QM and General Relativity may have finally been merged

Nobody has time to read through all that without some idea of what the content is. How about summarizing it in a paragraph or two and note the pertinent parts of the article so we can know whether we want to spend that much time or effort?
It won't make any sense without some physics background, but the authors are presenting the holy grail of physics- the uniting of gravity, the strong nuclear force, the weak nuclear force, and electromagnetism into a single "theory of everything".

They started with Einstein's field equation for gravity and modified it to make it compatible with quantum physics, and then derived some of the fundamental equations of particle physics from it. In the process, they eliminated some major nagging problems in physics and cosmology. They accomplished this in a very simple manner- they propose a minimum possible unit of time and a minimum possible unit of space, and they make gravity (the effect of mass on space) symmetrical. It is a remarkable thing.

They also took something that was considered inviolable- the rest mass of the electron is considered a fundamental constant- and they made it variable. This will cause some serous heartburn for some particle physicists!

So it must be viewed with a great deal of caution right now, and will be scrutinized and attacked mercilessly, as it should be. But if it holds up, it is an amazing achievement- guaranteed Nobel Prize work that will put their names alongside the greatest physicists in history.

The authors derive the mass and charges of the up and down quarks proportional to the electron, so the treatment provides the nuclei and electrons are changing at the same rate.

The relevant para (bolded part mine):
"As the universe expands, the charge and mass of electrons decreases, resulting in less interaction in the aging universe. The electron charge and mass are no longer constant. They depended on the radius of the universe at the time.
We can consider the mass of the quark in terms of the mass of the electron in the same way, considering the charge. For the up and down quarks, the charges were 2/3e and -1/3e respectively. Because a quark is equivalent to a confined electron in the fractal dimension of space–time, it results in a larger interaction energy.
The mass of the down quark, md should be proportional to (3e)2
because we divide the electron into 1/3 fractal dimensions. Hence,
md = 9e2 = 9me = 4.5 MeV, (SM value 4.8 MeV)
the same reason for up quark is for fractal dimension ½. Therefore, its
mass
mu = (2e)2 = 4e2 = 4me = 2 MeV (SM value 2.2 MeV)."

e is the electric charge.
m is the electron mass

The fine structure constant is proportional to e^2.
The Rydberg constant is proportional to m e^4

Those two constants control the hydrogen atomic spectrum. Even if the mass of the electron and proton track linearly, the basic hydrogen spectrum will change by the fourth power of e. The fine structure constant will not change as much.

I really shouldn't criticize the work until I understand it more than I do now, but that is one thing I need to resolve. I am sure the authors have it covered.

It won't make any sense without some physics background, but the authors are presenting the holy grail of physics- the uniting of gravity, the strong nuclear force, the weak nuclear force, and electromagnetism into a single "theory of everything".

They started with Einstein's field equation for gravity and modified it to make it compatible with quantum physics, and then derived some of the fundamental equations of particle physics from it. In the process, they eliminated some major nagging problems in physics and cosmology. They accomplished this in a very simple manner- they propose a minimum possible unit of time and a minimum possible unit of space, and they make gravity (the effect of mass on space) symmetrical. It is a remarkable thing.

They also took something that was considered inviolable- the rest mass of the electron is considered a fundamental constant- and they made it variable. This will cause some serous heartburn for some particle physicists!

So it must be viewed with a great deal of caution right now, and will be scrutinized and attacked mercilessly, as it should be. But if it holds up, it is an amazing achievement- guaranteed Nobel Prize work that will put their names alongside the greatest physicists in history.
Thank you for that analysis. I don't know you, but I will accept that you know more about it than I probably ever will. LOL.

But you know, since more and more people are going for PhDs, and their doctoral thesis is required to be of a unique and uncharted topic, I think a lot of these people are inventing things to study in order to come up with a thesis topic. I think a lot of these things probably fall into that particular phenomenon.

And I agree that's why a 'peer reviewed study' should always be viewed within the scope of what we already know and can't be accepted just because it is a 'scientific study.' Scientists are fallible and can be dishonest human beings just as every other type of human beings can be.

But you are right that if a new concept of science holds up, it moves us forward in what we know. And I am pretty sure we currently have a teensy fraction of all the science there yet to learn.

Those two constants control the hydrogen atomic spectrum. Even if the mass of the electron and proton track linearly, the basic hydrogen spectrum will change by the fourth power of e.
This is a good observation and I will have to ponder it.

Would not the change would reflect the difference between me^4 then vs. now? Not the fourth power of e, but the change in the fourth power of e over time?

As I understand it, the constant is a reflection of the difference in energy states of orbitals, and if the charge of the proton is changing at the same rate as the charge of the electron, the differential should remain the same? (it's late here and my brain is getting fuzzy ;))

Last edited:

Forum List

Back