"seed!" Literal Or Figurative? (gen. 3:15)

Is the word "seed" as read in Genesis 3:15 to be taken literally or figuratively?

• The word "seed" is clearly to be taken literally. It means "offspring" or "posterity."

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • The word "seed" is clearly a figurative term that doesn't refer to flesh & blood offspring.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please expain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DriftingSand

Cast Iron Member
Feb 16, 2014
State of Disgust!
I came across a very interesting verse in the first book of the Bible. Please read Genesis 3:15 as a point of reference. In that verse is the mention of the word "seed." Interestingly, it appears that two, different "seeds" are being referenced. One relating to "the serpent" and the other relating to Eve and her "seed." We know that Eve had children but in my personal copy of the Authorized King James Version the word referring to Eve's seed is capitalized which would indicate that her "Seed" is referencing Christ. But that's speculative on my part.

The Srong's Concordance defines the word "seed" (Hebrew zera') #H2233:
  • "seed, sowing, offspring
    a sowing
    seed
    semen virile
  • offspring, descendants, posterity, children
  • of moral quality
  • a practitioner of righteousness (fig.)
  • sowing time (by meton)"

Genesis 3:15, "and I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her Seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel."

So what do you glean from this verse? Is it significant and does it still ring true in the modern day? What does "seed" mean to you?

I came across a very interesting verse in the first book of the Bible. Please read Genesis 3:15 as a point of reference. In that verse is the mention of the word "seed." Interestingly, it appears that two, different "seeds" are being referenced. One relating to "the serpent" and the other relating to Eve and her "seed." We know that Eve had children but in my personal copy of the Authorized King James Version the word referring to Eve's seed is capitalized which would indicate that her "Seed" is referencing Christ. But that's speculative on my part.

a sowing
    seed
    semen virile
  • of moral quality
Genesis 3:15, "and I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her Seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel."

So what do you glean from this verse? Is it significant and does it still ring true in the modern day? What does "seed" mean to you?

This is the interpretation I get . The head touching the heel.

Screenshots_2014-10-08-17-14-51.png

Last edited:

a sowing
    seed
    semen virile
  • of moral quality

Never occured to you to look at an actual Torah did it.

15. And I shall place hatred between you and between the woman, and between your seed and between her seed. He will crush your head, and you will bite his heel."

And I shall place hatred: You intended that the man should die when he would eat first, and you would marry Eve, and you came to Eve first only because women are easily enticed, and they know how to entice their husbands. Therefore, “I shall place hatred.”

He will crush your head: יְשׁוּפְךָ רֹאשׁ, lit. he will crush you the head. He will crush you, like (Deut. 9:21): “And I crushed it,” which is translated by the Targum as

and you will bite his heel: Heb. תְּשׁוּפֶנוּ. You will not stand upright and you will bite him on the heel, and even from there you will kill him. The expression תְּשׁוּפֶנוּ is like (Isa. 40:24): “He blew (נָשַׁף) on them.” When a snake comes to bite, it blows with a sort of hiss, and since the two expressions coincide [i.e., they sound alike], Scripture used the expression of נְשִׁיפָה in both cases.

-Bereishit 3

The seeds refers to offspring of the serpent and humans. Their descendents. It's a Jewish text, why would it refer to Christ? That came about a thousand years later. Talk about reaching.

a sowing
    seed
    semen virile
  • of moral quality

15. And I shall place hatred between you and between the woman, and between your seed and between her seed. He will crush your head, and you will bite his heel."

And I shall place hatred: You intended that the man should die when he would eat first, and you would marry Eve, and you came to Eve first only because women are easily enticed, and they know how to entice their husbands. Therefore, “I shall place hatred.”

He will crush your head: יְשׁוּפְךָ רֹאשׁ, lit. he will crush you the head. He will crush you, like (Deut. 9:21): “And I crushed it,” which is translated by the Targum as

and you will bite his heel: Heb. תְּשׁוּפֶנוּ. You will not stand upright and you will bite him on the heel, and even from there you will kill him. The expression תְּשׁוּפֶנוּ is like (Isa. 40:24): “He blew (נָשַׁף) on them.” When a snake comes to bite, it blows with a sort of hiss, and since the two expressions coincide [i.e., they sound alike], Scripture used the expression of נְשִׁיפָה in both cases.

-Bereishit 3

The seeds refers to offspring of the serpent and humans. Their descendents. It's a Jewish text, why would it refer to Christ? That came about a thousand years later. Talk about reaching.

1) If you believe the word "seed" is literal you fail to explain who the serpent's :"seed" is.
2) God found favor through various of Eve's descendant "seeds." Seth, Enoch, Heber, Noah, Seth, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David, etc. If all of these descendants are the "seed" of Eve (the woman) then it goes without saying that Jesus Christ (also a descendant) is considered Eve's "seed" as well. Common sense.
3) You don't actually believe that "the serpent" is a literal snake -- do you?

a sowing
    seed
    semen virile
  • of moral quality

This is the interpretation I get . The head touching the heel.

View attachment 32644

Good try but the verse is discussing two, different seeds. The embryo in your picture represents one seed.

-Bereishit 3

it would seem you've inserted a few things into Bereishit 3
Genesis - Chapter 3 Parshah Bereishit - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

-Bereishit 3

Only the commentary. Is more obvious on-site.

Gen 25 , commentary: if funny how they described this. First in , last out. So
last out should get the blessing.

And afterwards, his brother emerged, etc.: I heard a Midrash Aggadah that interprets it (the verse) according to its simple meaning: He (Jacob) held onto him lawfully, to restrain him. Jacob was formed from the first drop and Esau from the second. Go forth and learn from a tube that has a narrow opening. Insert two stones into it, one after the other. The one that entered first will emerge last, and the one that entered last will emerge first. The result is that Esau, who was formed last, emerged first, and Jacob, who was formed first emerged last, and Jacob came to restrain him so that he (Jacob) should be the first to be born as he was the first to be formed, and he would open her womb and take the birthright by law. — [From Gen. Rabbah

also Jacob was holding onto Esau's heel which meant he would rule over Esau.

Jacob and Esau are figurative for 2 nations.

a sowing
    seed
    semen virile
  • of moral quality

Should be obvious. "Seed" means offspring or children. Both the serpent and Eve had offspring or children. What you need to really do is figure out just who the serpent is and you will have your answer.

And afterwards, his brother emerged, etc.: I heard a Midrash Aggadah that interprets it (the verse) according to its simple meaning: He (Jacob) held onto him lawfully, to restrain him. Jacob was formed from the first drop and Esau from the second. Go forth and learn from a tube that has a narrow opening. Insert two stones into it, one after the other. The one that entered first will emerge last, and the one that entered last will emerge first. The result is that Esau, who was formed last, emerged first, and Jacob, who was formed first emerged last, and Jacob came to restrain him so that he (Jacob) should be the first to be born as he was the first to be formed, and he would open her womb and take the birthright by law. — [From Gen. Rabbah

Actually, Jacob and Esau are literal individuals and fathers of 2 nations. Their offspring were often referred to as "Esau/Edom" and "Jacob/Israel."

a sowing
    seed
    semen virile
  • of moral quality

Should be obvious. "Seed" means offspring or children. Both the serpent and Eve had offspring or children. What you need to really do is figure out just who the serpent is and you will have your answer.

Agreed. Christ revealed their identity.

Actually, Jacob and Esau are literal individuals and fathers of 2 nations. Their offspring were often referred to as "Esau/Edom" and "Jacob/Israel."

That is debatable, depends if one believes the Bible is literal or not.

They made an excuse to back up Rebecca's and Jacobs deception is all.

Last edited:

No doubt that a deceptive act was committed but Jacob still ended up with the blessing and the birthright. Esau sold his birthright for a bowl of pottage. What's done is done.

-Bereishit 3

I've inserted nothing. The Word of God is the Word of God. I had nothing to do with it.

-Bereishit 3

I've inserted nothing. The Word of God is the Word of God. I had nothing to do with it.

Pretty sure that was for me. :)

By the way, the "begats" wouldn't exist if the Bible wasn't literal. What figurative meaning is there to a long family tree?

-Bereishit 3

Pretty sure that was for me. :)

I'm sure you would like to think so.

No doubt that a deceptive act was committed but Jacob still ended up with the blessing and the birthright. Esau sold his birthright for a bowl of pottage. What's done is done.

Ha Ha, that does not delete the deception of Jacob and Rebecca lying.

Ha Ha, that does not delete the deception of Jacob and Rebecca lying.

Didn't say it did. I was responding to your comment about whether the Bible is "literal" or not.

-Bereishit 3

Its the history of the Jews.

Forum List

Back