Quantum computing expert revises prediction from 20-40 yrs to 5-10 yrs

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Quantum computing expert revises prediction from 20-40 yrs to 5-10 yrs

A seminal moment in the quantum technology field just happened: Google's team of scientists have simulated a hydrogen molecule from its quantum computers, a breakthrough that suggests it could “simulate even larger chemical systems,” writes one of Google Quantum’s engineers, Ryan Rabbush. The search engine’s achievement underscores the technology’s potential as Rabbush posits it can “revolutionize the design of solar cells, industrial catalysts, batteries, flexible electronics, medicines, materials and more.”
For years, popular view in the tech world was that widespread adoption of this technology is many decades away. However, some industry experts have revised their forecasts. “Personally, I have started looking into this field about seven years ago… [back then] I was convinced it was going to be a long time before we have real production usage of quantum computing,” says the Acronis boss. At that time, he predicted this reality would materialize in 20 to 40 years. However, this industry veteran doesn’t hold that view now. “In the past two years, especially in the past year, there have been many advances in the field which were very hard to predict so it’s possible that these changes [can arrive closer to] the next five to ten years,” he says. “Personally, I thinks it will be less than 10 years.”

Going to get very interesting!

Forum List

Back