Sales Taxes

Stock Transactions are investments, not purchases.
Then stop buying and selling them.

Next.

If people stop investing in business, who will provide the money for manufacturing, farming, commerce, mining? Big government? Is a bureaucrat or politician better at determining what a good idea to risk money at than investors in the market.

The idea of punishing people for doing the right thing and saving for their retirement doesn't seem to be very wise. How do you think having millions more impoverished seniors living in the homes of their younger relatives going to work out?
Invest in business.

When you buy and sell stocks repeatedly you aren't investing in business, you buying and selling stocks. Pay sales tax.
It is pure speculation
Pay a fee on each transaction

I suppose that the millenials will have no problem supporting the old timers and having them in their homes when they are destitute?

To me, its best for people to save for their own retirement, instead of ending up as an indigent geezer.

I guess that's what libs want, however.
Kind of being hyperbolic aren’t you?
No, a small fee on transactions will not put old people in the poor house
It will keep the wealthy from protecting their riches

1% isn't a "small fee" at all. Its actually quite high will billions of shares of stock being traded on every business day.

Most pension funds trade stocks back and forth all the time, as checks are written, the formula gets out of balance and contributions are received. Stock purchases aren't a "one time " expense.
Exactly
Think of the revenue that would be generated

It will become the cost of doing business

The revenue wouldn't be nearly as much as you think. The number of people saving for retirement in stocks would decline precipitously.

People would look for other ways to invest, like lottery tickets, greyhound racing and beanie babies.

Next.

If people stop investing in business, who will provide the money for manufacturing, farming, commerce, mining? Big government? Is a bureaucrat or politician better at determining what a good idea to risk money at than investors in the market.

The idea of punishing people for doing the right thing and saving for their retirement doesn't seem to be very wise. How do you think having millions more impoverished seniors living in the homes of their younger relatives going to work out?
Invest in business.

When you buy and sell stocks repeatedly you aren't investing in business, you buying and selling stocks. Pay sales tax.
It is pure speculation

I suppose that the millenials will have no problem supporting the old timers and having them in their homes when they are destitute?

To me, its best for people to save for their own retirement, instead of ending up as an indigent geezer.

1% isn't a "small fee" at all. Its actually quite high will billions of shares of stock being traded on every business day.

Most pension funds trade stocks back and forth all the time, as checks are written, the formula gets out of balance and contributions are received. Stock purchases aren't a "one time " expense.
Exactly

The revenue wouldn't be nearly as much as you think. The number of people saving for retirement in stocks would decline precipitously.

People would look for other ways to invest, like lottery tickets, greyhound racing and beanie babies.
IRA’s and 401ks are tax free. Retirees will continue to invest.

The money generated from the wealthy will help pay for healthcare, education, infrastructure

A net win

Sales Taxes:
individuals' annual purchases rather than their paid income taxes, are more accurate indications of their comparative proportional incomes and wealth.
Sales taxes are only regressive in comparison to income taxes, when levied upon those who do not otherwise pay income taxes, (i.e. upon those of much less or no taxable incomes).
[Depending upon the product purchased and the drafting of the law, sales taxes can to some extent be drafted to effectively be greater or lesser regressive].

At some point increases of tax revenues less justify the economic consequences of the increases; those points differ for different tax schemes and their purposes. It's my opinion those points are of comparatively lesser rates for sales taxes rather than taxes on incomes or upon almost any other matters. I also believe it's desirable for all while in the USA, and all USA citizens to the extent we're able, should be equitably required to contribute to our tax revenues.

Respectfully, Supposn

If we gonna Supposn, how about just a low flat income tax for everyone?

VAT/Sales taxes hide excessive taxation along the supply chain, and are highly gamed with politics and lobbying. i.e., food packaged one way is exempt from VAT, another way isn't.

Take the Lobbyists and political favor trading out of taxes with one rate, no deductions, nada nothing applied fairly to everyone.

Next.

Invest in business.

It is pure speculation

Exactly

I am thinking about the revenue it would generate. Do you really think its that smart to make Big Government even wealthier and more powerful than they are right now?

Next.

Invest in business.

It is pure speculation

Exactly

I am thinking about the revenue it would generate. Do you really think its that smart to make Big Government even wealthier and more powerful than they are right now?

Agreed.

Name one thing government does well?

Last edited:

Next.

Invest in business.

It is pure speculation

Exactly

So you want people to pay more for the stock purchases in their retirement accounts

How does that help the little guy?

I‘m thinking of Government providing services like we used to before we sold out to Supply Side Economics

Modern infrastructure, low cost healthcare, affordable higher education

Next.

Invest in business.

It is pure speculation

Exactly

So you want people to pay more for the stock purchases in their retirement accounts

Stop your sob story ...What about the old people?
The overwhelming bulk of stock transactions are in the super wealthy The elderly amount to a pittance

They will benefit much more from public services

I‘m thinking of Government providing services like we used to before we sold out to Supply Side Economics

Modern infrastructure, low cost healthcare, affordable higher education
When has the government ever provided low cost health care?

Low QUALITY I get but low cost?

We don't need the government involved in health care what we need is to open up health care to market forces.

Require that all medical facilities post the actual costs for every procedure and medication they sell.

Give people an actual choice as to where they get their medical services.

Next.

Invest in business.

It is pure speculation

Exactly

The overwhelming bulk of stock transactions are in the super wealthy The elderly amount to a pittance

FYI The super wealthy tend to buy and hold they don't day trade

Working people spend a larger percentage of their income than the wealthy. They have to.
And the wealthy spend far more actual money than the poor, which equates to a far bigger portion of actual tax revenue under a consumption tax.

Yeah it's called the Fair Tax.

Look it up
Blues Man, although individuals' annual purchases rather than their paid income taxes are more accurate indications of their incomes or wealth, it would be imprudent to attempt entirely transforming our major tax revenue source within a single year.
Increasing the sales tax while reducing income taxes should be done simultaneously by incremental annual steps. After reaching the last of those steps, the income tax would be effectively eliminated.
But I believe that after one of those incremental steps, the sales tax would approach an unacceptable rate and transformation steps would be discontinued.

[At some point increases of tax revenues less justify the economic consequences of the increases; those points differ for different tax schemes and their purposes. It's my opinion those points are of comparatively lesser rates for sales taxes rather than taxes on incomes or upon almost any other matters.] Respectfully, Supposn

Next.

Invest in business.

It is pure speculation

Exactly

Actually, the overwhelming bulk of stock transactions are done by major institutions, not the "super wealthy" at all. Pension funds, mutual funds, investment firms, banks, colleges and universities, etc.

As far as the elderly, most elderly today are NOT wards of the state living in old folks towers being warehoused until their deaths.

Most live in their own homes, drive around to bocce matches and bingo games, vacationing, visiting relatives, etc.

And that's due largely to their investments- often in stocks. No one can live a decent life merely on the pittance that Social Security pays.

A consumption tax is a fine motivation to increase one's earnings, too.
Not to mention a consumption tax encourages saving. Disagree if you'd like, but people who save money are far better off in the long run than those who don't. Better prepared for job loss, better prepared for life's unexpected costs, better prepared for retirement, and far less stressed on a daily basis, which equates to better health outcomes.

Yeah it's called the Fair Tax.

Look it up
Blues Man, although individuals' annual purchases rather than their paid income taxes are more accurate indications of their incomes or wealth, it would be imprudent to attempt entirely transforming our major tax revenue source within a single year.
Increasing the sales tax while reducing income taxes should be done simultaneously by incremental annual steps. After reaching the last of those steps, the income tax would be effectively eliminated.
But I believe that after one of those incremental steps, the sales tax would approach an unacceptable rate and transformation steps would be discontinued.

[At some point increases of tax revenues less justify the economic consequences of the increases; those points differ for different tax schemes and their purposes. It's my opinion those points are of comparatively lesser rates for sales taxes rather than taxes on incomes or upon almost any other matters.] Respectfully, Supposn
Where did I ever say it had to be done in a single year?

I have a couple issues with the Fair Tax plan but I think it is the better revenue generator.

My main issue is that monthly payment to every household. I think it's inefficient and expensive. IMO if all necessities such as food, clothing, medicine and utilities were exempted then there would be no need for a monthly check. Since people in the lower income strata spend a higher percentage of their income on necessities they would avoid paying the sales tax on most things.

A consumption tax is a fine motivation to increase one's earnings, too.
Not to mention a consumption tax encourages saving. Disagree if you'd like, but people who save money are far better off in the long run than those who don't. Better prepared for job loss, better prepared for life's unexpected costs, better prepared for retirement, and far less stressed on a daily basis, which equates to better health outcomes.
The great thing about the Fair Tax is that only new goods are taxed.

Used goods aren't.

Forum List

Back