The Most Surprising New Gun Owners Are U.S. Liberals

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

American gun culture has long been dominated by conservative, white men. Now, in a marked change, a burgeoning number of liberals are buying firearms, according to surveys and fast-growing gun groups drawing minorities and progressives.

“It’s a group of people who five years ago would never have considered buying a gun,” says Jennifer Hubbert, an anthropology professor at Lewis & Clark College in Portland, Ore., who has researched liberal gun owners.

Historically, it wasn’t unusual for Democrats to own guns, with many more of them living in rural areas. Also, hunting was much more popular. But starting in the early ’90s, gun ownership among Democrats dropped significantly. Increasingly divisive political battles over the role of firearms in American society led the Democratic Party to become an advocate for gun regulation. Republicans became the party of gun rights.

Now, today’s Democrats are rediscovering guns . . .

Well at least I don't have to share my range with them. ;)

That said, it's not a bad thing to listen to the thoughts and motivations of your enemies.

Political discourse is much more interesting when there is disagreement.

It makes no sense to be a liberal period, much less a liberal gun owner, but they do exist, and it would be in our best interest for them to embrace gun rights.

Perhaps that is why some of the gun-grabbing talk from the less insane dems has died down some. They are in the same line of fire as right-leaners.

The article notes that "Democrats" are buying more guns. Only a small percentage of Democrats are actually liberal.

Most Americans are concerned about guns in the hands of white domestic right wing terrorists.

American gun culture has long been dominated by conservative, white men. Now, in a marked change, a burgeoning number of liberals are buying firearms, according to surveys and fast-growing gun groups drawing minorities and progressives.

“It’s a group of people who five years ago would never have considered buying a gun,” says Jennifer Hubbert, an anthropology professor at Lewis & Clark College in Portland, Ore., who has researched liberal gun owners.

Historically, it wasn’t unusual for Democrats to own guns, with many more of them living in rural areas. Also, hunting was much more popular. But starting in the early ’90s, gun ownership among Democrats dropped significantly. Increasingly divisive political battles over the role of firearms in American society led the Democratic Party to become an advocate for gun regulation. Republicans became the party of gun rights.

That said, it's not a bad thing to listen to the thoughts and motivations of your enemies.

It makes no sense to be a liberal period, much less a liberal gun owner, but they do exist, and it would be in our best interest for them to embrace gun rights.

Perhaps that is why some of the gun-grabbing talk from the less insane dems has died down some. They are in the same line of fire as right-leaners.
We always did own guns. Where have you been ? We only want to grab guns from illiterate sellers to criminals.

You know, for decades and decades, dems and republicans agreed on 2A. My family was largely democrats as I grew up. All had guns and knew why we had guns. Now, the democrats of today, are making guns a political divisive tool. If the Dems knew anything, they would support 2A, because it supports their ability to have the freedom to believe and support the their system of gov't against tyranny too. But they are so dumb, they can't see that and will give up their capacity to defend against tyranny just so they can have a specific POTUS in office. Good luck with defending freedom and liberty when the gov't the Dems vote in, goes tits up against everyone.

You know, for decades and decades, dems and republicans agreed on 2A. My family was largely democrats as I grew up. All had guns and knew why we had guns. Now, the democrats of today, are making guns a political divisive tool.
The Democratic party of today is run by authoritarian leftists, who want the state to have a monopoly on force
They know this cannot happen so long as the citizenry remains armed.

You know, for decades and decades, dems and republicans agreed on 2A. My family was largely democrats as I grew up. All had guns and knew why we had guns. Now, the democrats of today, are making guns a political divisive tool. If the Dems knew anything, they would support 2A, because it supports their ability to have the freedom to believe and support the their system of gov't against tyranny too. But they are so dumb, they can't see that and will give up their capacity to defend against tyranny just so they can have a specific POTUS in office. Good luck with defending freedom and liberty when the gov't the Dems vote in, goes tits up against everyone.

It’s simple……. the gop is paid to provide an avenue for guns to be sold to criminals. The turn over of firearms among the criminals and drug cartels is big and provides gun makers a healthy profit

Of course. The right wingers generally already own guns.

This is like saying all the new starter bra buyers are teenagers.

Well no shit.

What we are seeing are the late stages of a gun crazed society. Gun haters start buying guns to protect themselves from the batshit gun nutter society.

Last edited:

Well no shit.

What we are seeing are the late stages of a gun crazed society. Gun haters start buying guns to protect themselves from the batshit gun nutter society.
Ha ha…..and yet, it’s the right gun nuts who are shooting and terrorizing everyone, including two assassination attempts onTrump

Well no shit.

There are plenty of democrats that own guns, and buying guns. But, like most other responsible gun owners, they don't talk about it. And they don't talk about it because of gun safety or other safe precautions, they don't talk about it because they know owning a gun goes against their party affiliations or social and political circles. Your last statement, is utter BS and speculation. The only ones the dems need to worry about is the gov't and urban big cities.

It’s simple……. the gop is paid to provide an avenue for guns to be sold to criminals. The turn over of firearms among the criminals and drug cartels is big and provides gun makers a healthy profit
I have no idea how you come to this correlation, drunk, high, ignorant, or maybe all three combined.

The dems of today are Marxists. People with guns prevent them taking over and turning the USA into a police state.

I have no idea how you come to this correlation, drunk, high, ignorant, or maybe all three combined.
Just fundamentally a stupid troll. Ignore it and it will die.

Forum List

Back