The Gold and Silver Thread

Thanks, Bernanke. Keep shoving us off the cliff with QE infinities.....ala 600B more. Does wonders for silver, gold, precious metals though.

Until you cash in the gold, you didn't make a dime. Remember the Hunts?

You would have made way more in cotton and coffee. This entire forum needs to learn that Bernanke is an imbecile who has no clue, and he's delusional. If he isn't fired he will destroy the dollar. This can happen any day. We went of the cliff when the banks collapsed.

Read this: Screwed Again

This ain't the Hunt brothers scenario unfolding. There are several factors driving pm's into the stratosphere and will continue for the long term.

Buy 1 April gold futures at $1418 to lock in the profit on the $1430 put. If the market crashes we only make the $1200 minus the $1430 straddle cost ($2000 call, $2000 put = $4000). If gold heads back to $1440 again we take our profit on the futures contract we bought at $1418.

Would you be kind enough to show me the math behind this play? (which is quoted, above, but I cannot change the font color for some reason)

I realize that I'm asking a lot, but I don't understand how, after one takes the cost of taking both positions, you can make any money this way.

Buy 1 April gold futures at $1418 to lock in the profit on the $1430 put. If the market crashes we only make the $1200 minus the $1430 straddle cost ($2000 call, $2000 put = $4000). If gold heads back to $1440 again we take our profit on the futures contract we bought at $1418.

Would you be kind enough to show me the math behind this play? (which is quoted, above, but I cannot change the font color for some reason)

I realize that I'm asking a lot, but I don't understand how, after one takes the cost of taking both positions, you can make any money this way.

Tell me what you think the cost is. If you are unable to subtract, there's nothing I can do for you.

Silver hit a multi-decade high today.

I own no gold and silver but bought a bit of oil. The best moves in the precious metals often come in times of fear, but such moves are usually ephemeral since fear can disappear overnight. If - and when - Gaddafi is shot dead, I wouldn't be surprised in gold dropped $100 and oil dropped $10. I prefer buying off money printing, which the Fed is doing. The weakness in the dollar is fucking pathetic. Investors should be flocking to Treasuries but they want nothing of it.

Max Keiser and Alan Grayson Explain

Get off your butt and buy physical silver right now (28.03 spot 1/29/11 @ 11:42 AM), before the price goes over 30 bucks, so you can cash in on the best opportunity to multiply your money in history. There is no rush, because the Chinese and big banks are still shorting the silver market, but use this opportunity to buy and take physical possession of as much silver bullion and silver coins as possible (Check).

Silver was just at 36.33 or up over 8 bucks in just over a month. Every ounce of silver is one share of stock in the coming dollar collapse. ;0)

Terral

Gold and silver got whacked today, with gold at one time down $24 and silver down $1.40. Both bounced off their lows on news of Saudi authorities firing into a crowd of demonstrators this afternoon. However, this is a day when gold and silver should have been strongly positive, given the news in the ME and the downgrade of Spain by Moody's.

Gold looks like its topping here, at least near-term. Gold did hit highs a few days ago but gold stocks did not. The GDX and GDXJ never hit the highs of January. This is a "non-conformation" of the move in gold and is bearish. Silver sliced through the January highs like the highs weren't even there, and the silver stocks followed. However, there are cracks in the precious metals bull market, and one should be cautious.

I do not think the bull market in precious metals is over, but I'm going to let the market talk to me before re-establishing positions. Right now, the market is telling me to be careful.

Last edited:
Gold and silver got whacked today, with gold at one time down $24 and silver down $1.40. Both bounced off their lows on news of Saudi authorities firing into a crowd of demonstrators this afternoon. However, this is a day when gold and silver should have been strongly positive, given the news in the ME and the downgrade of Spain by Moody's.

Gold looks like its topping here, at least near-term. Gold did hit highs a few days ago but gold stocks did not. The GDX and GDXJ never hit the highs of January. This is a "non-conformation" of the move in gold and is bearish. Silver sliced through the January highs like the highs weren't even there, and the silver stocks followed. However, there are cracks in the precious metals bull market, and one should be cautious.

I do not think the bull market in precious metals is over, but I'm going to let the market talk to me before re-establishing positions. Right now, the market is telling me to be careful.

The market is a beautiful woman. She talks to me, she whispers in my ear. Sometimes she fucks me, sometimes I fuck her. She's nuts but for some reason I keep coming back for more.

This big market dip is caused by the news of nuclear disaster in Japan.

All the nuclear power plant reactors that could "melt down" have been de-commissioned for over the past 30 years or have been updated to use a sub critical mass fuel just like this ones in Japan.

A nuclear meltdown is nearly impossible. All that happens in a partial "melt down" is that 1 or 2 fuel rods overheated and deformed. There is no way for white hot molten weapons grade uranium to spill out of the reactor confines to create a huge "Plutonium mushroom cloud".

There are no eyes on these reactors. All info comes from radiation monitoring away from these plants. The media is hyping this because of the lack of real time eyes on certain facts. Just because nobody can give the media definite answers, speculation & fantasy fill the news.

Buy stocks & commodities on this big dip.

Considering that precious metals are one of the few assets in a bull market and a semi-frequent topic of discussion on this board, I figured gold and silver deserved their own thread.

I bought back much of my gold and silver exposure yesterday and added a bit today. There is a bid underneath gold, and though silver is extended, there is support at ~$25-$26. A few weeks of consolidation for silver would do it a world of good.

What will you do with your gold and silver after crisis, only few people will purchase they, the prises will go rapid down and you will lost your money.

I have bought every ounce I can get my hands on today.

My wife is out of town, and she is going to kill me when she gets back :)

Considering that precious metals are one of the few assets in a bull market and a semi-frequent topic of discussion on this board, I figured gold and silver deserved their own thread.

I bought back much of my gold and silver exposure yesterday and added a bit today. There is a bid underneath gold, and though silver is extended, there is support at ~$25-$26. A few weeks of consolidation for silver would do it a world of good.

What will you do with your gold and silver after crisis, only few people will purchase they, the prises will go rapid down and you will lost your money.

I own no gold and silver at this time.

Gold and silver are breaking down. I believe they have topped, near-term. More worringly, gold never hit a new high in other currencies such as yen, euros or pounds. This causes concern regarding the bull market in gold and silver.

Gold hit an all-time high today at $1447 while silver hit at 31-year high at $38. Both reversed intra-day and ended at the lows at 4pm. (Futures markets close at 6pm GMT and have bounced a bit since the lows.) Both had what are known as a bearish outside reversal day, when the price hits a high then closes on the low, with the range of the trading day greater than yesterday, i.e. a higher high and a lower low than yesterday.

The cause of the reversal was the CME raising margins on silver by ~$600 per contract. The CME has been raising margin requirements throughout the past year, and when they do, the pattern has been for the precious metals to have a bearish outside reversal day like today then weaken over the next few days. Lately, the metals then push to new highs.

I've started to rebuild my positions. If the prices hold, I will continue to add.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back