The Balfour Declaration (1917) and the creation of Israel

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
The Balfour Declaration was a statement made by the British government during WW1 to gain Jewish political support for the war and financial support from the Rothschild bankers. At the time, the war was going badly for the UK and its government was worried about insolvency from its mounting war debts. The Declaration announced British support for the establishment of a "national homeland for the Jewish people" in Palestine, which was then part of the Ottoman Empire (allied with Germany).

After that war ended, Britain seized control of Palestine and encouraged Jewish immigration and land purchases. This led to escalating conflicts between existing Arab and new Jewish residents, culminating in a civil war between them in 1947. In 1948, the British abandoned their mandate over Palestine and a new Jewish state of Israel was declared. The neighboring Arab states opposed this action and invaded Palestine in the First Arab-Israeli War. Israel won that war in 1949 and increased its territory. And the beat goes on...

The Balfour Declaration was a statement made by the British government during WW1 to gain Jewish political support for the war and financial support from the Rothschild bankers. At the time, the war was going badly for the UK and its government was worried about insolvency from its mounting war debts. The Declaration announced British support for the establishment of a "national homeland for the Jewish people" in Palestine, which was then part of the Ottoman Empire (allied with Germany).

After that war ended, Britain seized control of Palestine and encouraged Jewish immigration and land purchases. This led to escalating conflicts between existing Arab and new Jewish residents, culminating in a civil war between them in 1947. In 1948, the British abandoned their mandate over Palestine and a new Jewish state of Israel was declared. The neighboring Arab states opposed this action and invaded Palestine in the First Arab-Israeli War. Israel won that war in 1949 and increased its territory. And the beat goes on...
Two days later in 1948 the settlers started taking the land from the Arabs.

Not that I care about what happened 70 years ago but here is the truth about after the war in that region...
Its still the Muslims that can't live along side of Jews and to me in 2023 that's just unacceptable... bigotry must be stomped out and it must be stomped out everywhere it exists.... Why are Muslims the only people allowed to be bigots?... I will never understand that...

Britain took control of the area known as Palestine following the defeat of the Ottoman Empire, which ruled that part of the Middle East, in World War One.

The land was inhabited by a Jewish minority and Arab majority, as well as other, smaller ethnic groups.

Tensions between the two peoples grew when the international community gave the UK the task of establishing a "national home" in Palestine for Jewish people.

This stemmed from the Balfour Declaration of 1917, a pledge made by then Foreign Secretary Arthur Balfour to Britain's Jewish community.

The declaration was enshrined in the British mandate over Palestine and endorsed by the newly-created League of Nations - forerunner of the United Nations - in 1922.

To Jews Palestine was their ancestral home, but Palestinian Arabs also claimed the land and opposed the move.

Last edited:

The McMahon–Hussein Correspondence[a] is a series of letters that were exchanged during World War I in which the Government of the United Kingdom agreed to recognize Arab independence in a large region after the war in exchange for the Sharif of Meccalaunching the Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire.[3][4] The correspondence had a significant influence on Middle Eastern history during and after the war; a dispute over Palestine continued thereafter.[b

Following the publication of the November 1917 Balfour Declaration (a letter written by British Foreign Secretary Arthur James Balfour to Baron Rothschild, which promised a national home for the Jews in Palestine, and the subsequent leaking of the secret 1916 Sykes–Picot Agreement in which Britain and France proposed to split and occupy parts of the territory, the Sharif and other Arab leaders considered the agreements made in the McMahon–Hussein Correspondence violated. Hussein refused to ratify the 1919 Treaty of Versailles.

A further British attempt to reach a treaty failed in 1923–24, with negotiations suspended in March 1924;[11] within six months, the British withdrew their support in favour of their central Arabian ally Ibn Saud, who proceeded to conquer Hussein's kingdom.[12]

The correspondence "haunted Anglo-Arab relations" for many decades thereafter

The McMahon–Hussein Correspondence[a] is a series of letters that were exchanged during World War I in which the Government of the United Kingdom agreed to recognize Arab independence in a large region after the war in exchange for the Sharif of Meccalaunching the Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire.[3][4] The correspondence had a significant influence on Middle Eastern history during and after the war; a dispute over Palestine continued thereafter.[b

Following the publication of the November 1917 Balfour Declaration (a letter written by British Foreign Secretary Arthur James Balfour to Baron Rothschild, which promised a national home for the Jews in Palestine, and the subsequent leaking of the secret 1916 Sykes–Picot Agreement in which Britain and France proposed to split and occupy parts of the territory, the Sharif and other Arab leaders considered the agreements made in the McMahon–Hussein Correspondence violated. Hussein refused to ratify the 1919 Treaty of Versailles.

A further British attempt to reach a treaty failed in 1923–24, with negotiations suspended in March 1924;[11] within six months, the British withdrew their support in favour of their central Arabian ally Ibn Saud, who proceeded to conquer Hussein's kingdom.[12]

The correspondence "haunted Anglo-Arab relations" for many decades thereafter

Ibn Saud defeated the Rashidi in 1903. By 1915 he'd chased the Turkish garrisons off the Arabian peninsula.
In 1923 the Emir of Mecca who had no following declared himself caliph so ibn Saud chased him off the peninsula. He was a traitor anyway... selling out the Arabs to the Zionists.

In the past I never did much looking into how modern Israel started, I just always thought it was a good thing. I don't know why it took me so long, but this year I've been looking into it and learning about things I hadn't heard about, and beginning to ask questions I hadn't asked before. Especially in regard to its creation from a spiritual / eschatological standpoint. I'm still looking into it, but for now I can say I don't think the whole thing is as simplistic as I assumed it was in the past.

The Brits were dealing from the bottom of the deck. They told the Arabs help us fight the Turks and when we win you get Palestine as your own country. And at the same time arranging for it to become a Jewish country.

There are many LIES surrounding the creation of Israel, especially concerning Israeli "terrorism," just as so many are accepting the ridiculous Hamas propaganda right now.

The FACT is, the Jews went in to exile for 2520 years and it was prophesied to be. After 2520 years the Jewish nation was to be restored, AND THAT HAPPENED ON SCHEDULE IN 1948!

I am sadly watching some here who should be well grounded on the Scriptures fall prey to this antisemetic spirit and all too easily accept the lies that are so common in the Muslim world

There are many LIES surrounding the creation of Israel, especially concerning Israeli "terrorism," just as so many are accepting the ridiculous Hamas propaganda right now.

The FACT is, the Jews went in to exile for 2520 years and it was prophesied to be. After 2520 years the Jewish nation was to be restored, AND THAT HAPPENED ON SCHEDULE IN 1948!

I am sadly watching some here who should be well grounded on the Scriptures fall prey to this antisemetic spirit and all too easily accept the lies that are so common in the Muslim world

It's not the Muslims who are liars. The Old Testament is full of lies. ....and demonizing the neighbors.

The alleged power of the Jewish bankers in WW1 was more about seeking retribution for WW1 debits that never happened. You could claim that Dutch bankers were responsible for the creation of the United States but it's a political exaggeration also. .

The alleged power of the Jewish bankers in WW1 was more about seeking retribution for WW1 debits that never happened.
What is that supposed to mean? If you are disputing the OP, please be more specific.

Except that is provably false

as early as 1893, there were in these “Jewish-settled areas” more Jews than either Muslims or Christians. Using projections from 1893 data and a variety of contemporary sources, including a series of British Mandatory reports, she proceeds to argue that contrary to Arab assertions and the by-now conventional wisdom, Jewish settlers in Palestine did not displace native Arabs but rather attracted large numbers of Arabs—both “in-migrants,” i.e., Arabs from the hill country of Judea and Samaria, and immigrants from neighboring Arab countries. The latter, Peters contends, for the most part entered the country illegally, but this was by and large ignored by the same British authorities who were zealously circumscribing Jewish immigration into the Jewish National Home.

Arieh Avneri, in The Claim of Dispossession, published after Miss Peters's book, provides additional data in support of her thesis, with regard both to Arab in-migration and to Arab immigration.

While the machinations of Zionist lobbies and international bankers resulted in the Balfour Declaration, the British government betrayed the Arabs who had agreed to fight the Ottoman Turks in exchange for Palestine under the earlier McMahon Agreement. (1)

In other words, while the Arabs were fighting and dying to earn Palestine, Zionists in both London and Washington were scheming on how to drag the US into another European war and abrogate a binding agreement.

Of course the Arabs were angry and resentful at having been betrayed by the West again and Muslims around the world will continue in their justified resentment at being betrayed as long as the West aids and abets Zionist genocide and land theft.

Netanyahu and his henchmen may succeed in destroying Gaza and systematically murdering Gaza's native residents but the world's 2.2 Billion Muslims will never allow the Zionist occupiers a moment's peace that Zionists have neither earned nor deserve.

Thanks,

(1). "The McMahon Agreement"

EXCERPT "The McMahon-Hussein Agreement of October 1915 was accepted by Palestinians as a promise by the British that after World War One, land previously held by the Turks would be returned to the Arab nationals who lived in that land. The McMahon-Hussein Agreement was to greatly complicate Middle East history and seemed to directly clash with the Balfour Declaration of 1917."CONTINUED

Except that is provably false

as early as 1893, there were in these “Jewish-settled areas” more Jews than either Muslims or Christians. Using projections from 1893 data and a variety of contemporary sources, including a series of British Mandatory reports, she proceeds to argue that contrary to Arab assertions and the by-now conventional wisdom, Jewish settlers in Palestine did not displace native Arabs but rather attracted large numbers of Arabs—both “in-migrants,” i.e., Arabs from the hill country of Judea and Samaria, and immigrants from neighboring Arab countries. The latter, Peters contends, for the most part entered the country illegally, but this was by and large ignored by the same British authorities who were zealously circumscribing Jewish immigration into the Jewish National Home.

Arieh Avneri, in The Claim of Dispossession, published after Miss Peters's book, provides additional data in support of her thesis, with regard both to Arab in-migration and to Arab immigration.

Peters should go back to writing cookbooks. The Jews were a tiny minority in Palestine until the 1930s. They were 8% of the population.

Forum List

Back