Scottish Cup 1909: No winner as Celtic v Rangers ends in bonfire & riots

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Mob rule. A bonfire on the pitch. A two-hour riot, and the trophy withheld. Even by Old Firm standards, the 1909 Scottish Cup final was bedlam.

The sides couldn't be separated in 90 minutes and remained deadlocked following a replay, after which all hell broke loose at Hampden Park.

It was an unprecedented act of hooliganism in Scottish football that left scores of people injured.

Here, Richard McBrearty, the curator of the Scottish Football Museum at Hampden, recounts one of the most unsavoury episodes in the game's history.

That's a nice bit of history.

Mob rule. A bonfire on the pitch. A two-hour riot, and the trophy withheld. Even by Old Firm standards, the 1909 Scottish Cup final was bedlam.

The sides couldn't be separated in 90 minutes and remained deadlocked following a replay, after which all hell broke loose at Hampden Park.

It was an unprecedented act of hooliganism in Scottish football that left scores of people injured.

Here, Richard McBrearty, the curator of the Scottish Football Museum at Hampden, recounts one of the most unsavoury episodes in the game's history.

That's a nice bit of history.
Those two clubs have left a sectarian stain on Scottish football for years and there is now a body count. Every time they play each other police leave is cancelled and there are violent incidents across Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Celtic represent the catholics and Rangers are the protestant club. As a methodist I should probably be more sympathetic to Rangers but in truth both sets of fans are *****.

I went to a game about 30 years ago and the city was like a militarised zone.

Rangers had the best song.

"could youse go a chicken dinner
Bobby Sands"

Sung to She'll be coming round the mountain when she comes".

It enraged the Celtic fans and made me chuckle.

Forum List

Back