The memory that keeps the sensations of the past

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
I want to explain the title of my topic, what I mean is that I looked back at an old family photo album from the 1880s to 1920’s and the first time I looked at it I had a special feeling a unique and strong emotion it was in 2004 and I looked back it was a few months ago and I felt the same feeling again as if my brain had recorded the same emotion of that moment in 2004 and I could relive it again.
It doesn’t always happen and it is a mystery.
What do you think? Have you ever had an experience like this?

I can look at my "dead deer" photo album and immediately recall the kill and the circumstances of same.

Sorta sad though as the various other folks in the pics are mostly long dead or getting there in a big hurry. One of them died Monday....Fuck cancer.

My business requires me to inspect homes. When I drive through areas, even years later, I recall exactly which places I inspected in the past, what it felt like and what the interior looked like. My theory: Events in the past tied to physical and/or emotional energy are remembered.

My business requires me to inspect homes. When I drive through areas, even years later, I recall exactly which places I inspected in the past, what it felt like and what the interior looked like. My theory: Events in the past tied to physical and/or emotional energy are remembered.
That is exactly what i felt and i don't know if you felt the same way but it is hard to explain but i could feel the summer weather and the sensation of smell in the room it was like i relive the same moment in 2004.

That is exactly what i felt and i don't know if you felt the same way but it is hard to explain but i could feel the summer weather and the sensation of smell in the room it was like i relive the same moment in 2004.
When I was a young stud, I had a girlfriend that wore a rose-scented perfume. When I smell that it brings back memories. When I smell grass in the morning dew, I recall the times I went golfing with my dad. We used to get up before dawn to get an early tee off and waited for the sun to come up at the golf course. Very vivid memories. BTW, this is a great thread, congratulations!

Last edited:
When I was a young stud, I had a girlfriend that wore a rose-scented perfume. When I smell that it brings back memories.
The memory seems the act in a strange way some perfumes remind us of a moment and other moment that could be important are forgotten with time and other little moment of life is recorded so with could relive it

The memory seems the act in a strange way some perfumes remind us of a moment and other moment that could be important are forgotten with time and other little moment of life is recorded so with could relive it
Agreed, and the same perfume can smell different on different people.

I had a parrot. I tried to get the damn thing to talk but with little success. One time I was working and hurt myself and shouted a painful 'SHHHHEEEIT!!!! Wouldn't you know it, that damn bird learned that on the spot and from then on repeated it with relish!!! Especially when company was present.....:mad:

Just had it happen earlier this week. I went back to check out an old house that I had stayed in working a couple of summers in the mid 80's.
One day back then, I had just come back from a strenuous hike where I had to dodge lightning bolts on the way down the mountain. I was exhausted. Drained. Feeling lucky
to be in one piece. When I got back to the building, I went to open the front door with my left hand and placed my right hand on a sign that was put up the year the structure was built.
I looked inside of the door glass at the wood floor and closed my eyes and muttered something quickly to myself before I turned the handle to go inside.

When I looked in that same door earlier this week, I placed my right hand on the sign (when I looked inside the door) and was immediately taken back back to that day. The weather, the wind, the temperature, what I was
thinking, what I was feeling, the rumble of thunder in the distance.

What you describe is a real sensation.

I felt the same feeling again as if my brain had recorded the same emotion of that moment in 2004 and I could relive it again.

Some times it's a picture or perhaps the weather on that particular day that will trigger this feeling. But most often it's a smell that does it!

Either that or a frozen chocolate chip cookie :D

My mom made dozens of cookies for Christmas and thought she could hide them from us in a coffee can in the basement freezer. But when Christmas would get here...all she would find is empty coffee cans in the freezer :laughing0301:

Some times it's a picture or perhaps the weather on that particular day that will trigger this feeling. But most often it's a smell that does it!

My mom made dozens of cookies for Christmas and thought she could hide them from us in a coffee can in the basement freezer. But when Christmas would get here...all she would find is empty coffee cans in the freezer :laughing0301:
Oh man!! Your post just made me remember 'stealing' 'Toll House' cookies while still cooling from the oven!!!!!:cool:

Thank you all , i agree about the smell it could remind us of a past moment like a song could do the same way but i wonder if a object like my old album photo could have print (recorded) the past moment that i relive exactly the same way that in 2004 ?

Like JackOfNoTrades said below for him it would have been the sign ?

When I got back to the building, I went to open the front door with my left hand and placed my right hand on a sign that was put up the year the structure was built.
When I looked in that same door earlier this week, I placed my right hand on the sign (when I looked inside the door) and was immediately taken back back to that day. The weather, the wind, the temperature, what I was
thinking, what I was feeling, the rumble of thunder in the distance.

Forum List

Back