‘Squad’ Member Pressley: Prioritize Prisoners For Vaccine; Medical Community Exacted ‘Medical Apartheid On Black Americans’

It actually makes a lot of sense considering the atmosphere of correctional facilities where social distancing between officers and inmates isn't possible
You know me, independent hard ass, so you will not be surprised that I do not favor priority for the incarcerated. People of all races and creeds should prioritize behavior that will not get them incarcerated. If you choose the quick way up the mountain and fall, making subject to injury or death, while laying there, hard to imagine not thinking "maybe should have chosen to stay on the safer trail up that hill". Choices suck when you make the wrong one. Just saying,...:dunno:

Not all choices deserve the death penalty though. When you incarcerate someone (and frankly far more end up icarcerated than should be because it is an industry), you assume a responsibility for their basic needs since you have removed the opportunity for them to do so. On a more practical stand point, in a close confined situation like that it can be very expensive to treat those that become sick and impossible to isolate them, and protective gear is often not provided. IMO, any large group facility that can not accommodate basic preventative measures or contains a particularly vulnerable population should be prioritized.
Well, yours is better, though we both know covid is not an automatic death sentence, although no picnic, I assure you. Understand it is a responsibility and yes, you are even talking logically to hard asses when you talk about the money to treat if allowed to get sick (you did that on purpose thinking you got my number) and it does make more sense than opening up the cell doors and letting them free.
A priority, yes. How far down is not for me to say, thankfully. Definitely Guards and staff first.

It actually makes a lot of sense considering the atmosphere of correctional facilities where social distancing between officers and inmates isn't possible
You know me, independent hard ass, so you will not be surprised that I do not favor priority for the incarcerated. People of all races and creeds should prioritize behavior that will not get them incarcerated. If you choose the quick way up the mountain and fall, making subject to injury or death, while laying there, hard to imagine not thinking "maybe should have chosen to stay on the safer trail up that hill". Choices suck when you make the wrong one. Just saying,...:dunno:

Not all choices deserve the death penalty though. When you incarcerate someone (and frankly far more end up icarcerated than should be because it is an industry), you assume a responsibility for their basic needs since you have removed the opportunity for them to do so. On a more practical stand point, in a close confined situation like that it can be very expensive to treat those that become sick and impossible to isolate them, and protective gear is often not provided. IMO, any large group facility that can not accommodate basic preventative measures or contains a particularly vulnerable population should be prioritized.

seems to me that you have not been INSIDE a whole lot of prisons. Perhaps you have an image of USA prisons as something like Medieval DUNGEONS with
scores of people chained up inside small dark places--or CHAIN GANGS. -----it ain't so. -----their are small---INDIVIDUAL cells----with usually two---or even one person per cell-----and a sink and a toilet

We have a federal cluster of prisons five miles from me. They are not small facilities. The high security penitentiary holds 2003. As you point out cells are small. Unless you keep everyone segregated In lockdown, and have a good ventilation system...how will you keep an airborn infectious disease from spreading? So far, prisons have not been successful.

keep them in the cells MOST of the time. Impose
sanitary rules of the same type people LIVING in families observe-----"EVERYBODY IN LOCK DOWN"----is that what people living in an apartment with ten others do? There is no need-----the only people who need to be locked down in INDIVIDUAL cells are those who are either sick or newly positive----for a while---ie a quarantine period. A very similar issue exists in the military. Somehow---my very own son SURVIVED living in a submarine with less space between sailors than there is between prisoners ----uhm ---my father survived a small ship in the North Atlantic for
many months I survived a small house with four brothers. Good ventilation is nice and not hard to do---in fact the prisons probably already have it. I survived working in hospitals----even during outbreaks of TORCH sicknesses during my own pregnancy. In jails----just make sure that the boys and the girls are segregated-----very difficult in the military and try to
get the shivs and shanks out of the hands of the poor innocent criminals

seems to me that you have not been INSIDE a whole lot of prisons. Perhaps you have an image of USA prisons as something like Medieval DUNGEONS with
scores of people chained up inside small dark places--or CHAIN GANGS. -----it ain't so. -----their are small---INDIVIDUAL cells----with usually two---or even one person per cell-----and a sink and a toilet

We have a federal cluster of prisons five miles from me. They are not small facilities. The high security penitentiary holds 2003. As you point out cells are small. Unless you keep everyone segregated In lockdown, and have a good ventilation system...how will you keep an airborn infectious disease from spreading? So far, prisons have not been successful.

sanitary rules of the same type people LIVING in families observe-----"EVERYBODY IN LOCK DOWN"----is that what people living in an apartment with ten others do? There is no need-----the only people who need to be locked down in INDIVIDUAL cells are those who are either sick or newly positive----for a while---ie a quarantine period. A very similar issue exists in the military. Somehow---my very own son SURVIVED living in a submarine with less space between sailors than there is between prisoners ----uhm ---my father survived a small ship in the North Atlantic for
many months I survived a small house with four brothers. Good ventilation is nice and not hard to do---in fact the prisons probably already have it. I survived working in hospitals----even during outbreaks of TORCH sicknesses during my own pregnancy. In jails----just make sure that the boys and the girls are segregated-----very difficult in the military and try to

...what happens if you keep people in close confinement, with little to do, no activity to burn off emotions, little social contact ... add to that lots of pent up violence, poor impulse control, way too much testosterone...and panic over a virus.

All the situati9 s that you describe have an element of choice and control that prisoners don’t have.

Well, yours is better, though we both know covid is not an automatic death sentence, although no picnic, I assure you. Understand it is a responsibility and yes, you are even talking logically to hard asses when you talk about the money to treat if allowed to get sick (you did that on purpose thinking you got my number) and it does make more sense than opening up the cell doors and letting them free.
A priority, yes. How far down is not for me to say, thankfully. Definitely Guards and staff first.

^^^^^^
an important point------how well does that covid stat compare with the stat involving

...what happens if you keep people in close confinement, with little to do, no activity to burn off emotions, little social contact ... add to that lots of pent up violence, poor impulse control, way too much testosterone...and panic over a virus.

All the situati9 s that you describe have an element of choice and control that prisoners don’t have.

you haven't visited a whole lot of prisons----and have a kind of concept of "SOLITARY IN THE HOLE" In most prisons there AIN'T no solitary. Solitary means a separate cell-----separated from the next guy over by BARS-------not walls-------and the guys across the aisle by ----??? maybe 8 feet. Prisoners are close enough to get up a game of chess. Prisoners have LOTS OF CHOICES-------the problem is the choices that they make. -------of course a prisoner MIGHT NOT LIKE his "next bar neighbor" <<< that is a problem-----just keep a watchout for those shivs and shanks

You did better answering me. This time you are very close to emotional concerns of how much it sucks to be there. As I first stated before you used Coyote logic, they chose poorly and so it sucks to be where they are. Or is this how you respond figuring you got irosie's number? Playing shoot the ducks tonight?

You did better answering me. This time you are very close to emotional concerns of how much it sucks to be there. As I first stated before you used Coyote logic, they chose poorly and so it sucks to be where they are. Or is this how you respond figuring you got irosie's number? Playing shoot the ducks tonight?

emotional concerns IMHO-------are not "lack of
human contact in jail" It's more like "lack of privacy"
There are things to do----especially if the convict likes to read or just TALK MOST IMPORTANT just the realization------"I AM
LOCKED UP" is far more important than boredom

emotional concerns IMHO-------are not "lack of
human contact in jail" It's more like "lack of privacy"
There are things to do----especially if the convict likes to read or just TALK MOST IMPORTANT just the realization------"I AM
LOCKED UP" is far more important than boredom
I'll be darned. She did have your number.

not possible? why not?

Seriously?

yes. Prisoners need not MINGLE---and they can wear face masks as can officers when they confront
prisoners. Prisoner social distancing would be no more inconvenient than social distancing for you and
me

Wow...Lets see.

2900 prisoners in some prisons. Six rec yards. How would you run recreation for 2,900 prisoners?

2900 prisoners in some prisons. 18 showers. How would you run showers for 2,900 prisoners?

2900 prisoners in some prisons. Two chow halls for gen pop. How are you going to run chow for 2,900 prisoners.

And we haven't gotten to parole hearings, two officer escorts, visitation, etc...

You haven't been inside a whole lot of prisons either. Who says you have to let the whole population out at the same time for rec? who says you can't distance tables and rotate meal times or EAT IN THE CELL---like happens in lots of prisons via tray thru a slot? Officer escorts to parole hearing would be no different from SUPERMARKET shopping rules now in effect

They don't let the whole population out at the same time now and you customarily have 50-100 inmates on the yard at any one time.

You don't seem to understand general population.
1608694681684.png

Please tell us how you'd run rec with what I described above. Please tell us how you'd run chow, showers....
Show your math.

not possible? why not?

Seriously?

yes. Prisoners need not MINGLE---and they can wear face masks as can officers when they confront
prisoners. Prisoner social distancing would be no more inconvenient than social distancing for you and
me

Wow...Lets see.

2900 prisoners in some prisons. Six rec yards. How would you run recreation for 2,900 prisoners?

2900 prisoners in some prisons. 18 showers. How would you run showers for 2,900 prisoners?

2900 prisoners in some prisons. Two chow halls for gen pop. How are you going to run chow for 2,900 prisoners.

And we haven't gotten to parole hearings, two officer escorts, visitation, etc...

You haven't been inside a whole lot of prisons either. Who says you have to let the whole population out at the same time for rec? who says you can't distance tables and rotate meal times or EAT IN THE CELL---like happens in lots of prisons via tray thru a slot? Officer escorts to parole hearing would be no different from SUPERMARKET shopping rules now in effect

They don't let the whole population out at the same time now and you customarily have 50-100 inmates on the yard at any one time.

View attachment 432481

Please tell us how you'd run rec with what I described above. Please tell us how you'd run chow, showers....
Show your math.

alternating groups, strict personal hygiene and staggered times thruout the whole day and THRUOUT THE WEEK. The problem is much more dire on a ship out to sea------or even worse---A SUBMARINE. Believe it or not-----the strict ENVIRONMENT hygiene
part (as in sterile dishes and linens is more important than ping-pong time ) Corona is not the first virus
invented and in epidemics there are always MUTATORS and always a DANGER. Also ----watch for shivs and shanks

not possible? why not?

Seriously?

me

Wow...Lets see.

View attachment 432481

Show your math.

alternating groups, strict personal hygiene and staggered times thruout the whole day and THRUOUT THE WEEK. The problem is much more dire on a ship out to sea------or even worse---A SUBMARINE. Believe it or not-----the strict ENVIRONMENT hygiene
part (as in sterile dishes and linens is more important than ping-pong time ) Corona is not the first virus
invented and in epidemics there are always MUTATORS and always a DANGER. Also ----watch for shivs and shanks

As you can't show the math I'm sure you realize that your proposal of feeding inmates through a slot in the door--there isn't always a door for one thing--is simply a non-starter. You going to run rec at 3AM? Not sure what shivs and shanks have to do with disease mitigation but there is more danger at 3AM than 3PM on the basketball court.

Hello. Keeping it 100% REAL, Factual & Respectful...No Hate.

Will Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley, a member in good standing with America's large divisive, Intra-Racial Discrimination and Hate practicing Democratic Party, demand America's Medical Community develop a vaccine for preventing American kids and teens of African descent from *SUFFERING, THRU NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN,* our Nation's highest rates of Child Neglect, Abuse & Maltreatment?

https://www.firststar.org/black-children-have-highest-abuse-rates/ by BlackVoiceNews

Witness Early Brain Child Development SCIENTIST, Dr. Bruce D. Perry MD, PhD, spills the beans to Childhood Trauma (ACEs) victim Oprah Winfrey about how Childhood Trauma affects ADULT MENTAL HEALTH:

D_lAp2KWkAArMvB.jpg
end-intra-racial-discrimination-protest.jpg
EMcX3G6XkAIjMOD.jpg

☮♥ EndHate

Yes, but criminals lives shouldn't matter more than non-criminals lives. How about vaccinate the guards and screw the prisoners. They should be last---the very last to get the vaccine as they should be the very least valuable human beings.

Yes, but criminals lives shouldn't matter more than non-criminals lives. How about vaccinate the guards and screw the prisoners. They should be last---the very last to get the vaccine as they should be the very least valuable human beings.

Sort of a dumb darwinian position but I am not surprised.

They shouldn’t matter more but the should matter the same.

Not sure what your criticism is...but there is a certain reality here that has nothing to do with “emotion”. Prisons are violent places, for a variety of reasons. People complain about stuff like how come we give them television. Outlets, like the ability to exercise, Watch tv, get educated, provide a safety release for what might otherwise become violence and that is dangerous not just for fellow prisoners but those who work there.

If you are proposing solitary confinement to ride out the virus, then that frankly, is torture. Poor choices run the gamut from simple drug possession to mass murder. That means they need to serve a sentence. It doesn’t mean their lives are any less than another’s, it means they have lost their freedom and must pay restitution.

From a practical standpoint it makes sense to vaccinate prisoners. There are frequent movements of people in and out all the time and a base population that is closely confined.

Not sure what your criticism is...but there is a certain reality here that has nothing to do with “emotion”. Prisons are violent places, for a variety of reasons. People complain about stuff like how come we give them television. Outlets, like the ability to exercise, Watch tv, get educated, provide a safety release for what might otherwise become violence and that is dangerous not just for fellow prisoners but those who work there.

If you are proposing solitary confinement to ride out the virus, then that frankly, is torture. Poor choices run the gamut from simple drug possession to mass murder. That means they need to serve a sentence. It doesn’t mean their lives are any less than another’s, it means they have lost their freedom and must pay restitution.

From a practical standpoint it makes sense to vaccinate prisoners. There are frequent movements of people in and out all the time and a base population that is closely confined.

solitary confinement? I am a citizen---not in jail.
I am CLOSELY CONFINED in a tiny efficiency style
apartment. There are frequent movements of people
in my tiny residence. I observe precautions and am NOT IN SOLITARY CONFINEMENT. I even remain
UNVACCINATED ----at this point. Hubby and I live in
an area of high infection rate and SOMEHOW we manage to stay alive

Its also not practical. A great many prisoners are housed in what are called dormitory housing. Imagine an office secretarial pool with hundreds of cubicles. That is offender housing in some cases.

Social distancing between correctional officers and prisoners is not feasible so those officers pose a risk when off duty and going home, so makes sense.
Well, if you vaccinate all prison personnel, that is a way to mitigate it. But...

*prison is a dynamic environment. Deliveries are made each day. Prisoners often unload them. The truck driver bringing in the load may not have been vaccinated. Ditto for lawyers, clergy, etc.... Then there is visitation on top of that

*the sentence is confinement for a definite amount of time. Providing safe and secure housing is part of the deal. Look up Ruiz v. Estelle if you don't think it is.

*I don't think prisoners should be at the front of the line but there is a communal aspect to it much like the military. Just like you wouldn't start whistling while on an ambush or making noise to give away your defensive position because it could get everyone with you wiped out, prisoners don't have a choice to just stay away from a guy known to be infected but doesn't trust medical science and won't seek help.

They shouldn’t matter more but the should matter the same.
No they shouldn't matter the same either......a rapist does not have the same value as a 3 year old child or 40 year old doctor......from a strickly rational point of view.

Forum List

Back