Proof Stand Your Ground Laws Increase Crime

Howey

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2013
Like we didn't already know it, right? We don't need crazy old men waving their pistols in their front yards.

Homicides increase under the "castle doctrine" or Stand Your Ground laws, according to two studies published since 2012, while the laws do not appear to deter crime in any significant way.

Researchers at Georgia State and Texas A&M universities used different methodologies and data sources to reach their conclusions, but they ended up in the same place: More people are killed after these laws are passed.

Researchers at Texas A&M University, for a study published in the Journal of Human Resources, concluded that homicides had increased by 8 percent in the more than 20 states that had passed "castle doctrine" laws, many of which include Stand Your Ground provisions. That equals 600 additional homicides every year in those states, they wrote.

At the same time, however, the researchers found no detectable decrease in burglary, robbery or aggravated assault.

"Collectively, these findings suggest that incentives do matter in one important sense: lowering the threshold for the justified use of lethal force results in more of it," the authors concluded in the report. "On the other hand, there is also a limit to the power of incentives, as criminals are apparently not deterred when victims are empowered to use lethal force to protect themselves."

As the Texas A&M researchers noted in that 2013 study, their findings aligned with those of a 2012 study published by Georgia State University on Stand Your Ground laws.

The Georgia State researchers found that homicides in states with those laws increased by 7.1 percent. In particular, they detected an increase in homicides among white males, while the effect was mostly negligible among white females and blacks.

"Whether or not these killings should be considered justified in this case is beyond the purpose of this paper," they wrote. "However, it cannot be argued that the SYG laws are saving the lives of innocent people in this scenario as these individuals would not have been killed in the first place."

Last edited:
What a bunch of worthless, unscientific hogwash.

How does a law protecting crime victims from prosecution if they "stand their ground" and use "lethal force" to defend themselves equate with an increase in homicides?

Exactly how many citizens exercised their "right" to defend themselves with lethal force during the time period that was used for this statistical analysis?

Oops, sorry for pissing on your parade!

It's really not about deterring crime. It's about executing any minority mother fucker that breaks down your door. It's about self-preservation.

It's really not about deterring crime. It's about executing any minority mother fucker that breaks down your door. It's about self-preservation.

Why did you use the word "minority" in your statement? I call BULLSHIT on that one.

Where I live, the vast majority of criminals are WHITE losers and users.

Why did you use the word "minority" in your statement? I call BULLSHIT on that one.

The study actually stated the crime rate had increased among whites, not blacks.

We don't live in the same place and the statistics in my area don't lie. It could be any asshole, but the culprit is most likely going to be a minority person, of which, I am a member. It's the same reason a cop will follow a black guy in a 1986 Cutlass Supreme with 25 inch wheels rather than an Escalade weaving across the wake up stripe with some dumb bimbo playing on her retarded smart phone.

My car was broken into 5 times, and only once was it a white dude. That is because minorities are broken, especially if they're black. They're broken because their families have been broken for decades and they're economically, and socially screwed.

Like we didn't already know it, right? We don't need crazy old men waving their pistols in their front yards.

Homicides increase under the "castle doctrine" or Stand Your Ground laws, according to two studies published since 2012, while the laws do not appear to deter crime in any significant way.

Researchers at Georgia State and Texas A&M universities used different methodologies and data sources to reach their conclusions, but they ended up in the same place: More people are killed after these laws are passed.

Researchers at Texas A&M University, for a study published in the Journal of Human Resources, concluded that homicides had increased by 8 percent in the more than 20 states that had passed "castle doctrine" laws, many of which include Stand Your Ground provisions. That equals 600 additional homicides every year in those states, they wrote.

At the same time, however, the researchers found no detectable decrease in burglary, robbery or aggravated assault.

"Collectively, these findings suggest that incentives do matter in one important sense: lowering the threshold for the justified use of lethal force results in more of it," the authors concluded in the report. "On the other hand, there is also a limit to the power of incentives, as criminals are apparently not deterred when victims are empowered to use lethal force to protect themselves."

As the Texas A&M researchers noted in that 2013 study, their findings aligned with those of a 2012 study published by Georgia State University on Stand Your Ground laws.

The Georgia State researchers found that homicides in states with those laws increased by 7.1 percent. In particular, they detected an increase in homicides among white males, while the effect was mostly negligible among white females and blacks.

"Whether or not these killings should be considered justified in this case is beyond the purpose of this paper," they wrote. "However, it cannot be argued that the SYG laws are saving the lives of innocent people in this scenario as these individuals would not have been killed in the first place."

Funny how you find studies that prove your side when the FBI keeps insisting that they are going down.

More criminals SHOULD be killed. Im upset that it hasn't resulted in a bigger increase than that. Imagine how much better off we would all be if all violent attackers were shot dead in every incident.

Proof Stand Your Ground Laws Increase Crime

The problem is actually ignorance of the doctrine on the part of citizens and law enforcement, not CD/SYG laws per se.

Consequently, when those ignorant of the law take inappropriate action in what they believe to be within the context of the doctrine, they end up charged with murder.

Forum List

Back