Post N.S shooting, THIS is the article CBC publishes? "Speculation of motive in mass shootings 'rarely helpful to society': Experts"

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
A peculiar article to publish, by state run media, just as Canadians are demanding answers on motive.

Why would someone write such an article and why would CBC not allow comments on it? Just who is he trying to persuade to NOT demand answers for yet another security failure? Now all of a sudden understanding motive, "doensn't matter" to the lowly common people, that's only for experts.

I hope you all follow this to see just how transparent Canadian media is on this.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia-shootings-psychiatrists-motive-1.5540911

In the aftermath of a horrific event like the Nova Scotia massacre, everyone searches for reasons. But experts say that's not really productive and won't help prevent another tragedy.

Media speculation about the motive in a mass shooting typically yields no useful information, is "rarely helpful to society" and can be potentially harmful by encouraging copycats some forensic psychiatrists say.

"The risk by plastering motive all over the media, it gives would-be future shooters more of an opportunity to identify with past shooters," said Dr. James Knoll, director of forensic psychiatry at SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, N.Y.

"It gives them more to identify with and maybe more encouragement."

Knoll said when someone who is troubled, unhappy and mulling committing such a violent act reads about another shooter's motives, they may think: "Yeah. I feel that way, too. That's exactly like me."

"How much lavish detail do we need to dissect in terms of motive in the media about these folks? And is it good for the public or not good for the public? I strongly suspect it's not," Knoll said.

We got the same treatment with Stephen Paddock, the Las Vegas Shooter. I still think he was a left-wing wack job, but the media was strangely silent.

Forum List

Back