Taking Troubling Trolls To Task

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you please explain what "doxxing" means, Marion Morrison?

I have never heard that word.

Thank you.
Digging up your private personal information and posting it. Up to and including sending your online activity to employers, and customers.

OP comes here talking about doxxing people for trolling? :cuckoo:

While trolling may be somewhat against the rules, doxxing is absolutely against the rules, it's also illegal and can lead to civil and criminal penalties.

That is why I predict that some day the matter will end up in court and the legislators will decide that anonymity is no longer legal. Those who initiate board fights are doing the equivalent of an illegal act just as doxing them would be.

I pointed out to one poster that was trolling me he would be in violation of the law if what he were saying to me was face to face. It makes no legal sense that people should be able to do so via anonymous discussion board personas.

While trolling may be somewhat against the rules, doxxing is absolutely against the rules, it's also illegal and can lead to civil and criminal penalties.

That is why I predict that some day the matter will end up in court and the legislators will decide that anonymity is no longer legal. Those who initiate board fights are doing the equivalent of an illegal act just as doxing them would be.

I pointed out to one poster that was trolling me he would be in violation of the law if what he were saying to me was face to face. It makes no legal sense that people should be able to do so via anonymous discussion board personas.

Well aren't you just the nutty little Authoritarian?

Seems to me you'd like teh internets in Red China.

Well aren't you just the little nutty Authoritarian?

OMG. Authoritarian for not liking trolls? That's sick.

Well aren't you just the little nutty Authoritarian?

OMG. Authoritarian for not liking trolls? That's sick.
No no no, don't deflect.

I stated my case. The examples show the need for the regulation of the professional trolls. The people who log on these sites every day just to start crap with other posters is prima facie evidence for establishing the facts in the OP.

Takes one to know one. Balls in your face, troll.
You sound more like a nazi than a fag. You want to government to stop free speech because you are a cry baby. How did they get your info? None of mine is here, except maybe my actual name and I don't really care if it shows up.

If you were not a troll, that is commentary you would have taken to PM. Had you just made those comments to my face where I live, you would have just committed a crime.

Posting someone else’s personal information goes beyond trolling and such a person should be banned. Trolling should be handled by the board moderators per the rules (which usually give the mods some discretion).

You sound more like a nazi than a fag. You want to government to stop free speech because you are a cry baby. How did they get your info? None of mine is here, except maybe my actual name and I don't really care if it shows up.

If you were not a troll, that is commentary you would have taken to PM. Had you just made those comments to my face where I live, you would have just committed a crime.
Where do you live? What MikeTX said would not be a crime where I live.

As a computer-illiterate senior citizen, I have never understood the term "troll."

The OP gave a definition of someone who posts "offensive" material.

I do not understand that definition.

If A says that she likes to jog, and B says that he thinks jogging is crazy, then I guess that A could find B's comment "offensive." Does that make B a troll?

I thought that a forum was a place where people can freely express their honest views (in a civil manner, of course).

If everyone has the same point of view, then what is the purpose of a forum?

Now imagine that you are the one that like jogging and that person that thinks it is crazy, now calls you a vile name for liking jogging, and a chorus of slack jawed drooling morons join in making similar attacks all the time while you are trying to actually discuss shit with actual people.

Trolls, do NOT express their honest views in a civil manner. They are the exact opposite of that.

Posting someone else’s personal information goes beyond trolling and such a person should be banned. Trolling should be handled by the board moderators per the rules (which usually give the mods some discretion).

Should be does not necessarily mean that results in mods enforcing the rules or issuing bans for the violations. If they did counsel individual posters and then follow up, trolling would not be a problem. Case in point:

Did you see the poster that insinuates I'm a fag just because he didn't like the OP? The trolls are spineless creeps that start crap they don't have the guts or brains to do one on one. Why should a board provide them a forum to attempt to intimidate people they would never say that to in person?

I stated my case. The examples show the need for the regulation of the professional trolls. The people who log on these sites every day just to start crap with other posters is prima facie evidence for establishing the facts in the OP.

Translation: A troll hurt my butt, so I want the government to step in and STOP THESE TROLLS!

iu

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Where do you live? What MikeTX said would not be a crime where I live.
Agree. It would just be rude or truthful and perhaps trouble making, etc.

OH! That's what a "troll" is!

Have you ever noticed that a fair number of new members don't even make it to triple digits in posts before they become a memory?
Some of them likey get scared away by the trolls. Otherws are just busy. Took me two or three years to get to triple digit posts. Most of them were in the past couple months when I had time.

Takes one to know one, don't it? Are you a nazi? It's obvious you like balls in your face - you are known by the company you keep.
No it doesn't take one to to know one. What it takes is someone who recognizes that being free comes with risk and responsibility, not crying for the government to protect you from bad words and people who make you cry.

Translation: A troll hurt my butt, so I want the government to step in and STOP THESE TROLLS!

iu

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Benjamin Franklin

Personally, I don't need the government. I think if you have something to say to me, you should have the intestinal courage to say it to my face. Discussion boards should be for discussing issues, NOT providing you a safe space to do anonymous acts that are the equivalent of crimes.

You got a problem with someone? Take it up with them face to face and leave the rest of America out of your personal problems.

iu

Benjamin Franklin

Personally, I don't need the government. I think if you have something to say to me, you should have the intestinal to say it to my face. Discussion boards should be for discussing issues, NOT providing you a safe space to do anonymous acts that are the equivalent of crimes.

You got a problem with someone? Take it up with them face to face and leave the rest of America out of your personal problems.
He says he doesn't need the government yet posts he wants the government to regulate message boards.

mommy-when-i-grow-up-i-wanna-be-a-liberal.jpg

Should be does not necessarily mean that results in mods enforcing the rules or issuing bans for the violations. If they did counsel individual posters and then follow up, trolling would not be a problem. Case in point:

Did you see the poster that insinuates I'm a fag just because he didn't like the OP? The trolls are spineless creeps that start crap they don't have the guts or brains to do one on one. Why should a board provide them a forum to attempt to intimidate people they would never say that to in person?
I am a member of a fishing forum in which such a poster would be banned. Obviously this forum allows it. We have the freedom to participate or not participate in such forums. The mother of a friend of mine would often say “When you are in my house you have to abide by my rules.”

Doxxing should never happen on a board. Unfortunately it does.

Here? It's strongly a no-no here.

To Humorme: Don't give out your personal information on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back