Paris is going to build wall around Eiffel Tower...will they ask Trump for help?

"Paris is going to build wall around Eiffel Tower...will they ask Trump for help?"

I don't know. Are they expecting Mexico or American taxpayers to pay for it?

I just read the lead sentence to the story. I haven't had such a hearty laugh all day. TY.

How does the story open?
"Paris City Hall announced Thursday an eight-foot tall bulletproof glass wall will shield the iconic Belle-Epoque Eiffel Tower from terrorist threats."​
Surely Oliver Lane is aware the Tower is quite a bit taller than eight feet. No damned eight foot wall is going to shield the Eiffel Tower from attack.

d028ae308dc2bb64580d6ef9fafae02c.jpg

Lane later writes, "bulletproof wall will encompass most of the gardens of the Eiffel Tower." Fine, but bullets aren't going to harm the Tower. I guess Lane has never seen it in person. He really should get out more.

Paris is going to build wall around Eiffel Tower...will they ask Trump for help?

Only if they want it built on time and under budget.

I just read the lead sentence to the story. I haven't had such a hearty laugh all day. TY.

How does the story open?
"Paris City Hall announced Thursday an eight-foot tall bulletproof glass wall will shield the iconic Belle-Epoque Eiffel Tower from terrorist threats."​
Surely Oliver Lane is aware the Tower is quite a bit taller than eight feet. No damned eight foot wall is going to shield the Eiffel Tower from attack.

Lane later writes, "bulletproof wall will encompass most of the gardens of the Eiffel Tower." Fine, but bullets aren't going to harm the Tower. I guess Lane has never seen it in person. He really should get out more.
It's to stop people attacking visitors and police on the ground, and to stop people from planting bombs.

How does the story open?

It's to stop people attacking visitors and police on the ground, and to stop people from planting bombs.

You'd think someone credible and who writes for a living would have and could have said exactly that, most especially in a supposed news piece, assuming objectively communicating news is the purpose of the article.

How does the story open?

You'd think someone credible and who writes for a living would have and could have said exactly that, most especially in a supposed news piece, assuming objectively communicating news is the purpose of the article.
Seems kind of obvious :dunno:

There already is a fence and barrier around the base of the tower, and soldiers with semi-auto rifles everywhere.

How does the story open?

Seems kind of obvious :dunno:

Well, it's not obvious at all when one is reading what a news reporter writes. You've surely seen government officials say and do things, implement policy, that is thoroughly absurd (not just by partisan measures). There's no reason to think that is not the case re: the ET wall. At least Lane didn't make it appear that is or is not the case. Indeed, the absurdity of his submitted content suggests it may in fact be the case that this is just an absurd action taken to appear effectual rather than to actually be effectual.

Only if they want it built on time and under budget.
Yes especially since Trump will hire lots of illegals and refuse to pay them.

Sad day when the culturally y rich and beautiful nation of France, just throws in the towel and submits to Islam.

At this rate Sharia Law will reign within a few decades.

What a pathetic bunch of politically correct left wing cowards!!!!

The only hope left for France is if Le Pen is victorious, even then it's probably too late.

The Islamic jihad against France by immigration ,as ordained by Mohamed , has succeeded.

Just too sad.

How does the story open?

Or running people over, like the immigrant did in Nice....

Sad day when the culturally y rich and beautiful nation of France, just throws in the towel and submits to Islam.

The only hope left for France is if Le Pen is victorious, even then it's probably too late.

The Islamic jihad against France by immigration ,as ordained by Mohamed , has succeeded.

Just too sad.
It is in France's nature to capitulate.

How does the story open?

Though I suppose one can run over people anywhere there is a a road and pedestrians, the Quai and G. Eiffel Ave. -- with the large trees all over the place -- would not be where someone would try it. Nevermind that the security around there is already pretty tight, notwithstanding the proposed wall. One of the streets that closes off for the Sunday market is a far better choice. Hundreds of people who are thoroughly unsuspecting and who really can't get out of the way due to the farmers' carts and tables set up along the side of the street.

IMG_9283.JPG

Alternatively, central Paris (esp. where the 1st, 4th, 5th and 6th all more or less meet) being what it is, there're also just myriad streets where people walk in the street and occasionally a car comes down the street, so they move. Such places quite often are just off an actually busy street.

Surely you remember Claude Monet's rue Montorgueil?

claude-monet-1840-1926-french-painter-the-rue-montorgueil-paris-1878-the-impressionist-flags.jpg

Well, this is that street today.

IMG_6033.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg

monet%2B10.jpg

There are literally hundreds upon hundreds of streets like that, and there's absolutely nothing stopping a car from plowing right through there.

Another good place is George V Avenue right outside the hotel of the same name. There're always throngs of star struck gawkers vying for glimpse of a celeb or someone who drives up in a fancy car.

the-dream-car-outside.jpg

There are scores of other "good" places to run over people in Paris, which is very much a walkers' city, but around the Eiffel Tower is just a lame choice.

Just too sad.
It is in France's nature to capitulate.

It makes me sad.
To throw their culture down the drain.....just like that...for the sake of those middle ages Islamic savages....

How does the story open?

Though I suppose one can run over people anywhere there is a a road and pedestrians, the Quai and G. Eiffel Ave. -- with the large trees all over the place -- would not be where someone would try it. Nevermind that the security around there is already pretty tight, notwithstanding the proposed wall. One of the streets that closes off for the Sunday market is a far better choice. Hundreds of people who are thoroughly unsuspecting and who really can't get out of the way due to the farmers' carts and tables set up along the side of the street.

IMG_9283.JPG

Alternatively, central Paris (esp. where the 1st, 4th, 5th and 6th all more or less meet) being what it is, there're also just myriad streets where people walk in the street and occasionally a car comes down the street, so they move. Such places quite often are just off an actually busy street.

claude-monet-1840-1926-french-painter-the-rue-montorgueil-paris-1878-the-impressionist-flags.jpg

IMG_6033.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg

monet%2B10.jpg

There are literally hundreds upon hundreds of streets like that, and there's absolutely nothing stopping a car from plowing right through there.

Another good place is George V Avenue right outside the hotel of the same name. There're always throngs of star struck gawkers vying for glimpse of a celeb or someone who drives up in a fancy car.

There are scores of other "good" places to run over people in Paris, which is very much a walkers' city, but around the Eiffel Tower is just a lame choice.
Actually they are building obstructions like bollards all over the place, so people can still enjoy the spaces but vehicles cannot mow people down.

How does the story open?

IMG_9283.JPG

IMG_6033.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg

monet%2B10.jpg

Actually they are building obstructions like bollards all over the place, so people can still enjoy the spaces but vehicles cannot mow people down.

Well, they must have put them up on Rue Montorgueil between last month and now. That's the Sunday market I go to when I'm in Paris on a Sunday, and it's not quite been a whole month since I was there. Montorgueil, like many streets, doesn't get much traffic but it does get traffic. Pedestrians, locals especially, routinely walk down the middle of the street and just move when a vehicle approaches. Divers don't go flying by in that part of Paris anyway; it's just not like driving on any of the Quais, the Arc or out in the business area of the Le Grande Arche (La Defense). But, yes, in the touristy areas like the Arc and Place de La Concorde, le Louvre, etc. there are bollards or other obstructions to prevent cars from entering.

Out of curiosity, just what do you think businesses there do for deliveries? There aren't alleys behind the buildings and let me assure you, the butchers don't go strolling down the road with a side of beef on a cart. The Middle Ages are long since gone, as are Monet's days. LOL

Last edited:

Forum List

Back