Pastor doubles down on 'America: Love or leave it' sign as members walk out

After President Trump's controversial comments about the "Squad" last week, where he said that if someone doesn't want to be in the country they should leave, a Virginia church's sign went viral for its message.

"America: love or leave it," read the sign at Friendship Baptist Church sign in Appomattox, Va., to preview Sunday's message. The sign drew national support and condemnation throughout the week but during the church's Sunday School, some congregants staged a walkout, WSET-TV reported.

Last week, Pastor E. W. Lucas, who put up the sign after Trump's tweet, told the local station people upset with Trump's comments "ought to go over there and live in these other countries for a little while
".......(snip)

ME: I like this pastor. I'm a Catholic, not a Baptist, but he's okay with me

I am old enough to remember when churches talked about Jesus and not Trump.

After President Trump's controversial comments about the "Squad" last week, where he said that if someone doesn't want to be in the country they should leave, a Virginia church's sign went viral for its message.

"America: love or leave it," read the sign at Friendship Baptist Church sign in Appomattox, Va., to preview Sunday's message. The sign drew national support and condemnation throughout the week but during the church's Sunday School, some congregants staged a walkout, WSET-TV reported.

Last week, Pastor E. W. Lucas, who put up the sign after Trump's tweet, told the local station people upset with Trump's comments "ought to go over there and live in these other countries for a little while
".......(snip)

Worked out well...:laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301:

But he apparently did not receive full support from his congregation. WSET reported that on Sunday the 11 a.m. service was empty and some members were leading others out during service. The church's Facebook page was down on Monday.

Fox News reached out to the church but the phone was disconnected.

Finally a pastor I can appreciate.

One who has apparently killed his church in a matter of a week?

I take it you are one of the leavers.

Either that or I read the article that his service was basically empty by the end, the facebook page for the church has been removed and its telephone has been disconnected. that town of 1700 has 33 churches, 22 baptists. Sounds to me like they didn't love it, so they left it.

I doubt he's in any trouble:

“Preachers, by and large, today, are afraid they’re gonna hurt somebody’s feelings," Lucas told WSET, "and when I get in the pulpit, I’m afraid I won’t hurt somebody’s feelings.”

Guy's a winner.

Yep, he is a winner without a congregation.

Sounds like the church should lose its tax exemption...

For having the correct interpretation of the word of god?

I don't think so.

Trump is GOD?

Or are you suggesting that GOD said "America: Love it or Leave it"?

Yes, to Norman, Trump is god. He makes about a dozen worship threads about Trump a week.

No.

Trump is the God-Emperor, Gator, the God-Emperor.

Also I do not make unnecessary worship threads in his name. His heroic actions speak louder than any words could. Go home, Gator.

I would have walked out.

I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me.”

I would have walked out.

I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me.”

A other liberal who claims to know or give a crap about what Jesus said?

The love it of leave it ultimatum is an affront to practically everything Jesus taught.

Finally a pastor I can appreciate.

One who has apparently killed his church in a matter of a week?

It's good to clean out the dead wood every once in a while.

Okay. I live in Virginia. It doesn't take much for congregations to split apart (as evidenced by the previous stat that this town of 1700 has 33 churches, 22 of them Baptist. Baptists and Apostolic churches are the world's worst about that in this area). That conservative butthurt pretending they are the true victims often plays itself out behind the doors of worship centers in some very peculiar ways especially when you add in that conservative ego that they know better than everybody else.

".......(snip)

Sounds like a pastor from hell. Would he have done that to Martin Luther King for complaining about segregation. He has as much to do with God as the devil.

So, congregants staged a walk out during Sunday School without hearing the Morning Message?

Listen to the message first then make an informed opinion. Don't form your opinion before getting the information.

As for the walk out, I'm willing to bet those who walked out were looking for an excuse to leave or they didn't belong to the church.

The pastor is the one who is fake. He clearly has no clue what makes America great. Criticizing the country to make it better is patriotic.

".......(snip)

Anything to be put in the spotlight. This is what is meant when the Church intrudes in politics.
Wait, so you are opposed to all the Black Churches that support defend and invite democrats to give speeches at their churches? Or is that different?

No as long as they keep it in church and do not put signs outside with the intent to copy what the Potus said.

Sounds like the church should lose its tax exemption...
Do you say that about all the black churches that support democrats?

I would say that about any church that injects politics into their worship.

By the tenor of your question, I'm guessing that you assume I'm a Democrat. You'd be wrong. Very wrong.
and yet not one post by you not one thread anywhere where you called out the hundreds of Black churches that serve the democratic party.

Forum List

Back