Paul Skenes pulled after pitching 7 no-hit innings

Have you ever heard of Kerry Wood? Is this the future you want for Skenes? After his rookie season his arm blew up the next year. He was never the same. And Wood is not a one-off. Like I said 36 PERCENT OF ALL MLB PITCHERS have had Tommy John surgeries. Without Tommy John every last one of them their careers would be over.

.how often does a pitcher go into the 8th inning with a no hitter?...not very often for most of them,,,,if one is, going the extra 2 that one time isnt going to wreck the guy.....if they hit him in the 8th,then pull him....

gee aint baseball fans so lucky....i guess i should feel lucky i got to see 2 of Ryans no hitters....
You are.

But the fact is, Nolan Ryan of the past would not fare as well, in today's game. In his day, anyone who threw 95+ was a unicorn. If a pitcher threw 90 consitently, it was notable.

Now, if a pitcher throws 90, they don't get past single A ball, unless their breaking stuff is their best pitch.

Today, Nolan Ryan would be throwing 98 against guys who saw 98 every single game and, often, every single AB for the last month.

You are.

But the fact is, Nolan Ryan of the past would not fare as well, in today's game. In his day, anyone who threw 95+ was a unicorn. If a pitcher threw 90 consitently, it was notable.

Now, if a pitcher throws 90, they don't get past single A ball, unless their breaking stuff is their best pitch.

Today, Nolan Ryan would be throwing 98 against guys who saw 98 every single game and, often, every single AB for the last month.
if he was around today he would throwing 100 quite often....

look i understand what you guys are saying,but if a guy has a no hitter going after 7 i think he should be allowed to go for it....he may never have that chance again...2 more innings aint going to destroy the guy...
I get that too. But that's where the importance of the team outweighs individual accomplishment. And good pitchers are just so valuable.

I get that too. But that's where the importance of the team outweighs individual accomplishment. And good pitchers are just so valuable.
any pitcher would want the no hitter....and i bet his teammates would like to help him get it....like i said 2 more innings aint going to wreck the guy...you can throw out your arm doing 6 innings too....just look at the pitchers today on the DL...

any pitcher would want the no hitter....and i bet his teammates would like to help him get it....like i said 2 more innings aint going to wreck the guy...you can throw out your arm doing 6 innings too....just look at the pitchers today on the DL...
"2 more innings"

Again though, it's more than that. What about the next 4, similar games? What about his next 15 starts? Those wins are just as important.

The legend of this kid is growing. If you have not seen him pitch yet you can see him start the All-Star game on Tuesday.

MILWAUKEE -- Paul Skenes has never thrown a no-hitter. Not in college. Not in high school. Attribute a lot of that to him being a catcher rather than a pitcher primarily while growing up.

Skenes came darn close Thursday at American Family Field, spinning seven no-hit innings while matching a career-high 11 strikeouts as the Pirates took the road series against the Brewers with a 1-0 win.

It wasn’t until the sixth or seventh inning when Skenes finally started to notice that he had a chance at history, partially because it was a tie game until Yasmani Grandal doubled home Jack Suwinski in the top of the seventh for the only run of the game.

If he had stopped to think about it, Skenes might have found out that he was making some history. This was his eighth straight start with at least seven strikeouts, the longest streak by a Pirates pitcher.

It was his second start of at least 11 strikeouts over six or more no-hit innings, joining Nolan Ryan as the only American/National League players to do that in the same season. Ryan did it in 1973 and, it should be noted, he completed the no-hitter in both of those efforts.

And, oh yeah, it lowered Skenes’ ERA to 1.90 with 89 strikeouts through 11 starts, the fifth-most K’s through 11 starts in MLB history since 1901. There’s a reason why this 22-year-old kid is an All-Star already.

Nolan Rayan was great

And if this kid came along in 1973 he might have a no hitter

But the game has changed

Managers dont like to trust pitchers for 9 innings

"2 more innings"

Again though, it's more than that. What about the next 4, similar games? What about his next 15 starts? Those wins are just as important.
ok?....he isnt going to be throwing a no hitter every game.....and you can throw your arm out just as easily pitching 6 innings as you can 9....not many pitchers get to the eighth inning with a no hitter...

Forum List

Back