Text-driver SUES Apple over a fatal car crash he caused!!!

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
The psychopath who caused the crash is suing!!! Cell phones should be banned from the passenger compartment of all vehicles.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...le-over-a-fatal-car.html?ana=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

dec 30 2016 A distracted driver has sued Apple over a fatal car crash involving FaceTime.

The plaintiff filed suit in a California court in early December in regards to a road accident that occurred on Christmas Eve in 2014. The driver was " distracted while using the 'FaceTime' application on an iPhone 6 Plus during the operation of his motor vehicle," and hit the back of a stationary vehicle while going 65 miles per hour, per the court documents obtained by AppleInsider.

Bethany and James Modisette were the two adults in the vehicle along with their two children — Isabella and Moriah. The whole family sustained serious injuries, but 5-year-old Moriah died of her injuries in the hospital.

Apple was sued for not implementing a technology that could have prevented the driver from using the app while driving. The Cupertino-based company applied for the patent on the technology in 2008 and it was granted in 2014, but Apple had not implemented the block at the time of the crash. The technology would have locked “out the ability of drivers to use the 'FaceTime' application on the Apple iPhone while using a motor vehicle," per the court filings.

Since Apple did not employ the tech, the plaintiff is accusing Apple of contributing to the injuries of the family and the death of the child.

Some other articles i've read on this indicate it's the parents of the dead girl who are suing. I don't know what to believe.

The psychopath who caused the crash is suing!!! Cell phones should be banned from the passenger compartment of all vehicles.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...le-over-a-fatal-car.html?ana=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

dec 30 2016 A distracted driver has sued Apple over a fatal car crash involving FaceTime.

The plaintiff filed suit in a California court in early December in regards to a road accident that occurred on Christmas Eve in 2014. The driver was " distracted while using the 'FaceTime' application on an iPhone 6 Plus during the operation of his motor vehicle," and hit the back of a stationary vehicle while going 65 miles per hour, per the court documents obtained by AppleInsider.

Bethany and James Modisette were the two adults in the vehicle along with their two children — Isabella and Moriah. The whole family sustained serious injuries, but 5-year-old Moriah died of her injuries in the hospital.

Apple was sued for not implementing a technology that could have prevented the driver from using the app while driving. The Cupertino-based company applied for the patent on the technology in 2008 and it was granted in 2014, but Apple had not implemented the block at the time of the crash. The technology would have locked “out the ability of drivers to use the 'FaceTime' application on the Apple iPhone while using a motor vehicle," per the court filings.

Since Apple did not employ the tech, the plaintiff is accusing Apple of contributing to the injuries of the family and the death of the child.

Maybe so many people are overly vaccinated and that's why we have so many idiots. -)

upload_2016-12-30_22-49-55.png

How could a person who causes the crash have the ability to sue anyone in the first place when they should be sitting in a jail cell, especially if their cell phone usage is what created the mess?

God bless you and the victim's family always!!!

Holly

In a rational society, this man would be forced to climb the stairs of a cathedral on his hands and knees while wearing a sackcloth and covered with ashes. He would beat his breast three times at each step, and yell out for all to hear, "My fault, my fault, my grievous fault!"

He would then spend the next 24 hours adoring the Blessed Sacrament and praying God to forgive him of his sin while whipping his own back with a whip.

But in our society, he sues and makes millions.

^^^ I agree that in our society, people sue, but will this guy make millions? I won't be surprised if he doesn't because he wasn't being forced by anyone at that company to be on the phone while driving in the first place.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

You'd think that would be a good excuse, but folks have won suing people for falling on their property without invitation/being forced -- businesses and personal homes alike.

Another case supporting the idea that we should adopt a "loser pays" approach to lawsuits. It won't fix everything that's less than ideal with our litigious system, but it would certainly help suppress bullshit lawsuits like this one.

The Dems will not allow this of course. Stated better, the lawyers who have Dems in their back pocket will not allow this. Too lucrative.

Well you can flip a "slanderous suit" counter claim, you can also almost always request that the loser pay the lawyer fees as well.

Forum List

Back