Stranded German tourist lost in Australian Outback survived by eating FLIES

Jughead

VIP Member
Oct 24, 2013
Hamburger Central
A German tourist missing in the Australian Outback survived by eating flies after becoming lost and stranded by floodwaters.

Daniel Dudzisz was picked up by a motorist late on Thursday near the township of Windorah in Queensland state, Police Inspector Mark Henderson told Australian Broadcasting Corp.

The 26-year-old insulin-dependent diabetic had last been seen on February 17 when he left Windorah to walk 77 kilometres (48 miles) north across rugged terrain to the settlement of Jundah.

Insp Henderson said Mr Dudzisz became stranded by floodwaters for about 10 days and lived on insects for most of the time he was lost.

He said Mr Dudzisz refused medical treatment at Windorah and was determined to continue his trek.

Stranded German tourist lost in Australian Outback survived by eating FLIES for 10 days - Mirror Online

He's definitely an outdoorsman, that's what kept him alive. The average person would have panicked. Also, eating bugs is no big deal, there are stores across the country that sell edible bugs (I'm not sure about flies though). We all eat bugs, most of the time without realizing it. For instance the average person will consume 4 spiders per year in their sleep. Not to mention bugs (like flies) that are found in some of our processed foods (like cereal).

I though so too at first, however it appears that for some people, the risk is almost zero, for others, the probability is there. If one sleeps with an open mouth, then chances are you will swallow some spiders.

Humans do not swallow spiders in their sleep as a matter of daily occurrence though that probability is there if they sleep with their mouth open. Some spiders when swallowed are harmless such as funnel web grass spiders.

Do We Swallow Spiders in Our Sleep? - Ask.com

A German tourist missing in the Australian Outback survived by eating flies after becoming lost and stranded by floodwaters.

Daniel Dudzisz was picked up by a motorist late on Thursday near the township of Windorah in Queensland state, Police Inspector Mark Henderson told Australian Broadcasting Corp.

The 26-year-old insulin-dependent diabetic had last been seen on February 17 when he left Windorah to walk 77 kilometres (48 miles) north across rugged terrain to the settlement of Jundah.

Insp Henderson said Mr Dudzisz became stranded by floodwaters for about 10 days and lived on insects for most of the time he was lost.

He said Mr Dudzisz refused medical treatment at Windorah and was determined to continue his trek.

Stranded German tourist lost in Australian Outback survived by eating FLIES for 10 days - Mirror Online

He's definitely an outdoorsman, that's what kept him alive. The average person would have panicked. Also, eating bugs is no big deal, there are stores across the country that sell edible bugs (I'm not sure about flies though). We all eat bugs, most of the time without realizing it. For instance the average person will consume 4 spiders per year in their sleep. Not to mention bugs (like flies) that are found in some of our processed foods (like cereal).

Objections and reluctance to eat insects is purely psychological. It's actually quite good for us. And in a survival situation you eat whatever you can. People trapped in collapsed buildings have survived several days drinking their own urine. Recall a recent case where a family was trapped after an earthquake collapsed their home or some building they were in. The father made his kids drink their urine to survive, the mother refused and died. Father and kids survived.

We're very squeamish about our own bodies compared to other countries. Just noticed with some annoyance last night watching a South Park episode "Something Wicked This Wal-Mart Comes" or whatever. Scene where a guy blows his brains out is shown uncensored, but when he then vacated his bowels they blacked out the entire screen and showed text reading "Here the man craps his pants. - Comedy Central censored this for your protection." or something to that effect. So showing a guy blowing his brains out is safe, but pooping your pants needs to be censored? Fuck this country. :)

Never knowingly eaten a bug. But in my 14 years here I've had at least 3 brown recluse spider bites on my face presumedly while I slept, but never found their bodies...So maybe I ate them. :) Have tried my own urine to see what all the fuss was about. Flat distilled taste but if I was gonna die of dehydration otherwise, I'd come to like it I'm sure. Worth noting, if you have a means to do so, you can actually ingest your urine or other water into your rectum to survive. Through the rectum things are absorbed more directly into our body (why ya shouldn't use hand creams and lotions as anal lubricant unless formulated for that since it'll be absorbed into your bloodstream.) One of the survival series showed the host doing it on a raft via hose to get hydrated. His line of "think of England" made me crackup :)

And if ya have athlete's foot, nothing's better for it than your urine for the trace amount of ammonia. 95% water though, why you can drink it if you have to to. Part of your body already, you're just moving it around :)

It's easy to speculate on a full belly but I think it would take more than 10 days before I started popping flies like raisens. You can fast for longer, water is the important thing. All that water and no fish? And no animals or reptiles? I think I could stomach a roasted snake or something. Seems wierd to me.

Edible bugs and juicy larvae of butterfiles are one thing but flies eat shit and dead decayed matter. The rule of threes in survival is pretty accurate. You can live without air for 3 minutes, water for about three days and food for about three weeks.

Forum List

Back