The Harbaugh Era ends in San Francisco

FuelRod

Gold Member
Mar 16, 2011
So the San Francisco 49ers most successful coach in two decades was more less run out of town in a power struggle between ego's in Santa Clara between the GM and CEO Jed York.
This is a sorry end to what should and could have been a much more glorious tenure for Harbaugh with the franchise.
Egos and drama are nothing new in San Francisco. If you read back into the franchises history back into the Bill Walsh era. Eddie DeBartolo (York's uncle) wanted to terminate Walsh in knee jerk reactions on more than one occasion in the 1980's. The difference being, there were "buffers" or advocates for Walsh in the front office in General Manager John McVay and later Carmen Policy who had DeBartolo's ear. Cooler heads were able to prevail, the gentleman could calm down, have reasonable discussions over drinks and by the end loved each other again and the franchise went on to great success which is measured in Lombardi Trophies.
It's unfortunate that this did not exist for Harbaugh and the current 49ers organization.

Ironic he won 49 games in 4 years. To those who say he couldn't cut it in the NFL, he'll be the highest paid football coach in the country at Michigan....6 years, $48M and of course, he's the MICHIGAN MAN who's required to coach in the Big House. Welcome home, Jim.

M GO BLUE!

Michigan-Football_zps2a7ad268.jpg

I am embarrassed to admit I knew very little about Harbaugh's background before he took over as Head Coach in San Francisco. Of course his years at Michigan, Chicago Bears and Colts QB and basically what he did at SDSU and Stanford, my knowledge was just that.
To say I was impressed with spirit he brought to the franchise, reading more about his family history (growing up a student of the game as a Coaches son) and devout Catholic. Beyond impressed with how he handled players like Aldon Smith prior to 2014 "we have a chance to help somebody."
The maize and blue has a new fan in me.

So the San Francisco 49ers most successful coach in two decades was more less run out of town in a power struggle between ego's in Santa Clara between the GM and CEO Jed York.
This is a sorry end to what should and could have been a much more glorious tenure for Harbaugh with the franchise.
Egos and drama are nothing new in San Francisco. If you read back into the franchises history back into the Bill Walsh era. Eddie DeBartolo (York's uncle) wanted to terminate Walsh in knee jerk reactions on more than one occasion in the 1980's. The difference being, there were "buffers" or advocates for Walsh in the front office in General Manager John McVay and later Carmen Policy who had DeBartolo's ear. Cooler heads were able to prevail, the gentleman could calm down, have reasonable discussions over drinks and by the end loved each other again and the franchise went on to great success which is measured in Lombardi Trophies.
It's unfortunate that this did not exist for Harbaugh and the current 49ers organization.

I applaud York for not renewing his contract.Sure he is a great coach and turned the franchise around but his players have become thugs like him.yes he is thug Huggy.if people like you cant see that,well then that's your problem.

He has no class at all,thats why so many of the players have gotten into scandals the last year or so because they have embraced his thug mentality. That's why he jettisoned smith in favor of Kappy because smith is too much of a class act person.Kappy is a thug just like him.

Good riddance that jerk is gone. Smith got them to the NFC title game and was playing very well the next year before his injury and that jerk Harbaugh benched him.I just wish smith and the chiefs had been able to beat the niners when they faced them.

better to have an organization that doesn't do well with a coach that has class than a successful one that has no class at all.I always liked the niners until the harbaugh era.Harbaugh had that team turning into the raiders.an organization that historically has had no class.

better to have an organization that doesn't do well with a coach that has class than a successful one that has no class at all.I always liked the niners until the harbaugh era.Harbaugh had that team turning into the raiders.an organization that historically has had no class.

:lol: Tell that to the owner with the new $1.3B stadium he has to fill without a winning franchise. Harbaugh had little to no say in personnel decisions.....he coached what the GM got for him.....SF fans are the losers here but hey, any city that continually elects a crook like Pelousy pretty much has it coming to them.

If anything re: the Smith vs. Kaepernick decision, Harbaugh I think was guilty of believing a scouting reporting reporting he heard from his college QB Andrew Luck who worked out with him at a Manning QB camp either post college or prior to their senior seasons (I do not recall the story just the quote from Luck relaying a story to Harbaugh being impressed with 'the kid from Nevada' while they were there.) My opinion is I do not believe Smith could have taken us to the Super Bowl in 2013 or the title game last year.
Kaepernick has certainly regressed and is work in progress. The next Head Coach needs to be someone like a Shanahan who can #1 work with the QB to develop the finer points of his game and #2 bring some discipline to the team because many of off the field transgressions you mentioned this season that have occurred are an embarrassment to this organization.

I am embarrassed to admit I knew very little about Harbaugh's background before he took over as Head Coach in San Francisco. Of course his years at Michigan, Chicago Bears and Colts QB and basically what he did at SDSU and Stanford, my knowledge was just that.
To say I was impressed with spirit he brought to the franchise, reading more about his family history (growing up a student of the game as a Coaches son) and devout Catholic. Beyond impressed with how he handled players like Aldon Smith prior to 2014 "we have a chance to help somebody."

Even our arch rivals Ohio State and Michigan State are applauding the hire....nobody liked seeing Michigan as the doormat of the Big Ten thanks to an incompetent AD and bad coaching choices. Notre Dame even took Michigan off it's schedule after years of intense rivalry. What Harbaugh brings is a recruiting edge they'd lost.....signing day is Feb.2 so he has his work cut out for him ...he thrives on pressure like that.

If anything re: the Smith vs. Kaepernick decision, Harbaugh I think was guilty of believing a scouting reporting reporting he heard from his college QB Andrew Luck who worked out with him at a Manning QB camp either post college or prior to their senior seasons (I do not recall the story just the quote from Luck relaying a story to Harbaugh being impressed with 'the kid from Nevada' while they were there.) My opinion is I do not believe Smith could have taken us to the Super Bowl in 2013 or the title game last year.
Kaepernick has certainly regressed and is work in progress. The next Head Coach needs to be someone like a Shanahan who can #1 work with the QB to develop the finer points of his game and #2 bring some discipline to the team because many of off the field transgressions you mentioned this season that have occurred are an embarrassment to this organization.

I can't believe the 49ers have anywhere near the "thug" mentality the Detroit Lions have....now Suh is stomping on a QB and will probably get suspended for the Dallas game.....he's probably played his last game as a Lion because I don't see them beating Dallas in Dallas without him.....dumbass.

I think 9/11 is referring more to off the field transgressions as the thug mentality. On the field the 49ers defense personally I think plays how you like to see the game played. Just hard hitting football.

Even our arch rivals Ohio State and Michigan State are applauding the hire....nobody liked seeing Michigan as the doormat of the Big Ten thanks to an incompetent AD and bad coaching choices. Notre Dame even took Michigan off it's schedule after years of intense rivalry. What Harbaugh brings is a recruiting edge they'd lost.....signing day is Feb.2 so he has his work cut out for him ...he thrives on pressure like that.
He should certainly give Urban Meyer a run for his money in the rust belt that is for sure.

I think 9/11 is referring more to off the field transgressions as the thug mentality. On the field the 49ers defense personally I think plays how you like to see the game played. Just hard hitting football.

If you knew the history of recent Lions draftees with reefer and drunk driving you'd hear what I'm saying about their personnel decisions. Google a receiver named Titus Young out of Boise State they drafted 3 years ago....he got the boot and went on a drug and home-invasion spree.

He should certainly give Urban Meyer a run for his money in the rust belt that is for sure.

I spit when I say the name buckeyes....Meyer has an SEC caliber team in Columbus and I bet that was part of the sales pitch to Harbaugh....."Jim, you're the only guy who can whip his boys".....Harbaugh loves a challenge like that. But we're not so starry-eyed not to realize he probably won't do the 6 years at Michigan....get the program squared away, maybe win a national title, and then he heads back to the NFL. His big brother got him in the Super Bowl and I bet he wants to even that score for family reunion bragging rights.

Yes and I can't imagine him taking an AFC job either if and when he returns to the NFL (this is assuming John remains in Baltimore). Whenever L.A. gets its team?

Yes and I can't imagine him taking an AFC job either if and when he returns to the NFL (this is assuming John remains in Baltimore). Whenever L.A. gets its team?

I was more worried about the Bears jumping into the sweepstakes than I was the Raiders. His wife supposedly hired an architect to build a new home in Palo Alto so when I heard that it was OH OH he and the Niners worked things out. Something about LA and pro football eh? They embraced the Raiders and then abandoned them...of course Al Davis and his mob ties may have had something to do with that. Don't be too surprised if the 49ers come to their senses in 3 or 4 years and make him an offer he can't refuse to come back. :eusa_angel:

The Raiders always seem to be a ship now without a port. The Santa Clara Stadium makes as much sense as a home for the Raiders as anything unfortunately. Especially if the 49ers franchise turns south .

The Raiders always seem to be a ship now without a port. The Santa Clara Stadium makes as much sense as a home for the Raiders as anything unfortunately. Especially if the 49ers franchise turns south .

The Davis kid has now had how many top-3 picks in a row and still can't build a winning team? I don't see how a new stadium is going to fix that...my bet is he's making more money fielding a loser than he would having to pay for top talent...that's why revenue-sharing is a joke...what's his incentive? Raider Nation is happy just to dress up like Darth Vader and get on TV....do they even remember how it feels to win games? :lol:

I

The Davis kid has now had how many top-3 picks in a row and still can't build a winning team? I don't see how a new stadium is going to fix that...my bet is he's making more money fielding a loser than he would having to pay for top talent...that's why revenue-sharing is a joke...what's his incentive? Raider Nation is happy just to dress up like Darth Vader and get on TV....do they even remember how it feels to win games? :lol:
I saw something online yesterday about the facebook having been around for 11 years now mean g there has never been a post about the Raiders making the playoffs. :)) sad state for a once proud franchise. Of course this can't all be blamed on the young Davis. I do like their QB.

Forum List

Back