Rich donors have blown $200 million on failed candidates so far

None of this is to say that it always works out for plutocratic politicians. We'll recall how Newt and Sheldon Adelson destroyed Romney in 2012.

Refresh my memory ... I don't recall Sheldon hurting Romney's campaign.

among many others

Who here is retarded enough to believe Trump is going to spend a billion dollars of his own money to get elected?

I bet he doesn't spend a dime of his own money. Later, when no one will notice, he is going to reimburse himself from campaign donations.

I don't know...I am just so happy he stirred the nasty pot that is brewing in Washington. They think that we are not paying attention. The internet has been a great tool to spread around what is really going on.. We only had the media before the internet.

Finally found some of the Newt superpac ads. This was the one that I was thinking of:

Might have cost him the presidency

A fool and his money are soon parted.

And free speech isn't going to end no matter how much trump tries

laughter.gif

If you’ve got money to burn, get into politics—as a donor giving millions to the big-money groups known as super PACs.

But a fat bank account doesn’t automatically buy victory, a lesson being hammered into wealthy donors this year.

514871906_1591436.gif

It takes a billion dollars to get elected. That means Republicans wasted two billion dollars in 2008 and 2012.

"]
laughter.gif

2008 was actually quite different. Obama out-raised and outspent McCain by a factor of 2-1.

Ironically, it was also the McCain-Feingold Act that Citizens United v. FEC overturned.

Rich donors have transformed politics since the 2010 Citizens United Supreme Court decision cleared the way for unlimited spending on behalf of favored candidates.

First you say money doesn't buy you a victory, then you say Citizens United has allowed rich donors to transform politics. Which is it?

There's money on both sides. Almost everyone is bought to a degree.

That I agree with, but overturning Citizens United won't dilute the power of lobbyists.

No it won't. But the power of lobbyists is not as insinuating as the threat of unlimited cash expenditures to defeat anyone who does not do the bidding of this or that interest.

Jeb Bush spent $44 million in New Hampshire and came in 5th place. Trump spent $2 million and won

D. Trump's an asshole but not stupid. D. Trump has it figured out - if you tell outrageous lies, threaten violence against/incite his mob to assault people who are exercising their constitutional right to free speech etc. Removal by designated guards and police is one thing, assaulting someone because you don't like what they have to say is unconstitutional but-----but by being a complete asshat D. Trump gets...

...Donald Trump Has Received Nearly $2 Billion In Free Media Attention
Michael Calderone
03/15/2016

Donald Trump received nearly $2 billion in free media exposure this past year, dwarfing his Republican rivals and more than doubling the attention paid to Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton, according to tracking firm mediaQuant.

Trump received $1.9 billion in free, or "earned," media coverage, yet spent just $10 million on paid advertisements this election cycle. While Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and Ohio Gov. John Kasich each spent more money than Trump on ads, the Republican candidates clocked in at $313 million, $204 million and $38 million in free media respectively.

<snip>

Forum List

Back