Speaking of bullies

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Do you guys ever get "hurt" when reading attacks against yourself? Words said by someone who doesn't even know you except for the opinions you give or chatting with others here or other places on the net? Or are you like a duck and it just slides off your back like water off a duck?

Words do hurt. But are those who feel the pain of them stupid to feel that way?

I see personal attacks as an admission by the attacker that they've lost the argument and no longer belong in the discussion. I pity people who routinely resort to it because you just know that they don't have any friends and have some serious self-esteem issues to deal with, don't you?

Last edited:
Do you guys ever get "hurt" when reading attacks against yourself? Words said by someone who doesn't even know you except for the opinions you give or chatting with others here or other places on the net? Or are you like a duck and it just slides off your back like water off a duck?

It only hurts if it is someone I care about. Otherwise, I take note of who is saying it and give it the proper credence. Which is to say, none.

Bullies will always be bullies.
They are the same people who bullied everyone in High School. They never grow up and they never see that they have a very deep seated psychological problems.
Acting out is more likely to get noticed than behaving oneself civilly and courteously. Jealousy or envy and a lack of personal and social skills to deal with such feelings can also be reasons why people bully.
It also has a lot to do with being in power.
I feel sorry for them, because they can't deal with reality.

On a conscious level those attacks ought not to upset us.

However, they often do upset some of us as is evident by the bitchfests that people get into here.

AT an unconscious level negative comments DO have a negative effect and that is true regardless of how sure we are about ourselves and our POVs.

If somebody spews nothing but toxic ad hominems its probably adviseable (for you and the rest of the board) to just out those sick folks on IGNORE.

There are a lot of sickos online who gewt off on hurting people's feelings.

Don't feed those sadists, put them on ignore and move on with people who are not sick.

I'm retired military. It's pretty hard to hurt my feelings.

Sometimes it feels like civilians are little soap bubbles. Their feelings pop way too easily.

Thicken your skin. Your feelings can only be hurt if you believe the insult is true. If the insult actually is true, you can only be hurt if the truth about yourself bothers you.

In the military, we attacked each others weaknesses so that we could fix them.

The defenseless man is invulnerable.

Last edited:
Folks around here go pretty easy on me, even the Libs. Lord knows I deserve a good brow beating from time to time LOL.

There's the occasional snarky remark but it ain't no thang.

"Water off a duck's back". I heard that a LOT when growing up. That, and "you better have a sense of humor in life, or you're sunk."

Are my feelings ever hurt? No, but if I feel that a line has been crossed, I will say something and if they can't take what I give back to them, they shouldn't throw anything into my direction to begin with.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

On a conscious level those attacks ought not to upset us.

However, they often do upset some of us as is evident by the bitchfests that people get into here.

AT an unconscious level negative comments DO have a negative effect and that is true regardless of how sure we are about ourselves and our POVs.

If somebody spews nothing but toxic ad hominems its probably adviseable (for you and the rest of the board) to just out those sick folks on IGNORE.

There are a lot of sickos online who gewt off on hurting people's feelings.

Don't feed those sadists, put them on ignore and move on with people who are not sick.
Exactly why I have an extensive ignore list.

Forum List

Back