Snowden Year One: Has Your Opinion Changed?

georgephillip

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2009
Los Angeles, California
Hero, whistleblower, traitor what are your current opinions of Edward Snowden and have they changed since June 5, 2013?

"Let's go back to the first story, the first story of June 5, the work of Glenn Greenwald, Laura Poitras. They had gotten to Hong Kong a few days before that. They met Edward Snowden.

"This is all reported in the book, a recent book by Glenn Greenwald, No Place to Hide.

"They met with him on June 3. And they do the first story, which I said is a FISA (Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act) court order, secret court order, concerning Verizon in particular, but saying that Verizon had to turn over all of the metadata on our phone calls in the United States and elsewhere--basically, how long, what cell towers they're from, all kinds of information.

"And from that, of course, they make a tree of everybody, who's in contact with who, and they get a huge range of information about it.

"That was the first story, a big story, because it was a misinterpretation, in many of our views, by the secret court of the FISA powers, of the Foreign Intelligence Act powers. And it also showed just how pervasive the surveillance is.

"Second day, June 6, which will be an anniversary of, on this Friday, the day after tomorrow, they expose the PRISM story.

"That's the NSA has direct access, through our computers, through Google, Facebook, Apple, and other U.S. internet giants, to data held by those internet giants, our actual content of our data--my emails, etc., another huge story."

One Year of Snowden Leaks

Now think about how much we've learned in the last five years ago about war crimes, diplomatic chicanery, private intelligence surveillance, and how we've learned it?

Ask yourselves how much of this new knowledge came to us through our computers?

Then consider the possibility your government has the technical ability to sweep up everything from your computer and store it until needed

Nope. Traitorous swine.
You mean James Clapper, right?

"A second thing they showed us, of course, just one of the details, is that James Clapper, the head of National Intelligence, is a perjurer, that he went in front of Congress and said to Congress, when asked a question by Senator Ron Wyden, whether the NSA had collected any type of data at all on millions or hundreds of millions of Americans, and he's asked that question of Clapper, and Clapper answers, 'No, sir. (...) Not wittingly.' Clear, 100 percent perjury."

One Year of Snowden Leaks

I don't feel any safer. But I have come to accept that our every word is parsed, every action captured on video and that no communication is safe from being recorded.

Not that it helps the situation but it might if enough people get sufficiently angry to get something done about it.

Nope. Traitorous swine.
Any particular reason?

I've had 2 family members deployed since his treason. They were in more danger because of him.

And Mr. Snowden's off doing celebrity interviews.

Fuck 'im.
Have you considered the possibility that your family members are supporting the same sort of economic domination that's driving the NSA to sweep up and store everything you do on your computer or cell phone?

I don't feel any safer. But I have come to accept that our every word is parsed, every action captured on video and that no communication is safe from being recorded.

Not that it helps the situation but it might if enough people get sufficiently angry to get something done about it.
Sometimes I find myself feeling as if the surveillance state is just too powerful and privacy is a thing of the past. I'm pretty sure the elites in the US and the Five Eyes (Canada, UK, Australia, and NZ) would be just as happy to end all protest movements by whatever means necessary.
Then I listen to someone like Michael Ratner and I realize that elite motives haven't changed in hundreds of years. The US had its Revolution. France had hers. It really is all about organization. And timing, of course:badgrin:

Any particular reason?

I've had 2 family members deployed since his treason. They were in more danger because of him.

Fuck 'im.
Have you considered the possibility that your family members are supporting the same sort of economic domination that's driving the NSA to sweep up and store everything you do on your computer or cell phone?

^ America = evil
Everyone else = good

Where do you live? Give me 15 minutes after you post and I'll take you to some water AND make you drink too :cool:

Snowden Year One: Has Your Opinion Changed?
No.

He’s a criminal suspect, presumed innocent, and entitled to due process.

Consequently he should return to the United States to stand trial, and if found guilty be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

The specifics of Snowden’s case notwithstanding, regardless how he rationalized the decision he made to jeopardize the lives of countless Americans, the fact remains it simply wasn’t his decision to make.

Fuck 'im.

^ America = evil
Everyone else = good

Where do you live? Give me 15 minutes after you post and I'll take you to some water AND make you drink too :cool:
Doubt it.

"The greatest purveyor of violence in the world : My own Government, I can not be Silent.”

― Martin Luther King Jr."

Where do you live?

Quote by Martin Luther King Jr.: ?The greatest purveyor of violence in the world ...?

Fuck 'im.
“I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.”
Maj. General Smedley Butler USMC

Forum List

Back