Snow skiing

dblack

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
How many of you pathetic losers are skiers?

It's pretty much the only thing I live for.

so do tell what length do you ski...only alpine or do you nordic or perhaps telemark
It's funny - last year I took lessons to learn to ski moguls better. My instructor was on tellies. And completely tearing it up. He was older than me, and heavier. I said, "I hurt my knee a couple of years ago, so I need to be careful". He responded, "Yeah, that's why I just had both of mine replaced" (six months prior, and he was already at full tilt).

:omg:

People in CO are a bit crazy.

in my younger days...back when dinosaurs roamed the earth i taught and guided nordic skiers....i have alpined but not well....half a binding half a brain...hubby does all three

how odd you mention the knee surgery hubby has both knees replaced...and both shoulders...he place the blame on mtn biking...he is finally realizing his age...o and he stopped climbing....he had given up hang gliding before i married him...i could only take so much

in my younger days...back when dinosaurs roamed the earth i taught and guided nordic skiers....i have alpined but not well....half a binding half a brain...hubby does all three

I used to do both nordic and alpine, I do live within 50 miles of four world class resorts! But was never interested in telemark.

Now that I am waaaay past my prime I am trying to do snow boarding. Totally different from skiing, but a lot slower and I can control my falls better.

I used to do both nordic and alpine, I do live within 50 miles of four world class resorts! But was never interested in telemark.
Yeah? Where you be? I'm in Summit County, CO - seven top notch mountains within 30 minutes.
Now that I am waaaay past my prime I am trying to do snow boarding. Totally different from skiing, but a lot slower and I can control my falls better.
Interesting. My experience was different. I grew up on skateboards - vertical, ramps, air, the whole bit - so snowboarding felt "natural". But at the same time, I'm now 58 and snowboarding was just too much "butt time" for me. I might try it again this season.

We used to drive from Long Island up to my aunt & uncle's chalet up in Vermont. My uncle, my Dad and a few other friends built the place, and it had this massive circular fireplace (more like a fire pit) in the middle of the house. It was an open floor plan, with six bedrooms (some with bunk beds) off the main room.

My Uncle Vinny was a ski instructor at Bromley Mountain in Peru, VT. He was my instructor the first year I strapped on skis. He was also friends with Billy Kidd, who spent a season at Bromley and gave me and my brother some lessons in the early 70's.

I haven't skied since I left California, up in Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead. Once every season we would drive up to Big Bear in the morning, go skiing, and then drive down to Ocean Beach in San Diego and go surfing...

We used to drive from Long Island up to my aunt & uncle's chalet up in Vermont. My uncle, my Dad and a few other friends built the place, and it had this massive circular fireplace (more like a fire pit) in the middle of the house. It was an open floor plan, with six bedrooms (some with bunk beds) off the main room.

My Uncle Vinny was a ski instructor at Bromley Mountain in Peru, VT. He was my instructor the first year I strapped on skis. He was also friends with Billy Kidd, who spent a season at Bromley and gave me and my brother some lessons in the early 70's.
That's really awesome. One of my favorite memories as a kid, was skiing at Steamboat and doing a "tour with Billy Kidd" (circa 1980). When I started skiing again, after 35 years NOT skiing, I went up to Steamboat and was kinda blown away that Billy Kidd is still doing the tours. At freaking 79.

I do love skiing

Canon Shooter nor have you posted pics of colorado nor did you tell me gas is still sky high there...we are 3 bucks...its 3:70 out there

What did you want to see pictures of?

Gas was $3.59 a gallon when I was there, but I only saw 85 and 91 octane. The 85 octane was new to me, but it's sold due to the altitude. It's more fuel efficient at 5,000 feet than 87 octane is at sea level...

Dayumn! I'm impressed. That's basically like doing lunges all day (a whole 'nother level of badass, for the uninformed).
Newp....That's how "tele-piners" do it.

The correct turn is more athletic and dynamic, also using the rear ski to engage in the turning.

SD_SD200410402230202AR.jpg

WRONG!

All the weight here is on the front ski, ,the rear ski is just along for the ride.....Back is nearly erect...CG is barely over the front foot....The only way to turn is to stand up and lunge the right foot forward.

P1030722.jpg

CORRECT!

Body is in a more centered and athletic stance, with shoulders rolled forward....CG is between the feet....Rear ski is engaged in the turn, to the point that you can roll over into your next turn before the switch comes.

My skis are at least running flat, if not engaged in the next turn, before I switch....I can turn without switching and exactly backward while maintaining strong turns....It's FAR more fliud and FAR less physically demanding to turn correctly than it is to "tele-pine".

One time alpine skiing along the north shore of Lake Superior at Lutsen, MN, it was -20F for a high that weekend. It was so damn cold on those chairlifts with the wind off the lake.
We would hit the bar, have a few drinks, hit a couple runs, back to the bar.
Repeat all day.
Didn't feel the cold too much later in the day.

No major wipeouts as drunk as we were.

Forum List

Back