"seed!" Literal Or Figurative? (gen. 3:15)

Is the word "seed" as read in Genesis 3:15 to be taken literally or figuratively?

• The word "seed" is clearly to be taken literally. It means "offspring" or "posterity."

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • The word "seed" is clearly a figurative term that doesn't refer to flesh & blood offspring.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please expain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Gen 25 , commentary: if funny how they described this. First in , last out. So
last out should get the blessing.

And afterwards, his brother emerged, etc.: I heard a Midrash Aggadah that interprets it (the verse) according to its simple meaning: He (Jacob) held onto him lawfully, to restrain him. Jacob was formed from the first drop and Esau from the second. Go forth and learn from a tube that has a narrow opening. Insert two stones into it, one after the other. The one that entered first will emerge last, and the one that entered last will emerge first. The result is that Esau, who was formed last, emerged first, and Jacob, who was formed first emerged last, and Jacob came to restrain him so that he (Jacob) should be the first to be born as he was the first to be formed, and he would open her womb and take the birthright by law. — [From Gen. Rabbah

also Jacob was holding onto Esau's heel which meant he would rule over Esau.

Jacob and Esau are figurative for 2 nations.

Actually, Jacob and Esau are literal individuals and fathers of 2 nations. Their offspring were often referred to as "Esau/Edom" and "Jacob/Israel."

That is debatable, depends if one believes the Bible is literal or not.

They made an excuse to back up Rebecca's and Jacobs deception is all.
By the way, the "begats" wouldn't exist if the Bible wasn't literal. What figurative meaning is there to a long family tree?

Well many things in the OT are not true or have been exaggerated. Some came from the Sumerians, who also has a flood story and a creation story. So now we have Cain and Able , Cain killed able, then we have Ishmael and Isaac, and then Esau and Jacob, who fought each other for your years and then the Edomites were forced into Judaism.

Ezra said there was a lot of intermarriage, which I do believe, so who are Jews of today, who knows.

so whether one takes the seed as literal or as figurative is irrelevant.

I've inserted nothing. The Word of God is the Word of God. I had nothing to do with it.

A lot of people interpret the Bible this way, you are not alone. One thing you have to keep in mind when studying the Bible, it has been translated several times from it's original Hebrew. Now Hebrew is a strange language compared to English, there are words in Hebrew which have no corresponding English word, and there are English words which have no corresponding word in Hebrew. So there are a lot of instances in the Bible where liberties were taken in translation. I'm not saying that is the case here, but it could be.

So the question then becomes, just how the hell are we supposed to figure out what the Bible is saying if we can't take it literally and we don't know what has been translated incorrectly? According to a Christian pastor who is a close personal friend, we are supposed to devote ourselves to God and through that devotion and faith, God will reveal the meanings and intent. I'm not a Christian but hey, that makes sense to me.

Never occured to you to look at an actual Torah did it.

15. And I shall place hatred between you and between the woman, and between your seed and between her seed. He will crush your head, and you will bite his heel."

And I shall place hatred: You intended that the man should die when he would eat first, and you would marry Eve, and you came to Eve first only because women are easily enticed, and they know how to entice their husbands. Therefore, “I shall place hatred.”

He will crush your head: יְשׁוּפְךָ רֹאשׁ, lit. he will crush you the head. He will crush you, like (Deut. 9:21): “And I crushed it,” which is translated by the Targum as

and you will bite his heel: Heb. תְּשׁוּפֶנוּ. You will not stand upright and you will bite him on the heel, and even from there you will kill him. The expression תְּשׁוּפֶנוּ is like (Isa. 40:24): “He blew (נָשַׁף) on them.” When a snake comes to bite, it blows with a sort of hiss, and since the two expressions coincide [i.e., they sound alike], Scripture used the expression of נְשִׁיפָה in both cases.

-Bereishit 3

The seeds refers to offspring of the serpent and humans. Their descendents. It's a Jewish text, why would it refer to Christ? That came about a thousand years later. Talk about reaching.
it would seem you've inserted a few things into Bereishit 3
Genesis - Chapter 3 Parshah Bereishit - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

I've inserted nothing. The Word of God is the Word of God. I had nothing to do with it.

Pretty sure that was for me. :)

I'm sure you would like to think so.
Delta was the one I was mocking, not you....

15. And I shall place hatred between you and between the woman, and between your seed and between her seed. He will crush your head, and you will bite his heel."

And I shall place hatred: You intended that the man should die when he would eat first, and you would marry Eve, and you came to Eve first only because women are easily enticed, and they know how to entice their husbands. Therefore, “I shall place hatred.”

He will crush your head: יְשׁוּפְךָ רֹאשׁ, lit. he will crush you the head. He will crush you, like (Deut. 9:21): “And I crushed it,” which is translated by the Targum as

and you will bite his heel: Heb. תְּשׁוּפֶנוּ. You will not stand upright and you will bite him on the heel, and even from there you will kill him. The expression תְּשׁוּפֶנוּ is like (Isa. 40:24): “He blew (נָשַׁף) on them.” When a snake comes to bite, it blows with a sort of hiss, and since the two expressions coincide [i.e., they sound alike], Scripture used the expression of נְשִׁיפָה in both cases.

-Bereishit 3

The seeds refers to offspring of the serpent and humans. Their descendents. It's a Jewish text, why would it refer to Christ? That came about a thousand years later. Talk about reaching.

Its the history of the Jews.

I prefer to look at it as the biography of the Adamite race.

-Bereishit 3

Pretty sure that was for me. :)

I'm sure you would like to think so.
Delta was the one I was mocking, not you....

I see. It's kind of hard to follow the quotes in this format. I thought Delta was telling me that I had inserted something. My bad ... stepping back. LOL

A lot of people interpret the Bible this way, you are not alone. One thing you have to keep in mind when studying the Bible, it has been translated several times from it's original Hebrew. Now Hebrew is a strange language compared to English, there are words in Hebrew which have no corresponding English word, and there are English words which have no corresponding word in Hebrew. So there are a lot of instances in the Bible where liberties were taken in translation. I'm not saying that is the case here, but it could be.

So the question then becomes, just how the hell are we supposed to figure out what the Bible is saying if we can't take it literally and we don't know what has been translated incorrectly? According to a Christian pastor who is a close personal friend, we are supposed to devote ourselves to God and through that devotion and faith, God will reveal the meanings and intent. I'm not a Christian but hey, that makes sense to me.

I'm sort of an old fashioned Christian. I still believe that God has preserved His Word, intact, and that He has revealed His message to mankind in the English language. I trust that He's 100% in control and that He would not deceive us for He is not a God of confusion.

Where Genesis 3:15 is concerned, I look to the New Testament for some clarification. In the following verses Christ is "in enmity" with the religious zealots of His day. He states the following:

John 8:44, "Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it."

Christ is saying that these folks are "of their father the devil." He then directly refers to them as "serpents" in the following verse:

Matthew 23:33, "Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?"

The word "generations" should be studied. It literally means "posterity" or "seed."

Following is another reference to the idea that the devil has "seed":

Matthew 23:33, "The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;"

This "enmity" has been ongoing from the time of Cain & Abel to the present but was one of its peaks was during the time of Christ when He interacted and faced down the Pharisees (the folks who ultimately saw to it that an innocent Man hung from the cross).

The Bible also makes it clear that "the serpent" was not a literal snake as seen in the following verse:

Revelation 20:2, "And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,"

I'm sort of an old fashioned Christian. I still believe that God has preserved His Word, intact, and that He has revealed His message to mankind in the English language. I trust that He's 100% in control and that He would not deceive us for He is not a God of confusion.

Where Genesis 3:15 is concerned, I look to the New Testament for some clarification. In the following verses Christ is "in enmity" with the religious zealots of His day. He states the following:

John 8:44, "Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it."

Christ is saying that these folks are "of their father the devil." He then directly refers to them as "serpents" in the following verse:

Matthew 23:33, "Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?"

The word "generations" should be studied. It literally means "posterity" or "seed."

Matthew 23:33, "The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;"

This "enmity" has been ongoing from the time of Cain & Abel to the present but was one of its peaks was during the time of Christ when He interacted and faced down the Pharisees (the folks who ultimately saw to it that an innocent Man hung from the cross).

The Bible also makes it clear that "the serpent" was not a literal snake as seen in the following verse:

Revelation 20:2, "And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,"

I did a study on Cain. It is apparent that he went into ancient Sumer which was inhabited by the black-headed-people and because of his super strength and super intelligence, he was made king over them. Cain was taught by the Watchers, a special group of angels, and was far ahead of the people of Sumer. He became a great builder of cities and a conqueror. He was also very evil and is credited with starting up the Babylonia religion which worshipped Satan as his revenge against God. It is said Satan gave Cain his power to conquer. They were into sexual perversions, human sacrifices, and cannibalism. Many believe he was none other than Sargon the Magnificent.

I did a study on Cain. It is apparent that he went into ancient Sumer which was inhabited by the black-headed-people and because of his super strength and super intelligence, he was made king over them. Cain was taught by the Watchers, a special group of angels, and was far ahead of the people of Sumer. He became a great builder of cities and a conqueror. He was also very evil and is credited with starting up the Babylonia religion which worshipped Satan as his revenge against God. It is said Satan gave Cain his power to conquer. They were into sexual perversions, human sacrifices, and cannibalism. Many believe he was none other than Sargon the Magnificent.

Interesting. I've read through a few extra-biblical books but have never come across anything like what you mention above. From a biblical standpoint, I find it interesting that Cain is omitted from Adam's Genealogy. Abel and Seth are mentioned but Cain's name won't be found. He had a genealogy of his own where Adam's name is conspicuously absent.

I have no doubt that he married into a non-Adamic people "east of Eden." Many students of the Bible miss some of these little but important details. In the sixth day God "created" men and women, fiat (plural and simultaneously). One the seventh day, God rested. After God rested (the eighth day) God "formed" Adam from from from pre-existing matter -- the dust. He later formed Eve (singular) from Adam's rib. The number 8 is representative of "new beginnings." Anyway, Cain moved eastward and married a woman from the 6th day creation (I believe).

The "seed" that was (and is) in enmity with the "seed of the woman" were the descendants of Cain. He was a "murderer from the beginning" as Christ mentioned while disputing with the Pharisees in John 8:44.

-Bereishit 3

-Bereishit 3

The human race.;)

sometimes you interpret literally, sometimes symbolically. This is one of them. How to interpret the Bible properly? That's a whole other thread....

We we know for a fact that Eve had children and one term for children is "seed" so are Eve's children literal or "symbolic?"

-Bereishit 3

-Bereishit 3

The human race.;)

Care to elaborate on how Adam has been dated to 4004 BCE while the city of Jerico has been dated 9000 - 11000 BCE?

Interesting. I've read through a few extra-biblical books but have never come across anything like what you mention above. From a biblical standpoint, I find it interesting that Cain is omitted from Adam's Genealogy. Abel and Seth are mentioned but Cain's name won't be found. He had a genealogy of his own where Adam's name is conspicuously absent.

I have no doubt that he married into a non-Adamic people "east of Eden." Many students of the Bible miss some of these little but important details. In the sixth day God "created" men and women, fiat (plural and simultaneously). One the seventh day, God rested. After God rested (the eighth day) God "formed" Adam from from from pre-existing matter -- the dust. He later formed Eve (singular) from Adam's rib. The number 8 is representative of "new beginnings." Anyway, Cain moved eastward and married a woman from the 6th day creation (I believe).

The "seed" that was (and is) in enmity with the "seed of the woman" were the descendants of Cain. He was a "murderer from the beginning" as Christ mentioned while disputing with the Pharisees in John 8:44.

It's really not that hard to see and to make the Bible agree with scientific discovery.

God created the races and told them to go forth and multiply. He placed them over the animals and the sea. These people became hunters, gatherers, and fisherman. Later God planted the Garden but needed a man to tend that Garden. He created Adam and breathed His own breath into Adam. Adam = Man = Thinker. Adam was able to converse with God and was teachable. The angels taught Adam all about farming and horticulture. The angels also taught Cain and Abel. These domesticated some of the animals such as the sheep for their own clothing but were primarily farmers and fruit growers.

The earth was one big piece of land surrounded by the oceans. The races easily spread out over the earth. Many went into China, Mongolia, and Africa.
It was not until after the flood and the Tower of Babel in the days of Peleg that God divided the land mass into the continents we have today. He divided the people onto these continents and confused their languages.

Adam was of the white race. The Bible is a biography of the Adamite race only. Adam is dated 40004 BCE. The city of Jerico has been the most excavated of the ancient cities. They have found 20 different civilizations at Jerico. The oldest has been dated to be from 11000 - 9000 BCE.

It's really not that hard to see and to make the Bible agree with scientific discovery.

God created the races and told them to go forth and multiply. He placed them over the animals and the sea. These people became hunters, gatherers, and fisherman. Later God planted the Garden but needed a man to tend that Garden. He created Adam and breathed His own breath into Adam. Adam = Man = Thinker. Adam was able to converse with God and was teachable. The angels taught Adam all about farming and horticulture. The angels also taught Cain and Abel. These domesticated some of the animals such as the sheep for their own clothing but were primarily farmers and fruit growers.

The earth was one big piece of land surrounded by the oceans. The races easily spread out over the earth. Many went into China, Mongolia, and Africa.
It was not until after the flood and the Tower of Babel in the days of Peleg that God divided the land mass into the continents we have today. He divided the people onto these continents and confused their languages.

Adam was of the white race. The Bible is a biography of the Adamite race only. Adam is dated 40004 BCE. The city of Jerico has been the most excavated of the ancient cities. They have found 20 different civilizations at Jerico. The oldest has been dated to be from 11000 - 9000 BCE.

More interesting thoughts. Thank you. It'll give me something to think about. I did look up the name "Adam" in the Strong's Concordance and found that "adam" means "rosy complexion" or "the ability to blush." It seems to me that everything God does has significance so naming Adam by that name must serve a purpose or reveal a truth of some kind.

Hebrew Lexicon H119 KJV

??...a rather bold misdirection
Lexicon :: Strong's H120 - 'adam
אָדָם

Transliteration
'adam
Pronunciation
ä·däm' אָדַם (H119)
Dictionary Aids
TWOT Reference: 25a
Outline of Biblical Usage
  1. man, mankind
    1. man, human being

2. man, mankind (much more frequently intended sense in OT)

3. Adam, first man

4. city in Jordan valley
KJV Translation Count — Total: 552x
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Hebrew Lexicon H120 KJV

אָדָם

Transliteration
'adam
Pronunciation
ä·däm' אָדַם (H119)
Dictionary Aids
  1. man, mankind
    1. man, human being

3. Adam, first man

4. city in Jordan valley
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Hebrew Lexicon H120 KJV

Right, Adam was "Man". The other races that preceded Adam had not the breath of God nor had they been taught by the angels. They were considered so inferior even by Adam, that they were considered little more than animals. When Adam said Eve was the mother of all living, he was speaking of her being the mother of all "Man" or the Adamite race. He didn't recognize the other races as being on the same level.

אָדָם

Transliteration
'adam
Pronunciation
ä·däm' אָדַם (H119)
Dictionary Aids
  1. man, mankind
    1. man, human being

3. Adam, first man

4. city in Jordan valley
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Hebrew Lexicon H120 KJV

Word 120 comes directly from word 119. Check it out. 119 is the "root" of 120. So it translates as "a man with the ability to blush" or "a man with a rosy complexion."

אָדָם

Transliteration
'adam
Pronunciation
ä·däm' אָדַם (H119)
Dictionary Aids
  1. man, mankind
    1. man, human being

3. Adam, first man

4. city in Jordan valley
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Hebrew Lexicon H120 KJV

Word 120 comes directly from word 119. Check it out. 119 is the "root" of 120. So it translates as "a man with the ability to blush" or "a man with a rosy complexion."
no.......man with ruddy complexion would be more like Adam adam......

Forum List

Back