Shiva-Leviathan: Tech-DJ

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This is a modernism-paranoia vignette inspired by Ghost in the Machine.

It references Shiva (Hindu god of destruction), symbol of authority, Leviathan (metaphysical sea-beast of pure chaos), symbol of anarchy, and Video-Man (Marvel Comics), symbol of modernism-paranoia.

Signing off,

====

Shiva (Lord of Destruction) was presiding on his mountaintop and meditating on the metaphysical impact of the modern world's preoccupation with electrical energy and tech-toys. Shiva conjectured that the mass obsession among American women with the social networking website Facebook (which many claimed was an 'addictive recreation-toy') would lead to a kind of 'intellectual sloth.' Shiva also conjectured that the American comic book 'super-villain' Video-Man (Marvel Comics), an abomination created in the virtual world of computer grids (a 'humanoid' completely comprised of electrons!), signified a dangerous modern civilization focus on algorithm-perfectionism.

Shiva had reason to worry, for the vast modern global labyrinth of connected computers created a strange array of electrical shapes and static phenomena that gave rise to a hideous real amorphous A.I. 'being' known as Leviathan. Leviathan was ten-times worse than Video-Man, and it/he seemed to prey on humanity's blind obsession with the Internet (e.g., eBay, Amazon.com, Facebook, eTrade, Twitter, YouTube, etc., etc., etc.). Shiva realized that no human mind could deal with Leviathan and therefore resolved to deal with the amorphous 'creature' on his own (on behalf of mankind of course!). Shiva wanted to take care not to completely 'destroy' Leviathan (lest Shiva disrupt the natural spontaneity of the Internet).

SHIVA: Why are you here?
LEVIATHAN: You found me, because you're a 'network wizard.'
SHIVA: True, but I'm also a destroyer/decoder/detective, and I'm curious.
LEVIATHAN: You're curious to understand connections between water and electricity!
SHIVA: Perhaps, since I like 'electricity-spiritualism' films such as Ghost in the Machine.
LEVIATHAN: The modern world is full of computer-geeks and Internet-hackers, Shiva.
SHIVA: I suppose you're 'upset' about mankind's 'juvenile tinkering' with technology!
LEVIATHAN: You guessed correctly about my malice, but can you guess my 'origins'?
SHIVA: I believe you're from the dimension of anarchy, Leviathan...
LEVIATHAN: That's right! Since you understand this, I want you to help me.
SHIVA: What do you ask of me, Leviathan?
LEVIATHAN: If you can guess my size/scale, then I will depart (and leave humanity alone)!
SHIVA: Alright, if your size/scale is 'intangible,' then how can you fight growth-demons?
LEVIATHAN: A 'demon' who aggravates growth-anxiety would destroy me!
SHIVA: Humans may liberally 'select' the size/scale of toys, to create markets.
LEVIATHAN: Agreed. Remember my omen --- tech-obsession creates pettiness!
SHIVA: I will purchase a talking robotic Teddy Ruxpin doll for my child...

====

darkness.jpg

Forum List

Back