Soccer Attendance

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Long way to go of course but this past weekend the MLS had two clubs reach 60,000+ in attendance...

333935712_3385316815057195_8780762012389794445_n.png

And before you start...it will never be as popular as the NFL, MLB or NBA. Probably not even the NHL....

But it is good to see the folks in these cities supporting their local team.

A third city (LA) would have had a crowd larger than either of those two but the LA Derby was cancelled due to the snowfall in Los Angeles... Instead...El Traffico has been re-scheduled for July 4 apparently.

Ball State!

Isn't is cool that modern globe-media/TV access affords us the purely American view that Homeland MLS-soccer is worth the telling? Personally, I think any access to organized sports in media-age is simply fun for youngsters (thanks for the thread, OP).

====

Americans don't invest in soccer like non-Americans outside America, but there's so much darn money in this sport outside America (e.g., World Cup), you wonder why MLS in the USA simply ain't as magazine-friendly (ha).

ai1.jpg

I may not be the ideal guy to comment on this subject, since I'm a bigger fan of ice-hockey, but I do love me some soccer-video games (i.e., FIFA), and I used to love that World Championship Soccer 'stuff' on Sega, so hey, maybe there's a video-game crossover-genre 'potential' in America, on college campuses, between soccer/ice-hockey.

ai2.jpg

I'm getting a soccer-chess set for my b-day this year (June), since I played soccer in the junior-league as a kid and was offered a chance to play for the travel-team (NJ), and maybe this will help me ween off my addiction to ice-hockey video-games (sure). Maybe the MLS would benefit from more 'savvy'marketing concerning the drafting of big-Euro celeb-names/athletes to key-city teams (e.g., Los Angeles).

ai3.jpg

If the MLS doesn't even get 'higher' than the WNBA, it shall be a shame to men everywhere, but at least we'll still be able to say the US women's national soccer team 'dominates' the field in the World Cup (right?). In any case, I plan to bet big-bucks on the MLS in the recent-future now that the Eagles have lost the Super Bowl (just kidding!).

Stay cool,

====

"Money is everything" (Ecclesiastes)

I saw this the other day, and was impressed. Then I found out my local MLS club (New England Revolution) has chosen to broadcast their games via Apple TV this year, rather than with one of the local stations.

What this tells me is the MLS has no cohesive plan to increase interest and viewership in their league. I would have spent the two hours last night watching the Revs play the Houston Dynamo if it had been on regular tv; but I don’t have Apple TV and I’m not getting it just to watch these games.

Long way to go of course but this past weekend the MLS had two clubs reach 60,000+ in attendance...

And before you start...it will never be as popular as the NFL, MLB or NBA. Probably not even the NHL....

A third city (LA) would have had a crowd larger than either of those two but the LA Derby was cancelled due to the snowfall in Los Angeles... Instead...El Traffico has been re-scheduled for July 4 apparently.

Baseball, football and basketball are the most mind numbingly boring sports ever invented with baseball at the top of the list

The most recent World Cup Final Argentina vs France was arguable the best, most exciting sporting event in human history and cemented Messi as Football's GOAT

They get big crowds in Nashville as well I believe.

i'm always sad when i see empty seats especially in the Italian Serie A league, they don't appreciate the beautiful game

i'm always sad when i see empty seats especially in the Italian Serie A league, they don't appreciate the beautiful game
Serie A is much diminished. The great players dont play there any more. Platini would be at PSG these days, not Juventus.

Serie A is much diminished. The great players dont play there any more. Platini would be at PSG these days, not Juventus.
keep your eye on Udinese though. Deulofeu and Thauvin great attacking players in their prime. hope they qualify for Europa League

also the blond Belgian youngster who plays for AC Milan is a grand talent, but his name i can't pronounce

Forum List

Back