Paul Skenes pulled after pitching 7 no-hit innings

I listen a lot of John Smoltz. He thinks the pitch count thing is just covering up what is really going on. Teams are wearing out their pitchers, and have been for the past ten years. Young players have to adapt to today's style. If they don't, then another young guy takes their place.

Smoltz blames management for all the injuries of pitchers. The pitch count thing is just smoke and mirrors for what is really going on.
What’s the context of that comment? What are teams doing today that’s wearing pitchers out that they weren’t doing in the past?

Steele 95 pitches
Estes 92
Sanchez 101
Stone 103
Ober 89
Gausman 109
Valdez 106
Garrett 95
Fried 105
Nola 109
Keller 109
Fried 92
Houck 94
Suarez 112
Blanco 105

6 of them had fewer than 100 pitches
none of them are rookies
none of them had 100 in the 7th inning.

Sanchez, Stone, Valdez Fried, and Blanco all went into the 9th under 100 pitches.

So no, you don't know more than the people who are paid to do this for a living and no they dont agree with you.
hey couch you said no one agrees with me apparently some do...i dont give a fuck how many pitches they threw they completed the fucking game...

hey couch you said no one agrees with me apparently some do...i dont give a fuck how many pitches they threw they completed the fucking game...
The reason they pulled Skenes after the 7th was because of pitch count which you know because you’ve been arguing that pitch counts don’t matter. Poor attempt at deflection.

The entire thread has been about pitch count as that’s why they pulled him. If he ends the 7th with 80 pitches I’m sure he pitches the 8th.
and i said i got that...what i was saying if you are pitching a no hitter that late in the game if he feels ok and wants to go for it,let him go for it,he may never get that close again,if they hit him in the 8th then pull him....an arm problem can happen within 6 innings to....there was a pitcher on the news who was in the 3rd inning and had leave after a pitch,he was cradling his arm as they walked him off.......

and i said i got that...what i was saying if you are pitching a no hitter that late in the game if he feels ok and wants to go for it,let him go for it,he may never get that close again,if they hit him in the 8th then pull him....an arm problem can happen within 6 innings to....there was a pitcher on the news who was in the 3rd inning and had leave after a pitch,he was cradling his arm as they walked him off.......
And the point we are making is that the people in the MLB who are paid to know don’t agree with you and you said well there are 17 complete games this year. Then when I posted those games and the pitch counts your story changed.

And the point we are making is that the people in the MLB who are paid to know don’t agree with you and you said well there are 17 complete games this year. Then when I posted those games and the pitch counts your story changed.

With Smoltz point being that "those paid to know" only care about spin rate which is going to ruin every arm, not how well the guy can get people out.

With Smoltz point being that "those paid to know" only care about spin rate which is going to ruin every arm, not how well the guy can get people out.
Which is precisely why monitoring pitch counts is important. I respect Smoltz but he’s from a different era, isn’t a pitching coach or a doctor. There’s no doubt that the emphasis on velocity, and spin rate is affecting the longevity of pitchers arms, running up pitch counts on young arms won’t help that situation.

Which is precisely why monitoring pitch counts is important. I respect Smoltz but he’s from a different era, isn’t a pitching coach or a doctor. There’s no doubt that the emphasis on velocity, and spin rate is affecting the longevity of pitchers arms, running up pitch counts on young arms won’t help that situation.

It's inevitable. Just like they are expendable.

Heard Buster Olney say you have to go back to 1981 to find a pitcher with as hot a start in their first 3 months in the Majors. This guy also started for the NL in the All Star game as a rookie.

Fernando-Valenzuela-02-062023-b78488a76785453f9822f4434a6488e2.jpg

my story hasn't changed at all...thats the 2nd time you have accused me of saying something i didnt say....go back to your fucking couch...

Forum List

Back