South Korea losing the Warthog

williepete

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2011
Troposphere
My old squadron is packing its bags. Budget cuts doing what the North Koreans couldn't.

US Commander in Korea: A-10 Warthog Will be Missed

The U.S. commander in South Korea on Friday praised the vital close air support role performed by the A-10 Thunderbolt in deterring North Korean aggression but backed the Air Force decision to retire the aircraft.

“As an infantryman, I love the A-10,” said Army Gen. Curtis “Mike” Scaparrotti, commander of U.S. Forces Korea and the Republic of Korea-U.S. Combined Forces Command.

“I also understand the Air Force’s position” on budgeting and the need for aircraft that can fill multiple roles, Scaparrotti said at a Pentagon briefing. ”I’m confident that I’ll get the close air support from the Air Force without the A-10 there,” Scaparrotti said of the aircraft better known as the “Warthog.”

US Commander in Korea A-10 Warthog Will be Missed DoD Buzz

• Banned
wztoSja.jpg

Logic dictates we have to stick with multi-role fighters for cost effectiveness. Got it.

Keepin' the A-10 Warthog flyin'...
cool.gif

New Wings for A-10 May Keep it Flying Past 2030: Air Force Secretary
30 Mar 2018 - Secretary Wilson said that new wings for the A-10 will keep the aircraft in the inventory for another dozen years.
Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson said Friday that new wings for the workhorse A-10 Thunderbolt will keep the close-air support aircraft in the inventory for another dozen years or more. Last week, Wilson told the House Armed Services Committee that funding for the re-winging of the A-10s in the fiscal year 2018 budget would keep the "Warthogs" flying at least to 2030.

a10-underside-2-1800.jpg

A U.S. Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt II pilot breaks right and releases flares over Afghanistan after completing aerial refueling operations with a KC-135 Stratotanker in support of Operation Freedom's Sentinel​

At an Air Force Association breakfast Friday, Wilson extended the potential retirement date for the A-10, whose first production model was delivered in 1975. She said the A-10s would remain in the fleet to 2030 "and possibly beyond."

Last year, the Air Force told Congress that 110 of the 283 A-10s in its fleet were in danger of being permanently grounded unless money was appropriated to re-wing them. The $1.3 trillion omnibus spending packaged signed by President Donald Trump last week included $103 million requested by the service for the re-winging.

New Wings for A-10 May Keep it Flying Past 2030: Air Force Secretary

wztoSja.jpg

Logic dictates we have to stick with multi-role fighters for cost effectiveness. Got it.

Replace the F-15C with the F-15E and get a huge surprise.

Let's take a look at your A-10 Claims.

CAS. As long as it's withing a 150 mile radius. That's pretty limiting. Meanwhile, the Buff doesn't really have a range. It can launch from the US, fly multiple CAS missions and land to refuel and head back to the US. The Buff is more likely to be used for CAS than the A-10. But the #1 CAS bird is the F-16 who can get the faster, get the job done and go home.

FAC. Once again, as long as it's within a 150 mile range. The Old OV-10 had more than a 500 mile radius with the same loiter time. In todays world, any AC can do FAC equally as well.

SCAR. Pick something, pick anything. All Fighters and Attack birds do this job. As well as Drones. Drones are doing this more and more each day.

AI. ? From an A-10? If he is in that type of fight, he's dead. Almost any Fighter will take him out on the first run. This is really a pipe dream.

CSAR. Yes, as long as it's within a 150 mile radius. Not real promising for those in a bad way at 250 miles. They ONLY reason the OA-10 exists is that they are constantly trying to find missions for an ac that really doesn't have a real mission anymore. The Mission it was designed to do it can no longer do. If it were to go up against Russian Armor in East Europe, it would be blown out of the sky.

AM. Yah, sure. As long as it's within 150 mile radius. Better leave that to the P-3s and P-8s and scores of Choppers who do it for a living. Another far reaching brag that won't ever happen.

Now, the F-15E can do and does do everything you claim your mystical A-10 can do. And he can do it better and does to it better.

”I’m confident that I’ll get the close air support from the Air Force without the A-10 there,” Scaparrotti said of the aircraft better known as the “Warthog.”
It's kind of funny, a quote like this will be immediately dismissed as propaganda since it doesn't fit the ridiculous narrative that troops on the ground have a strong preference for one aircraft over the other.

They want an accurate bomb dropped on where the bad guys are, period. Whether it's a B-1, A-10, KC-130J, F-18, etc.

Forum List

Back