Zone1 Question about Jesus

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
Oscar Wilde said it best, "If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they will kill you"

Should Jesus have pursued a life of a standup comedian instead?

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much"

Oscar Wilde

And no, I'm not starting an Oscar Wilde religion, thanks for asking.

Oscar Wilde said it best, "If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they will kill you"

maybe he could be both.

i'm sure plenty of preachers use humor in their sermons, and more than a few comedians have "messages"

Man is flawed. That is the premise I am going with. Those that object must provide an example of a flawless human being other than Christ who was God in the flesh.

Good luck with that.

Trouble is, no one likes to be told they are wrong when confronted with the truth, about anything really when someone points out those flaws.

You then have two choices, become arrogant and belligerent when confronted with the truth as you refuse to recieve the truth or become humble that leads to repentance if you accept it. It is not just a religious view; it is simply common sense.

That is why the word of God is called a double-bladed sword. It can cut either way.

But if you are using the blade and feel no discomfort, all that can be said is, "You are using it wrong".

Last edited:
maybe he could be both.

i'm sure plenty of preachers use humor in their sermons, and more than a few comedians have "messages"
There was the whole mission of coming to die on a cross, for our sins yada, yada, yada, so I reckon self-preservation would have been counter productive to even coming in the first place

So, there is that.

no.

Jesus could tell us the truth about heaven and hell, ye must be born again, and that he is the way the truth, and the life. No man had any power to kill Jesus. Jesus gave up his own life, and shed his own blood for the sins of whosoever shall believe and walk in the holy righteousness of God's Word.

We believers are ambassadors of God and Jesus, and we must go out and do likewise just as Jesus did. Much persecution awaits us for telling others the truth. God will deliver us.

God says those who try to save their lives by shutting their mouths about the truth in order to avoid persecution; they will lose their lives.

no.

Jesus could tell us the truth about heaven and hell, ye must be born again, and that he is the way the truth, and the life. No man had any power to kill Jesus. Jesus gave up his own life, and shed his own blood for the sins of whosoever shall believe and walk in the holy righteousness of God's Word.

We believers are ambassadors of God and Jesus, and we must go out and do likewise just as Jesus did. Much persecution awaits us for telling others the truth. God will deliver us.

God says those who try to save their lives by shutting their mouths about the truth in order to avoid persecution; they will lose their lives.
So, God is unable to use humor for his purpose?

Really?

I disagree.

If you ask me, the greatest obstacle to God is being confronted with an all-powerful and all-knowing and all loving God, all while the world suffers from the ravages of sin. If you ask me, that is where humor comes from. When suffering, you then have two options, cry or laugh, both of which, when you are done, make you feel a bit better. Telling people not to laugh is like telling them not to cry. Personally, I like laughter more because it is like pissing on the heads of your personal demons. It is liberating.

As a bonus, laughter seems to drive leftists insane, which then leads to even more laughter.

It's a win/win.

So, God is unable to use humor for his purpose?

Really?

I disagree.

If you ask me, the greatest obstacle to God is being confronted with an all-powerful and all-knowing and all loving God, all while the world suffers from the ravages of sin. If you ask me, that is where humor comes from. When suffering, you then have two options, cry or laugh, both of which, when you are done, make you feel a bit better. Telling people not to laugh is like telling them not to cry. Personally, I like laughter more because it is like pissing on the heads of your personal demons. It is liberating.

As a bonus, laughter seems to drive leftists insane, which then leads to even more laughter.

It's a win/win.

You are wrong. God is not like us. God is serious in everything He tells us. God is NOT a comedian. Comedians are liars. God is not a man that he should lie - not EVER.

Jesus never laughed about anything - not one thing. One burning in hell is extremely serious. Jesus said ye MUST be born again. No humor is attached to that. It is very serious.

You are wrong. God is not like us. God is serious in everything He tells us. God is NOT a comedian. Comedians are liars. God is not a man that he should lie - not EVER.

Jesus never laughed about anything - not one thing. One burning in hell is extremely serious. Jesus said ye MUST be born again. No humor is attached to that. It is very serious.
1725805787135.png

Comedians are liars?

Well......................the BIble says that everyone lies, and you have to be an everyone to be a comedian.............so................................sure.

Whatever.

Do you even know why comedy works in the first place? It is because there is truth in there somewheres.

It's the only reason it works.

Genesis 21:6 Sarah said, “God has made laughter for me; everyone who hears will laugh with me.”

Apparently Sarah did not get your memo.

Too bad for her.

Ok, off to hell then.

Man is flawed. That is the premise I am going with. Those that object must provide an example of a flawless human being other than Christ who was God in the flesh.

this is the reason for the 1st century repudiation of judaism's false commandments, heredity idolatry ...

those people and jesus believed liberation theology, self determination is how the spirit frees itself for admission to the everlasting - than what was the prevailing religion of servitude and denial as what became christianity and islam all three being the same.

there can be flaws to a pure spirit, the purity is what is necessary.

Genesis 21:6 Sarah said, “God has made laughter for me; everyone who hears will laugh with me.”

Apparently Sarah did not get your memo.

Too bad for her.

Ok, off to hell then.
I said "Jesus"

Jesus never laughed concerning anything he said especially about Salvation. God laughed because Sarah spoke doubt as if she knew it all. God laughed at her ignorance.

Stop trying to dumb down God and dumb down Jesus with your secular demonic and ruthless comedy full of Satan's profanity.

• God’s thoughts are not the same as your thoughts. In fact, the Bible teaches that the thoughts of man are far different than the thoughts of God. Our thoughts are influenced by emotions and even circumstances that we often don’t control. Furthermore, our thoughts can lead us astray and down a path of sin and disobedience apart from God.
Isaiah 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

Jesus likely did. It's not very visible in scripture unless you "read in between the lines" but there is scripture that points to Jesus having many "joyous moments".

Matthew 11:

18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they said, ‘He is possessed.’ 19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look at him! He is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ Yet wisdom is proved right by her actions.

Basically states that Jesus ate and drank with common people (likely having joyous moments in the process) and yet was still able to complete his ministry by his actions.

Then in Mark 6:

35 Jesus Feeds Five Thousand Men.[i] When it began to be late in the day, his disciples came up to him and said, “This is a deserted place, and it is getting very late. 36 Send the people away now so that they can go to the farms and villages in the area and buy something for themselves to eat.” 37 He replied, “Give them something to eat yourselves.” They said to him, “Are we to go and spend two hundred denarii[j] on bread for them to eat?” 38 He asked, “How many loaves do you have? Go and see.” When they found out, they reported: “Five loaves, and two fish.”

39 Then he ordered them to have all the people sit down on the green grass in groups. 40 They sat down in groups of hundreds and fifties. 41 Taking the five loaves and the two fish, he looked up to heaven, blessed and broke the loaves, and gave them to the disciples to distribute among the people. He also divided the two fish among them. 42 They all ate and were satisfied. 43 Then they gathered up the fragments of the bread and fish—twelve full baskets.[k] 44 Those who had eaten the loaves numbered five thousand men.

45 Jesus Walks on the Water.[l] Immediately afterward, Jesus instructed his disciples to get into the boat and to go on ahead to Bethsaida on the other side of the lake while he dismissed the crowd. 46 And when he had taken leave of them, he went up on the mountain to pray.

47 When evening came, the boat was far out on the water while he was alone on the shore. 48 He could see that the disciples were having difficulty in rowing the boat in the face of a headwind. Around the fourth watch of the night he came toward them, walking on the water. He was going to pass by them, 49 but when the disciples saw him walking on the water they thought it was a ghost and they cried out, 50 for they all had seen him and were terrified. But immediately he spoke to them, saying, “Have courage! It is I! Do not be afraid!” 51 Then he got into the boat with them, and the wind died down. They were utterly astounded, 52 for they had not understood about the loaves. Their minds were closed.

- Jesus teaches his Apostles about having faith and about taking care of their people. The Apostles wanted to send the crowd off to mend for themselves but Jesus instructed for them to feed them. (Leadership, taking care of their people)

They objected because it "would cost too much" but Jesus immediately instructed them to go see how much bread they had. (Faith).

Despite the miracle Jesus had just performed, the Apostles hearts were still hardened because they did not understand (or had little faith). To further teach them about faith, Jesus was going to walk across the lake and beat them to the other side, in the middle of the storm that was giving the Apostles tons of trouble. (Hence why the passage says Jesus was going to pass them).

But since the Apostles had little faith, their hearts were hardened, they started to "freak out, scream" as if they saw a Ghost. This is when Jesus (likely laughing to himself) says, "Don't be afraid, it's me" Basically laughing at them for having little faith and the fact that they were scared beyond measure at seeing him. Scripture won't show him laughing here - but it's apparent that Jesus likely had a pretty big smile on his face, imo.

Last edited:
Jesus likely did. It's not very visible in scripture unless you "read in between the lines" but there is scripture that points to Jesus having many "joyous moments".

Matthew 11:

18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they said, ‘He is possessed.’ 19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look at him! He is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ Yet wisdom is proved right by her actions.

Basically states that Jesus ate and drank with common people (likely having joyous moments in the process) and yet was still able to complete his ministry by his actions.

Then in Mark 6:

35 Jesus Feeds Five Thousand Men.[i] When it began to be late in the day, his disciples came up to him and said, “This is a deserted place, and it is getting very late. 36 Send the people away now so that they can go to the farms and villages in the area and buy something for themselves to eat.” 37 He replied, “Give them something to eat yourselves.” They said to him, “Are we to go and spend two hundred denarii[j] on bread for them to eat?” 38 He asked, “How many loaves do you have? Go and see.” When they found out, they reported: “Five loaves, and two fish.”

39 Then he ordered them to have all the people sit down on the green grass in groups. 40 They sat down in groups of hundreds and fifties. 41 Taking the five loaves and the two fish, he looked up to heaven, blessed and broke the loaves, and gave them to the disciples to distribute among the people. He also divided the two fish among them. 42 They all ate and were satisfied. 43 Then they gathered up the fragments of the bread and fish—twelve full baskets.[k] 44 Those who had eaten the loaves numbered five thousand men.

45 Jesus Walks on the Water.[l] Immediately afterward, Jesus instructed his disciples to get into the boat and to go on ahead to Bethsaida on the other side of the lake while he dismissed the crowd. 46 And when he had taken leave of them, he went up on the mountain to pray.

47 When evening came, the boat was far out on the water while he was alone on the shore. 48 He could see that the disciples were having difficulty in rowing the boat in the face of a headwind. Around the fourth watch of the night he came toward them, walking on the water. He was going to pass by them, 49 but when the disciples saw him walking on the water they thought it was a ghost and they cried out, 50 for they all had seen him and were terrified. But immediately he spoke to them, saying, “Have courage! It is I! Do not be afraid!” 51 Then he got into the boat with them, and the wind died down. They were utterly astounded, 52 for they had not understood about the loaves. Their minds were closed.

- Jesus teaches his Apostles about having faith and about taking care of their people. The Apostles wanted to send the crowd off to mend for themselves but Jesus instructed for them to feed them. (Leadership, taking care of their people)

They objected because it "would cost too much" but Jesus immediately instructed them to go see how much bread they had. (Faith).

Despite the miracle Jesus had just performed, the Apostles hearts were still hardened because they did not understand (or had little faith). To further teach them about faith, Jesus was going to walk across the lake and beat them to the other side, in the middle of the storm that was giving the Apostles tons of trouble. (Hence why the passage says Jesus was going to pass them).

But since the Apostles had little faith, their hearts were hardened, they started to "freak out, scream" as if they saw a Ghost. This is when Jesus (likely laughing to himself) says, "Don't be afraid, it's me" Basically laughing at them for having little faith and the fact that they were scared beyond measure at seeing him. Scripture won't show him laughing here - but it's apparent that Jesus likely had a pretty big smile on his face, imo.
There is never a reason to just make things up such Jesus ate joyfully. That is not mentioned any where in scriptures.

There were other people Jesus ate with, but it was just a meal. It was not a secular "LOL" event. Jesus was always serious.

Forum List

Back