Palin thinks the VP runs the Senate

I am arguing for the sake of arguing. So, I am funnin yall a bit.

That said, her statement was a watered down answer to a 3rd grader. I in no way ever thought Sarah Palin has any understanding of the US Constitution. Howver, on the surface, She would be President of the Senate and it is not outside of the realm of possibilities that the VP could take a more active role in the machine that is the US Senate.

Last edited:
:rofl:

My bad, I didn't realize what an intellectual pussy you were. But now I do. :cool:

Okay, I'll play.

The Senate rules give powers to the President pro tempore. These powers are scattered throughout the Senate rules. But are a few of them are, calling votes, appointing chairs, opening and closing the Senate. Now if you would read teh link that I provided, you would find that everytime the President pro-tempore is mentioned, his powers are given in absence of the Vice President. That means that all powers of the President pro tempore are the Powers of the Vice President.

President pro tempore of the United States Senate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Okay, I'll play.

The Senate rules give powers to the President pro tempore. These powers are scattered throughout the Senate rules. But are a few of them are, calling votes, appointing chairs, opening and closing the Senate. Now if you would read teh link that I provided, you would find that everytime the President pro-tempore is mentioned, his powers are given in absence of the Vice President. That means that all powers of the President pro tempore are the Powers of the Vice President.

President pro tempore of the United States Senate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I did take a quick look. I did a search on "in charge" but I came up empty. :badgrin:

Okay, I'll play.

that makes sense....

he still doesnt control the senate though, nor does the vp have a vote in anything, other than the tie breaker...so the vp does not represent us as our senators do nor does he control the agenda of the senate....

Cheating whore. :(

no JS...our relationship is totally one way..you are in to me, not the other way around. :tongue:

crimson, I mean I've added to my list of other repubs on here that I have a slight crush on...Del, you... and maybe gunny a little when he's not calling libs mean names :eusa_whistle:

that makes sense....

he still doesnt control the senate though, nor does the vp have a vote in anything, other than the tie breaker...so the vp does not represent us as our senators do nor does he control the agenda of the senate....

He is the percieved controller of the Senate. He calls for votes, appoints chairs, and by doing this he is essentially in charge, as much as anybody can be in charge of the Senate.

He is the percieved controller of the Senate. He calls for votes, appoints chairs, and by doing this he is essentially in charge, as much as anybody can be in charge of the Senate.

I fear for any branch of government that is either perceived or under actual control by Sarah Palin. She's a danger to any American who believes in the Bill of Rights.

poppycock, guffaw, and boulderdash....sarah can do anything she wants because [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnT9W0ONycc]she's HOT![/ame]

The Constitution grants the VP the authority to preside over the Senate at their will. This position does not give them a vote unless there is a tie. However, the VP can still be present and still be part of the discussion. In the past few administrations, this hasn't been the case. But the fact is the VP still has that authority.
>>

Serious questions: So presiding over the Senate would amount to what? Making sure the rules are followed? Their vote wouldn't count unless theres a tie so if the VP shows up on an average VP do nothing day what exactly would they do there in the Senate?

So you don't think that under the right circumstances that the Executive branch could not broaden this power?

Easier question. Do you think Palin's response might have been a watered down answer for the third grader taht asked the question?

My opinion even tho you didn't ask for it is that the answer Palin gave was the watered down answer someone fed her to give to that third grader. I suspect the third grader understands most things better than Sarah Palin.

i disagree....completely.... these are parliamentory procedures....nothing important...they put the newbie senators in that seat to learn procedures....

what chair does he appoint? other than passing his duties to the pro tempore...who is picked by seniority?

>>

Serious questions: So presiding over the Senate would amount to what? Making sure the rules are followed? Their vote wouldn't count unless theres a tie so if the VP shows up on an average VP do nothing day what exactly would they do there in the Senate?

Read above. Crimson's pointed it out a dozen time. The VP would call for votes, appoint chairs, open and close sessions. They may also choose to participate in discussion. No one ever said that the VP would make the decisions for all the Senate, but they VP COULD have a more active role if they chose.

Forum List

Back