🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Ron Johnson Is Blocking His Own Judicial Nominee...having recommended William Pocan to Joe Biden, he now may tank his nomination for no real reason

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
Johnson indicated he wouldn’t turn in his so-called blue slip — literally, a blue piece of paper signaling support from a nominee’s home-state senators — for Pocan, which effectively kills his nomination. The Judiciary Committee got rid of the blue slip rule for appeals court nominees, but it still honors it for district court nominees like Pocan.

Confusing situation here. Makes me wonder why Brandon is asking a Republican for recommendations for the court in the first place.

What's wrong with Biden nominating Democrat Judge Schroeder for the Wisconsin position?

Schroeder did a tremendous job on the Rittenhouse trial

Johnson indicated he wouldn’t turn in his so-called blue slip — literally, a blue piece of paper signaling support from a nominee’s home-state senators — for Pocan, which effectively kills his nomination. The Judiciary Committee got rid of the blue slip rule for appeals court nominees, but it still honors it for district court nominees like Pocan.

For a Republican Senator to make a recommendation to a Democrat President, have it accepted, hearings schedule and the pull his support right before the hearings on the person, sound like partisan party obstructionism for the purpose of obstruction, a simple stupid old fashion political tool. Could Johnson really be so stupid he would not check a judge from his state before recommending? Is anybody that stupid? Would anybody be surprised a republican might do something like that just for political obstructionism. I don't know these people, but it sounds fishy to me, like rotting fish.

um i the article the senator clearly states his reasons

um i the article the senator clearly states his reasons
So, you are going with simply stupid and irresponsible in his recommendations on important matters until they are being implemented? Maybe it was the fumes from working as a machine operator in his wife's plastics factory. Not exactly a decisive self-made man, but he apparently married well.

I know this will sound like a stupid question to libs, but why did johnson change is mind?

I know this will sound like a stupid question to libs, but why did johnson change is mind?
I wondered the same thing. I suspect he was told to.

Johnson said its because the judge is soft on crime
I read that also. If you are a US Senator, would you not check out somebody before you nominate to an elevated lifetime position. I wouldn't. I wouldn't even promote or recommend somebody for promotion in the private section business world without knowing their history and we are talking about nominating a Federal Judge.
I suspect the far right will not tolerate bipartisanship, with the Biden administration period, even for a position in the Senator's home state.
Of course, I could be wrong. Senator Johnson could be a dumb ass empty suit. Those appear to be the choices. I don't know the man.

I read that also. If you are a US Senator, would you not check out somebody before you nominate to an elevated lifetime position. I wouldn't. I wouldn't even promote or recommend somebody for promotion in the private section business world without knowing their history and we are talking about nominating a Federal Judge.
I suspect the far right will not tolerate bipartisanship, with the Biden administration period, even for a position in the Senator's home state.
Of course, I could be wrong. Senator Johnson could be a dumb ass empty suit. Those appear to be the choices. I don't know the man.
Republicans are notoriously sloppy with their judicial nominations

maybe they assigned an intern to check the judge out and johnson had no idea who he was nominating

Would anybody be surprised a republican might do something like that just for political obstructionism.
That's exactly what repubs should be doing until the election.
Then the dems can do it from their minority position. Gridlock, glorious gridlock!
Considering the central authority does more bad than good lately, doing nothing is the best course of action.

Republicans are notoriously sloppy with their judicial nominations

maybe they assigned an intern to check the judge out and johnson had no idea who he was nominating
That certainly fits your "notoriously sloppy" scenario. It just seems like terminal stupidity, though.
If you make a public recommendation to a corporate CEO or a Senior Military commander that you have to walk back a weak later after plans and actions are taking place to put your recommendation in action, because you didn't take the time to know what you were talking about before you gave you "expert" advice, you're probably toast for a while, and won't be trusted even longer.

That certainly fits your "notoriously sloppy" scenario. It just seems like terminal stupidity, though.
If you make a public recommendation to a corporate CEO or a Senior Military commander that you have to walk back a weak later after plans and actions are taking place to put your recommendation in action, because you didn't take the time to know what you were talking about before you gave you "expert" advice, you're probably toast for a while, and won't be trusted even longer.
You are free to expand on “notoriously sloppy” but I have nothing to add

You are free to expand on “notoriously sloppy” but I have nothing to add
I have nothing to add, but you are probably a more charitable, less judgmental person than I am and maybe a better way to be. I will say, I would have the same opinion and judgement if it were a Democrat Senator's recommendation to a Republican president. I just think the two sides are too eat up with their political gamesmanship instead of setting good public policy and should go back to doing their damned jobs.

I have nothing to add, but you are probably a more charitable, less judgmental person than I am and maybe a better way to be. I will say, I would have the same opinion and judgement if it were a Democrat Senator's recommendation to a Republican president. I just think the two sides are too eat up with their political gamesmanship instead of setting good public policy and should go back to doing their damned jobs.
I’m not interested in what motivates dem senators

in my opinion the repub senators are a slightly lesser threat to my freedom

But only slightly

I learned long ago when it comes to washington dc we cant throw rocks at the dems without hitting few Repubs also

so i am constantly disappointed by my own party

I’m not interested in what motivates dem senators

in my opinion the repub senators are a slightly lesser threat to my freedom

But only slightly

I learned long ago when it comes to washington dc we cant throw rocks at the dems without hitting few Repubs also

so i am constantly disappointed by my own party
The only time Senators and Representatives are not a threat to society, is when they are not in session. I think that is from Mark Twain, so it's pretty much been known for a long time.

Forum List

Back