Senator Warren introduces military housing bill to boost inspections, transparency

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Good Lord above! Every once in a blue moon, the Lefty Dims actually come up with something that not only makes sense but serve a good purpose.

This is definitely one of them.

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Senator Elizabeth Warren will introduce a bill Friday that offers new protections for U.S. military families facing unsafe housing, following a series of Reuters reports revealing squalid conditions in privately managed base homes.

The Reuters reports and later Congressional hearings detailed widespread hazards including lead paint exposure, vermin infestations, collapsing ceilings, mold and maintenance lapses in privatized base housing communities that serve some 700,000 U.S. military family members.

(View Warren’s military housing bill here. https://tmsnrt.rs/2Dy5aht)

I’ve been reading lots of stories about the abhorrent condition of housing for service members of all branches and in places here at home and overseas.

This is something GOP members from both houses must get behind.

More
@ Senator Warren offers military housing bill to boost inspections, transparency | One America News Network

Considering it's Fauxcohontas I'm surprised it isn't a law forcing people to house soldiers and government agent, submit to inspections and provide basic sustainment.

Good Lord above! Every once in a blue moon, the Lefty Dims actually come up with something that not only makes sense but serve a good purpose.

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Senator Elizabeth Warren will introduce a bill Friday that offers new protections for U.S. military families facing unsafe housing, following a series of Reuters reports revealing squalid conditions in privately managed base homes.

The Reuters reports and later Congressional hearings detailed widespread hazards including lead paint exposure, vermin infestations, collapsing ceilings, mold and maintenance lapses in privatized base housing communities that serve some 700,000 U.S. military family members.

I’ve been reading lots of stories about the abhorrent condition of housing for service members of all branches and in places here at home and overseas.

More
@ Senator Warren offers military housing bill to boost inspections, transparency | One America News Network

The irony of this is that it was the push for privatization that led to this. Once control of housing was taken from the military and given to the lowest bidder and the results were as expected.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Huh? If she wasn't being transparent when she 'claimed' that she was a Native American, how is she going to be transparent about the Military?

:1peleas:

Oh great another government mess that’s going to be cleaned up by even more government. Should work out well.

I have a simple question. Who at the government is allowing these contractors to get away without maintaining the units? And if they are failing why aren’t they finding new property managers?

More

The irony of this is that it was the push for privatization that led to this. Once control of housing was taken from the military and given to the lowest bidder and the results were as expected.

More irony is that these places were built by the lowest bidder for government contracts who still charged twice as much as it should.

Oh great another government mess that’s going to be cleaned up by even more government. Should work out well.

I have a simple question. Who at the government is allowing these contractors to get away without maintaining the units? And if they are failing why aren’t they finding new property managers?

The military is the government, you cannot get away from that.

They need to go back to the old way where the military owns, runs and maintains base housing.

This is what you get when you pick your property managers based on the lowest bidder.

More

More irony is that these places were built by the lowest bidder for government contracts who still charged twice as much as it should.

That is the way of the government.

This
Military housing privatization was enacted by the 104th Congress in 1996 under Bill Clinton.
An overview can be found @ Military Housing Privatization Initiative

I don't know what went wrong, but it's clear the whole thing has gone to the dogs. Does this mean that a private contractor was allowed to become a Slum Lord? Without any real oversight?

This
Military housing privatization was enacted by the 104th Congress in 1996 under Bill Clinton.

I don't know what went wrong, but it's clear the whole thing has gone to the dogs. Does this mean that a private contractor was allowed to become a Slum Lord? Without any real oversight?

I was living in base housing during the conversion, you could see the change almost instantly. Prior to if there was an issue someone was out to fix it within hours, after it was days. It was such a scam for them, they automatically got the housing allowance from everyone so they never had to worry about people not paying rent yet they did not use it well.

And it was not just base housing but a lot of the base functions like supply, the chow hall, utilities and more. The group that took over the services at MCAS Yuma said they could do it with 2/3 the amount of military folks that were doing it. You can guess how well that went over. I was the Flight Clearance Chief and FAA regulations stated we have to have a working radio for planes to contract us. One afternoon it went out at about 3:45, I called to get it fixed and was told since it was going to be after 4pm I had to call the base CO and get his permission for overtime to fix the radio...that was required by law. The quality of food went down in the chow halls as well as the selection.

if you are lost as to whether to vote for Pocahontas, do yourself a favor & take mixed signals as a resounding NO!

They need to go back to the old way where the military owns, runs and maintains base housing.

This is what you get when you pick your property managers based on the lowest bidder.
It's actually what you get when you when you try to fake a free market with the government running the show. You get special operators who have friends in the right places who can neglect the maintenance and yet still keep the contract.

The military is the government is as dumb as claiming that education is the government. You can take care of both problems with vouchers and a free market system. Let military people get a voucher for their housing and let them choose. You will get better places to live at better prices. Let their kids go to the schools they like. Better educations.

You can't claim the free market failed when in fact it was never there to begin with.

This

I was living in base housing during the conversion, you could see the change almost instantly. Prior to if there was an issue someone was out to fix it within hours, after it was days. It was such a scam for them, they automatically got the housing allowance from everyone so they never had to worry about people not paying rent yet they did not use it well.

And it was not just base housing but a lot of the base functions like supply, the chow hall, utilities and more. The group that took over the services at MCAS Yuma said they could do it with 2/3 the amount of military folks that were doing it. You can guess how well that went over. I was the Flight Clearance Chief and FAA regulations stated we have to have a working radio for planes to contract us. One afternoon it went out at about 3:45, I called to get it fixed and was told since it was going to be after 4pm I had to call the base CO and get his permission for overtime to fix the radio...that was required by law. The quality of food went down in the chow halls as well as the selection.
It's almost like you didn't get a free market system in which to choose where you spent your money. Kinda like a government mandate.

It's actually what you get when you when you try to fake a free market with the government running the show. You get special operators who have friends in the right places who can neglect the maintenance and yet still keep the contract.

The military is the government is as dumb as claiming that education is the government. You can take care of both problems with vouchers and a free market system. Let military people get a voucher for their housing and let them choose. You will get better places to live at better prices. Let their kids go to the schools they like. Better educations.

You can't claim the free market failed when in fact it was never there to begin with.

Why stop there, put the whole military on the free market since you do not think it is part of the government. Just disband the Fed military and hire Mercs whenever you need to fight a war.

This

It's almost like you didn't get a free market system in which to choose where you spent your money. Kinda like a government mandate.

you have never been in the military, have you?

yes--why do they need ANOTHER bill?
kick the property manager's ass OUT

yes--why do they need ANOTHER bill?
kick the property manager's ass OUT

Clearly they are not doing that, which is why this is an issue.

Why stop there, put the whole military on the free market since you do not think it is part of the government. Just disband the Fed military and hire Mercs whenever you need to fight a war.
Well why is that the stopping point? Let's go the other way and just have everyone live in government housing. It's good enough for our military people so good enough for all don't you think?

This sounds like a win-win: Improving military housing and promoting a loony Presidential candidate with no chance of being elected.

Well why is that the stopping point? Let's go the other way and just have everyone live in government housing. It's good enough for our military people so good enough for all don't you think?

The rest of the population are not government employees that move on average of every 3 years nor go on deployments for up to a year at a time.

are you really this stupid or are you just so blindly partisan that you would fuck over the military vice agreeing with a Dem?

Forum List

Back