🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Should you ask for a raise?

Should you ask for a raise?

• No. Accept the pay you get.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. Just quit.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes but only if you are willing to quit.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Yes. Pay should be revisited occasionally.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Depends on the situation.

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

presonorek

Gold Member
Jun 7, 2015
Alabama
Currently I do not work in a field where I am paid hourly but I used to work in a field like that. My question is this: Should you ever ask for a raise?

I voted, “Yes but only if you are willing to quit.”

You should determine your own worth based on your own personality, wisdom, knowledge, and working conditions. It is fair to give your employer the opportunity to agree or disagree with your assessment. If they agree you should stay another three years. If they disagree you should put in your two weeks notice ASAP. If you aren’t willing to quit then you don’t deserve the raise.

If you feel you're underpaid, go to the highest person on the ladder and make your case. That always worked for me in the past.

If you feel you're underpaid, go to the highest person on the ladder and make your case. That always worked for me in the past.

It worked for me most times. There was a time it didn’t work. I even offered the option of working less hours at the same rate instead of a raise. They still said, “no”. I quit promptly and was out of work for about 4 months. I’m just not a fan of all bark and no bite. I did get a job making much more so over the course of 18 months I recovered the lost wages for those 4 months. In hindsight I probably should have never asked but exited strategically. However I expected them to say yes.

Currently I do not work in a field where I am paid hourly but I used to work in a field like that. My question is this: Should you ever ask for a raise?

Ever?

Of course. If you are union and there is a schedule, then you shouldn't. Or if there are annual reviews and merit increases. Otherwise if you think you deserve a raise, ask. The worst that can happen is your boss will say no.

The way I work now I just work more if I want more money. Even though they still whine about overtime there is always the option to work longer hours or more days. Since my job is always in the evenings it would be easy for me to get a day job if I really wanted more money.

Darn. I've only worked straight commission my entire life. Never had a salary or hourly rate.

Getting paid 30 bucks an hour or whatever???. You gotta be fucking kidding me?

Otherwise if you think you deserve a raise, ask. The worst that can happen is your boss will say no.

Maybe it is my personality but being told no in that scenario is a nuclear bomb. You just proved to them that you are a pushover. You can never ask again. It will confirm that you are maxed out and it is time to go.

Darn. I've only worked straight commission my entire life. Never had a salary or hourly rate.

Jokes? I made way less than $30 an hour. I was making $8.00 at one time. Another time I was making $6.25 an hour back in 2002.

What’s so durn funny?

I would never kid around with you good buddy. Why do you assume that I make jokes?

I would never kid around with you good buddy. Why do you assume that I make jokes?
I'm afraid your performance review for attitude and politeness on this thread renders you no raise.

If you have a union in your workplace, the boss is required to tell you to "fuck off" if you ask for a raise.

The Union Business Agent is the "exclusive bargaining agent" and is likely to dumpsterize you if you go around his back.

Asking for a raise and/or a promotion is part of life, and if someone is going to work long term for an establishment, such a request in inevitable.

A lot of employers will be pleased not to give someone a raise for 40 years if they don't ask for it and seem like they are pleased with what they are getting.

I'm afraid your performance review for attitude and politeness on this thread renders you no raise.

Shucks. I’m getting paid zero to be here anyways I will be ok ok with being paid zero in the future . What are you paying the better attitude and polite members of this forum? I’m open to getting paid half of the amount you pay to the least polite person with the worst attitude. What is half? Is it more or less than $5 per year? Either way, I will take it.

To ask for a raise I'd have to get a job, eww. If I did work like yous It wouldn't hurt to ask if enough time has elapsed say six months to a year.

Shucks. I’m getting paid zero to be here anyways I will be ok ok with being paid zero in the future . What are you paying the better attitude and polite members of this forum? I’m open to getting paid half of the amount you pay to the least polite person with the worst attitude. What is half? Is it more or less than $5 per year? Either way, I will take it.
These guys are angry adults who need a nap and a bottle.

Forum List

Back