you are more likely to find the cheapest provider.

I actually pretty much agree with this. We do need some type of subsidies for very low income earners, and I also believe that rates should not be that much higher as you get older. The only part I disagree with is the part about not going to the doctor for annual checkups. Actually, this is the most important step in preventative treatment. I never went for annual checkups because I was never sick. Had I gone and had some blood work done when I was young, I would not have cirrhosis of the liver today. A simple blood test would have shown that my iron levels were too high.

The one part of health care we keep missing is how important preventative treatment is. It's like keeping your care well maintained and fixing any problems with it when they occur. If you let your car go and don't change the oil and you don't keep your car tuned up, in the end your engine is going to fail and the cost is going to be much more than if you had maintained it in the first place. Same holds true for the human body.

Everyone agrees annual checkups do some good, but i maintain they do even more harm as the damn doctors claim the patient has problems that aren't there. Furthermore, most health problems go away on their own. Someone once said "The purpose of doctors is to amuse the patient while nature cures the disease."

I will post a link to the verification of healthcare administration costs when I get home. I can't do it from my iPhone.

My doctor has never found anything wrong at my annual check up. He just says I'm healthy and sends me on my way. He has plenty of patients and doesn't need to pad his billing.

I don't think that shopping around for doctors based on price is always the best option. We're not talking buying a new washer/dryer combo here and there is a lot to be said for dealing with someone who has been your physician for 25 years and knows your history.

It might be a good idea to eliminate health insurance. Go back to basics, I mean the hospital overcharges so they can collect off health insurance. Why should an aspirin cost $10 or $20 bucks?

In Sickness and in Health: The History of Health Insurance

You truly are an ignorant idiot.

Had my mother not ‘run to the doctor’ her breast cancer would not have been detected early. She’s alive and well today because she ‘ran to the doctor.’

Detecting health problems and treating them early is the cornerstone of keeping healthcare costs low – and more importantly, saving lives.

[

It might be a good idea to eliminate health insurance. Go back to basics, I mean the hospital overcharges so they can collect off health insurance. Why should an aspirin cost $10 or $20 bucks?

]

Part of the reason is the hospital treats so many people, mostly illegals, for free. It's insane that we have laws like EMTALA that mandate hospital ERs give free treatment to people that aren't even allowed to be here!!

National Data | EMTALA?Health Care Giveaway To Immigrants | VDARE.com

EMTALA is not just for immigrants, of course. Uninsured U.S. natives receive the same ER privleges. Immigrants and their children, however, account for one-quarter of all uninsured—and more than half (59 percent) of the growth in the uninsured caseload. [Table 1: Who Are The Uninsured?]

Even Mexicans in Mexico regard EMTALA as their entitlement: Ambulances drive from Mexico to U.S. border hospitals, drop off indigent patients, and leave secure in the knowledge that their fares will be admitted.

The drivers apparently know that EMTALA requires hospitals to accept anyone who is within 250 yards of a hospital—no matter how they got there.

[

You truly are an ignorant idiot.

Had my mother not ‘run to the doctor’ her breast cancer would not have been detected early. She’s alive and well today because she ‘ran to the doctor.’

You stupid jackass. One anecdote doesn't prove anything. And besides, your mother would have probably fared better if she had used alternative treatment.

[

]

Part of the reason is the hospital treats so many people, mostly illegals, for free. It's insane that we have laws like EMTALA that mandate hospital ERs give free treatment to people that aren't even allowed to be here!!

National Data | EMTALA?Health Care Giveaway To Immigrants | VDARE.com

EMTALA is not just for immigrants, of course. Uninsured U.S. natives receive the same ER privleges. Immigrants and their children, however, account for one-quarter of all uninsured—and more than half (59 percent) of the growth in the uninsured caseload. [Table 1: Who Are The Uninsured?]

Even Mexicans in Mexico regard EMTALA as their entitlement: Ambulances drive from Mexico to U.S. border hospitals, drop off indigent patients, and leave secure in the knowledge that their fares will be admitted.

The drivers apparently know that EMTALA requires hospitals to accept anyone who is within 250 yards of a hospital—no matter how they got there.

I am normally pretty liberal in most things, but I just don't think we should have health insurance at all.

I don't think it should exist.

If you look at the link in the history of health insurance people got along fine without it,and all it has done is inflated hospital costs and doctor appointment costs.

But if people insist on wanting it then it should be sold like car insurance which is not required in some states.

Drive the price of it down if we must have it.

Also I don't like the idea of the government regulating individuals health.

People who want to use holistic healing are not protected and they should be.

People who argue for abortion rights should be arguing for the right of individuals to consume big gulps and eat processed fat foods if they want to.

There is a serious problem when you are willing to let a government agency decide what is best for your own health imo.

You are almost right.

Health care insurance should be more like auto insurance. Your auto insurance policy doesn't cover new tires or oil changes. Health insurance should not cover routine doctor visits, nor minor medical procedures. PERIOD, it's not a deductible, it's just not covered. Between that and tort reform the cost of health care would be hugely reduced and health insurance would cost less than $100.00 a month.

This is why so many doctors are even now stopping the acceptance of any insurance and going to either cash only or concierge.

[

You are almost right.

Health care insurance should be more like auto insurance. Your auto insurance policy doesn't cover new tires or oil changes. Health insurance should not cover routine doctor visits, nor minor medical procedures. PERIOD, it's not a deductible, it's just not covered. Between that and tort reform the cost of health care would be hugely reduced and health insurance would cost less than $100.00 a month.

This is why so many doctors are even now stopping the acceptance of any insurance and going to either cash only or concierge.

That's pretty much what i said. By having high deductibles people are forced to pay for the small stuff, but are protected when something catastrophic happens to them. I've had a policy like that for years, though it ain't no $100 a month. Lot more.

You are almost right.

$100 per month? You obviously are oblivious to the cost of healthcare in general. While I pretty much agree that basic healthcare should be paid out of pocket, that is not what is expensive. What is expensive is being hosptialized when you are really sick, or being treated for cancer, or any type of major surgery. My late wife battled leukemia for ten months before she lost her battle to the tune of $1.3 million. You don't buy insurance for less than $100 per month that will ever cover $1.3 million in medical bills.

Some of you live in this fantasy world where you believe healthcare costs are no more than a nice dinner at your favorite restaurant. Healthcare is costing us almost 20% of GDP. You don't get it for less than $100 per month.

[

Some of you live in this fantasy world where you believe healthcare costs are no more than a nice dinner at your favorite restaurant. Healthcare is costing us almost 20% of GDP. You don't get it for less than $100 per month.

20% of GDP would be near $3trillion dollars and with 300 million people thats 10,000 dollars a year per person or about $800 a month.

Forum List

Back