Religion and dopamine addiction...

pacer

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2013
Found this little insightful gem you may find interesting.

Religion and Dopamine Addiction: The Triple Whammy

The endless conflicts among religious dopamine addicts offer invaluable insights into how three shared addictions keep like-mindless groups hating one another. We’re talking about why the term “religious fanatic” is a euphemism for peer-approval, safety, and esteem addict.

Peer-approval addicts:

The addiction to peer approval keeps dopamine addicts flocking to religions that offer instant approval to anyone who is willing to do little more than believe in the incredible, which is based on nothing more than faith. Peer-approval addicts never figure this out because the need for approval precludes independent thinking, questioning, or behaving in any way that invites rejection.

Safety addicts:

By convincing one another that their “one true God” is on their side, safety addicts help feed each other’s dopamine addiction.

Esteen addicts:

Esteem addictions are fed by the delusion that being smart enough to choose and worship the right “one true God” confers a sense of esteem-elevating superiority.

This trifecta of addictions is volatile.

Peer-approval addicts who can’t risk rejection have to do as they’re told.

Safety addicts who can’t admit they are threatened by everyone who doesn’t share their fears are easy to manipulate.

Esteem addicts who are never satisfied with flaunting their delusional superiority are compelled to prove that they know better than everyone else.

Like all addicts, religious addicts are constantly trying to convert others to their one true addiction. To complicate matters, esteem addicts can only be right if others are wrong until the need to feed addictions leaves no room for compromise. “With us or against us” becomes a battle cry until the addictions turn so all-consuming that religious fanatics who worship the same loving God keep looking for reasons, rationalizations, and excuses to kill one another.

Be Sociable, Share!

Religion and Dopamine Addiction: The Triple Whammy | TheDopamineProject.org

Last edited:
except there is no such thing as dopamine addiction :D

we produce dopamie 24/7 and every second.

without it we would be dead.

not because it is a mediator in the brain - check what other much more important functions dopamine is responsible for in the human body.

the statement about addiction is as idiotic as if somebody would label insulin "addiction" or epinephrine "addiction".

Last edited:
Found this little insightful gem you may find interesting.

Religion and Dopamine Addiction: The Triple Whammy

The endless conflicts among religious dopamine addicts offer invaluable insights into how three shared addictions keep like-mindless groups hating one another. We’re talking about why the term “religious fanatic” is a euphemism for peer-approval, safety, and esteem addict.

Peer-approval addicts:

The addiction to peer approval keeps dopamine addicts flocking to religions that offer instant approval to anyone who is willing to do little more than believe in the incredible, which is based on nothing more than faith. Peer-approval addicts never figure this out because the need for approval precludes independent thinking, questioning, or behaving in any way that invites rejection.

Safety addicts:

By convincing one another that their “one true God” is on their side, safety addicts help feed each other’s dopamine addiction.

Esteen addicts:

Esteem addictions are fed by the delusion that being smart enough to choose and worship the right “one true God” confers a sense of esteem-elevating superiority.

This trifecta of addictions is volatile.

Peer-approval addicts who can’t risk rejection have to do as they’re told.

Safety addicts who can’t admit they are threatened by everyone who doesn’t share their fears are easy to manipulate.

Esteem addicts who are never satisfied with flaunting their delusional superiority are compelled to prove that they know better than everyone else.

Like all addicts, religious addicts are constantly trying to convert others to their one true addiction. To complicate matters, esteem addicts can only be right if others are wrong until the need to feed addictions leaves no room for compromise. “With us or against us” becomes a battle cry until the addictions turn so all-consuming that religious fanatics who worship the same loving God keep looking for reasons, rationalizations, and excuses to kill one another.

Be Sociable, Share!

Religion and Dopamine Addiction: The Triple Whammy | TheDopamineProject.org

Dopamine is currently being studied as a possible major causative factor in multiple psychiatric disorders. While initial research is promising in developing potential therapeutic modalities we still have a long way to go.
Some, quite likely to include the Dopamine Project Organization have literally "jumped the gun" and should be taken with at least a small degree of skepticism.
There are currently multiple postulations and theories concerning differing causative mechanisms still being studied.

dopamine has been known to be connected to schizophrenia at least for the last 20-25 years.

it amazes me when some journalist "discovers" information which he/she can nt process as he/she lacks the basic knowledge of anatomy and physiology yet proceed to sensationalize something which is not a sensation and has been known for a long time already/

dopamine has been known to be connected to schizophrenia at least for the last 20-25 years.

it amazes me when some journalist "discovers" information which he/she can nt process as he/she lacks the basic knowledge of anatomy and physiology yet proceed to sensationalize something which is not a sensation and has been known for a long time already/

Yup, we are quite familiar with the dopamine, schizophrenia connection. Which is why some are looking into the possible link in other psychiatric disorders, so far with very limited success.
It may be a major factor in ADHD, results there do look promising. As for it's effect concerning dependency behaviors......? Not so good.

I read the whole thing with a bit of skepticism.

I get kicked out of all the Christian message boards because I wont approve of everything they are doing or saying. Been kicked out of them as long as I can remember.

It isn't about getting approval. Pastors have referred to me as that lawyer and I am not a lawyer.

I don't get anything for my trouble, Pacer. I have book bills. I have people hating me for how much time I spent writing. I have people saying they can't get along with me because I am a Christian. I have my family persecuting me and various people dissing me for my beliefs. I am more running scared from various people than having some brain addiction. I don't get anything out of it.

I have had to take a stand on several things and lose friends in the process. I think you would have to walk in my shoes for a while before you can just judge me. When you get poisoned or set up for your beliefs, let me know.

Yup, we are quite familiar with the dopamine, schizophrenia connection. Which is why some are looking into the possible link in other psychiatric disorders, so far with very limited success.
It may be a major factor in ADHD, results there do look promising. As for it's effect concerning dependency behaviors......? Not so good.

there are many mediators in the brain and there are known connections between some other psychiatric diseases and specific mediators.

However, addiction as a disease seems to me more like a deficiency in some enzyme or enzyme receptor( and not one size fits all) in analogy with the alcoholism - alcoholics, those which are becoming dependent and exhibit withdrawal syndrome are usually the people which lack alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme ( you can be a heavy drinker and never develop alcoholism per se) and there are the whole ethnic groups which lack the enzyme ( Eskimo, American Indians and a lot of Asian ethnic groups) and that is why alcohol consumption for them is basically a sentence.

But I do not think the addiction has anything to do with brain mediators at all.

that site seems addicted to dopamine :lol:

I have read some of the stuff they are posting - well, modern fairy tales have a specific slant as well :D

I read the whole thing with a bit of skepticism.

I get kicked out of all the Christian message boards because I wont approve of everything they are doing or saying. Been kicked out of them as long as I can remember.

It isn't about getting approval. Pastors have referred to me as that lawyer and I am not a lawyer.

I don't get anything for my trouble, Pacer. I have book bills. I have people hating me for how much time I spent writing. I have people saying they can't get along with me because I am a Christian. I have my family persecuting me and various people dissing me for my beliefs. I am more running scared from various people than having some brain addiction. I don't get anything out of it.

I have had to take a stand on several things and lose friends in the process. I think you would have to walk in my shoes for a while before you can just judge me. When you get poisoned or set up for your beliefs, let me know.

:eek::eek::eek:

did anybody accuse you of anything, Chuck?

the article is BS. the whole site is BS. Let not your heart be troubled.

Last edited:

there are many mediators in the brain and there are known connections between some other psychiatric diseases and specific mediators.

However, addiction as a disease seems to me more like a deficiency in some enzyme or enzyme receptor( and not one size fits all) in analogy with the alcoholism - alcoholics, those which are becoming dependent and exhibit withdrawal syndrome are usually the people which lack alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme ( you can be a heavy drinker and never develop alcoholism per se) and there are the whole ethnic groups which lack the enzyme ( Eskimo, American Indians and a lot of Asian ethnic groups) and that is why alcohol consumption for them is basically a sentence.

But I do not think the addiction has anything to do with brain mediators at all.

that site seems addicted to dopamine :lol:

I have read some of the stuff they are posting - well, modern fairy tales have a specific slant as well :D

That's why I added all the caveats. :D

I think pacer's trying, in his lame way, to equate religion with schizophrenia.

They've been pushing this particular bit of nonsense harder lately. You'll see a screwball come forward every few days trying to make the claim that religiosity is a mental illness, that people who take their kids to church should have their children removed because it's child abuse, etc.

It's all part and parcel of criminalizing Christianity, shutting down the churches, and marginalizing (and locking up) Christians.

Christians prevent progressives from embarking on new holocausts...which is why progressives are going to try hard to get them removed. In any way possible.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vox
I think pacer's trying, in his lame way, to equate religion with schizophrenia.

No, I don't think so. Otherwise he won't thank me and Ringel05 for our posts which basically say that the theory presented is BS. which it is.

It is not easy do differentiate the information from the media and blogosphere.

I thought he thanked you because he thought you were agreeing with him.

If he disagreed with it, wouldn't he have said so?

Last edited:
No, he's an idiot. He thanked you because he thought you were agreeing with him.

he thanked me forr THIS post... and that was my immediate responce to his OP .

It is as clear as it could be that I consider the theory BS.
He agreed.
except there is no such thing as dopamine addiction :D

we produce dopamie 24/7 and every second.

without it we would be dead.

not because it is a mediator in the brain - check what other much more important functions dopamine is responsible for in the human body.

the statement about addiction is as idiotic as if somebody would label insulin "addiction" or epinephrine "addiction".

Naw, I think he agrees with the OP.

I think he thanked you because he's confused.

Maybe he just wanted our opinions on it and was not decided yet.

as I said - there are tons of fairy tales in the media and on the web - you have to be specifically educated in some areas to be able to announce the king naked.

People who ask opinions should also provide them.

He needs to come back!

Happy Valentine's Day to you..

I'm fixing to go out and have an amazing meal!

Forum List

Back