🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Sex Trafficking Victims Sues Hotel: Teen forced to have sex with 1000 Men

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
1. In Houston/Harris County, the DA started going after businesses for nuisances and crime on their property, in an effort to stop trafficking indirectly.

Other DA offices would contact them on tips for enforcing
other laws in order to combat trafficking that was otherwise skirting them.

2. Now I see other stories of trafficking victims suing the hotel businesses.

Teen says she was forced to have sex with 1,000 men over 2 years

3. Under RICO, there are ways to claim property as restitution if the wrongdoers were abusing that for organized racketeering such as drug and human trafficking.

I'd rather the laws target the actual wrongdoers, but this strategy of targeting businesses that ENABLE trafficking seems to be an effective approach to start with.

[EDITED to separate these 3 things that aren't related. Sorry]

Last edited:

In Houston/Harris County, the DA started going after businesses for nuisances and crime on their property, in an effort to stop trafficking indirectly.

Now I see other stories of trafficking victims suing the hotel businesses.

Under RICO, there are ways to claim property as restitution if the wrongdoers were abusing that for organized racketeering such as drug and human trafficking.

I'd rather the laws target the actual wrongdoers, but this strategy of targeting businesses that ENABLE trafficking seems to be an effective approach to start with.
Horrible idea unless the Hotel was complicit in the trafficking.

It is a terrible precedent to have when you can go after the big money that had no idea or reasonable connection with the crime simply because they were present. I also do not think it will do jack shit to trafficking.

In Houston/Harris County, the DA started going after businesses for nuisances and crime on their property, in an effort to stop trafficking indirectly.

Under RICO, there are ways to claim property as restitution if the wrongdoers were abusing that for organized racketeering such as drug and human trafficking.

It is a terrible precedent to have when you can go after the big money that had no idea or reasonable connection with the crime simply because they were present. I also do not think it will do jack shit to trafficking.

FA_Q2 I don't think they will win those cases.

Where the local DA was gaining ground was not in trying to sue for damages, but enforce ordinances for compliance. By forcing businesses to get rid of criminal nuisance, then they had to get rid of the trafficking going on there; it was put on the businesses to stop it on their property.

I think you're right about these other cases of suing third parties. I don't think that will succeed except in publicizing the plight, which may work as a deterrent, by ADVERTISING that that hotel business has had such problems. Maybe that will shed light on the problem and serve as disinfectant.

Yes. The whole property seizure without being charged and convicted of anything has been nothing but a nightmare for many innocent people, very abusive, and needs to be reigned in.

You mean when they see a 40 year old man check in with a 16 year old girl under the name "John Smith" and only take the room for an hour...

They didn't know what was going on?

You mean when they see a 40 year old man check in with a 16 year old girl under the name "John Smith" and only take the room for an hour...

They didn't know what was going on?
Uh....guy
Checking in is not necessarily happens that way as you describe it. Since people are not stopped at the door and asked for ID-s and hotel room booking proof your statement makes no sense at all. How about hotels where the front desk is located where people do not have to go through a lobby but approach their rooms directly from the parking lot?
The girl should have screamed for help when on hotel property.

I'd have to say there needs to be some proof the hotel knew under aged prostitution was going on and ignored it

What if you rented an apartment to sex traffickers?

We are in an age of "No tell Motels"

It is not a hotels business to investigate whether patrons are married or not. As long as there are no complaints, what goes on in a rented room is not their business

Going after the hotel? Unless they can find direct evidence the hotel knew about this I think it sets a bad precedent. The hotel just needs to provide a key and clean room. How can they possibly be responsible for what goes on in the rooms.

There is no way the operators of the hotel did not know that the prostitution was not going on. One girl... 1000 incidents of forced sex? Multiply that girl by say a dozen and we could have more than 10,000 cases of forced prostitution. Then there are the associated drug violations and the police responses to that location. The employees of the motel were clearly and obviously knowledgeable.

I was recently working to clean up a similar situation here in Seattle. 2009 160 police responses to the motel. The city closed the motel and threatened to confiscate it as a public nuisance.

It is far more likely the operators of the hotel were not only knowledgeable but participants to allow that much illegal activity to exist on the premises.

1. Yes, agreed rightwinger but depending on the state, certain professionals or other persons
are required to report child abuse.

Professionals Required to Report
Approximately 48 States, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands designate professions whose members are mandated by law to report child maltreatment.1 1 The word “approximately” is used to stress the fact that States frequently amend their laws. This information is current only through August 2015. At that time, New Jersey and Wyoming were the only two States that did not enumerate specific professional groups as mandated reporters but required all persons to report. Individuals designated as mandatory reporters typically have frequent contact with children. Such individuals may include: ƒ Social workers ƒ Teachers, principals, and other school personnel ƒ Physicians, nurses, and other health-care workers ƒ Counselors, therapists, and other mental health professionals ƒ Child care providers ƒ Medical examiners or coroners ƒ Law enforcement officers

Mandatory Reporters of Child Abuse and Neglect - Child Welfare Information Gateway

Reporting by Other Persons
In approximately 18 States and Puerto Rico, any person who suspects child abuse or neglect is required to report. Of these 18 States, 16 States and Puerto Rico specify certain professionals who must report, but also require all persons to report suspected abuse or neglect, regardless of profession.9 9 Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, and Utah. New Jersey and Wyoming require all persons to report without specifying any professions. In all other States, territories, and the District of Columbia, any person is permitted to report. These voluntary reporters of abuse are often referred to as “permissive reporters.”

2. In Houston, they observed the problem areas and businesses where "suspected" trafficking was going on.
And caught them on OTHER violations that they COULD prove. So by cleaning up those violations,
this indirectly reduced the other "traffic" going on there which was drug or prostitution related.

3. some nonprofit outreach groups
started putting help line posters and cards in hotel rooms,
so victims could potentially get help.

IN general the more aware the public and staff in these areas are
of the risk or complaints of trafficking, the greater chances of
finding an opening to rescue a victim or to prove violations of any level where action can be taken legally.

I'd have to say there needs to be some proof the hotel knew under aged prostitution was going on and ignored it

What if you rented an apartment to sex traffickers?
This is actually far more common than the standard view of the hotel hooker. Traffickers will rent an apartment and then run a few girls from that location. It is not as though they are flaunting what they do to the owners.

There is no way the operators of the hotel did not know that the prostitution was not going on. One girl... 1000 incidents of forced sex? Multiply that girl by say a dozen and we could have more than 10,000 cases of forced prostitution. Then there are the associated drug violations and the police responses to that location. The employees of the motel were clearly and obviously knowledgeable.

I was recently working to clean up a similar situation here in Seattle. 2009 160 police responses to the motel. The city closed the motel and threatened to confiscate it as a public nuisance.

It is far more likely the operators of the hotel were not only knowledgeable but participants to allow that much illegal activity to exist on the premises.
Sure it is possible. She rents a room for a few days and the johns use the side entrance. They never have to even see a hotel worker for the entire visit. Assuming that they know assumes that there is no effort on the part of the prostitutes and/or traffickers to cover their asses.

Couple that with the high traffic already seen at a hotel and you have a situation that goes unnoticed. Not all that unreasonable at all.

Owners of hotels have always been responsible for the safety of their guests, so this is nothing new or alarming or revolutionary.

We are in an age of "No tell Motels"

It is not a hotels business to investigate whether patrons are married or not. As long as there are no complaints, what goes on in a rented room is not their business
I have to agree. The only way that a hotel can go after their customers is if any damage is brought to their property, but maybe that right there is just it. Damage is now being brought to their property which in my opinion is what gives them the right and ability to go after whoever is responsible for it. May the needed domino affect take place!

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back