Printers??

XPostFacto

VIP Member
May 17, 2013
The Sticks
I have a relatively older printer, an HP Photosmart 8150 that I purchased for the sole purpose of printing out photos for my wife. She is computer illiterate and even digital camera illiterate. She wants her photos in her hot little hands and doesn't want to have to contend with turning on the computer, going through the loops and having to find them on the PC.

Lately, I have noticed that I can no longer get the HP 99 cartridges. My printer takes the 97 and 99 cartridges, but 99's can't be found in the retail stores. In fact, the sales personnel give me a blank look and inform me that they no longer carry the cartridge. My only solution is Amazon.com at a cheaper price, too. I have looked at maybe getting a new printer, and the inkjets out there, look promising with the combination scanner, fax, and copiers, but what concerns me is how many ink cartridges are required? I was checking an HP for about $150, and it mentioned 6 cartridges. Now, do they mean I have to use all 6, or are they listing these 6 as variables for just the one or two cartridges I need? If the printers are now requiring 6 cartridges at $40 a piece, then HP, Canon, Epson, and the rest can keep their printers. I'll just see if I can find a 99 source somewhere out there. I'm looking for input from you computer geeks out there. What kind of printers are you using, and what do you recommend?

Last edited:
Okay, what kinds of printers are you folks using out there? I have ordered the 99 cartridge from Amazon.com, but I am now looking at maybe getting the HP Office Jet Pro 8600 for around the $150 price. It faxes, scans, copies, and prints. It's one of those several in one printers. It appears to only have 2 cartridges, but several I have looked at require at least six cartridges to work properly.

I too have the same printer when I bought it with the HP Pavilion Slimline to replace my Kodak picture printer.

I used the 97and 98 inl, but the ink is around 40 bucks a Wally World. I have retired it and usually by a cheap 25 dollar printer every time the ink runs out, so now I have like 4 printers.

Currently I am using a Canon Pixma all in one.

The number one item embezzlers steal in the business world is ink cartridges. My question is why s ink so high/
They had the refillable ink with a hypo needle looking instrument and then the printer manufacturers changed the cartridges to where you could not use it.
Damn their oily hides!

There's ink that you can buy that let's you refill ink cartridges at home. I think it's about $15 and it'll last you forever. It replaces 3 or 4 $30+ cartridges that you'd otherwise have to buy.

And it works perfectly. You could try that then you wouldn't need to find what you're looking for.

There are lots of printers on the market under $100 that not only print but copy and fax. Just pick any known maker from Best Buy or Staples.

Email the picture files to Walgreen's or Wal mart. Then go pick them up within the hour.
Much cheaper.

Well, that's an idea, but I'd have to put the 3 MB each files on a CD because e-mailing that poundage is next to impossible on my restrictive Hughesnet satellite system.

OMG. I struggled with so-called satellite broadband. It was horrible.
G'luck. :thup:

That's the beauty of living in a rural area, no Internet or TV to speak of, and having to drive miles to work. I'm retired now and hardly go anywhere, unless it's to the doctor, or to Walmart. We do have a local cable company, but they stopped laying fiber optics at the bridge over a swamp. I unfortunately am located on the side not reached by the cables. I don't like satellite, but it's that or dial up, and with dial up, I was lucky to connect at 21.6 K with download speeds of 2.75 K.

Forum List

Back