Solar panels

Captain Caveman

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2020
England
Solar panels are fantastic, they save the planet, they give free energy.

So my question is, why hasn't every homeowner, landlord, and business got them on their roofs?

Is it because it's impossible or too costly?

But it's free energy, isn't it??

So my question is, why hasn't every homeowner, landlord, and business got them on their roofs?

People in our area who have bought real set ups have dropped 30 to 45K and still pay electric bills on top of that, just "less than we were". That is one of the issues. Another is very often these companies only exist a few years and then go bankrupt leaving them with nobody to do the X years warranty stuff. The only person I know who absolutely loves their setup didn't do electric. They did solar hot water and it was several years ago when they were using higher quality materials and the system is still going strong.

People in our area who have bought real set ups have dropped 30 to 45K and still pay electric bills on top of that, just "less than we were". That is one of the issues. Another is very often these companies only exist a few years and then go bankrupt leaving them with nobody to do the X years warranty stuff. The only person I know who absolutely loves their setup didn't do electric. They did solar hot water and it was several years ago when they were using higher quality materials and the system is still going strong.
And when their lifespan is up, replacement panels and labour are dearer still.

But they're purported to be so fantastic, I'm shocked why everyone doesn't have them. I don't have them because a house survey showed up they will cost me £1,800 more than just staying with my electric supplier. Southern Scotland with the roof facing the wrong direction.

And when their lifespan is up, replacement panels and labour are dearer still.

But they're purported to be so fantastic, I'm shocked why everyone doesn't have them. I don't have them because a house survey showed up they will cost me £1,800 more than just staying with my electric supplier. Southern Scotland with the roof facing the wrong direction.

My roof face in the right direction with a wide open southern exposure in the mid atlantic US and I still wouldn't do them at the prices people are paying. It would need to be about $5K max before I would roll the dice.

I was considering getting a power wall until I saw that Tesla things have a tendency to catch on fire. If they iron those out and get the prices down, I will probably still do that. Right now, I could get a whole house back up generator powered by natural gas for about $10K which would be cheaper than the powerwall installed.

For a while, I was getting "Indiana homeowners, get solar panels installed for FREE!" ads.

Exploring it more, it seems the company did install solar panels for FREE, but then retained ownership of the panels. And charged you a set amount each month to lease them. Given the cloud cover in Indiana, you were unlikely to break even.

Most solar systems won't provde 200 amps which is standard grid power. 200 amps is about 50,000 watts so, 'net metering' is used to 'sell back' electricity to the power company. Most total solar powered dwellings survive on much less such as 12,000 watts. Solar panels are about 300 watts each. You would need about 167 solar panels to provide anywhere near grid power.

Last edited:

I spent $1800 for solar hot water and my electric bill was cut in half.

My Question?

Florida has millions of rooftops.
Why hasn't FPL/DUKE et al put together a plan that puts panels on roof, connect outside the meter and and offer a discount on monthly rates in exchange for installing the panels.

Electric company will literally charge for free power, energy usage would fall because the panels provide shade for the house, energy prices would stabilize as dependence on market rates for oil/gas/coal would be reduced, less pollution...

Other than opposition from oil/gas/coal companies I cannot understand why the electric companies are not pursuing this.

Nearly all homes in Israel have them for hot water. Hawaii has about half their homes with solar hot water.
sorry, the title said solar panels, not solar hot water heaters,

I had a solar hot water heater, only worked during the day, sadly after work things were simple luke warm.
And during winter, the solar hot water heater kept the water cold. That was in southern california.

I really dont care what you do with your money and your house.

sorry, the title said solar panels, not solar hot water heaters,

I had a solar hot water heater, only worked during the day, sadly after work things were simple luke warm.
And during winter, the solar hot water heater kept the water cold. That was in southern california.

I really dont care what you do with your money and your house.

I had plenty of hot water for a family of five . I did have a 90 gallon tank in the attic.

The EV car went too bulemic from the beginning. It was a "cake-and-eat-it-too" approach. To propel the body across the surface of the planet requires much less footprint than an EV car. Petroleum addiction will be a trucker's habit for some time to come. For the rest of us, weaning from this addiction may require an IQ above 80.

Forum List

Back