The Myth That Refuses To Die

[ Not to bad for just a Bachelors fresh out of college, with a joke of a degree.

What "joke of a degree"? History? Biology? English Literature? Physics? Chemistry? Foreign languages? All "jokes"?
No, "Education", with essentially a beefy minor in the topic of interest. I've known many "education" majors and while they may be whiz-bang at the "learning theory" du jour, their grasp of their supposed area of expertise is below a mediocre major in the field.

So, I take it you don't think teachers deserve 70k. Then we are in agreement, and it's just a matter of negotiation downward at this point.

Did you actively avoid learning the first thing about logic during your school years?

[ Not to bad for just a Bachelors fresh out of college, with a joke of a degree.

What "joke of a degree"? History? Biology? English Literature? Physics? Chemistry? Foreign languages? All "jokes"?
No, "Education", with essentially a beefy minor in the topic of interest. I've known many "education" majors and while they may be whiz-bang at the "learning theory" du jour, their grasp of their supposed area of expertise is below a mediocre major in the field.

Thanks for another logical fallacy.

:rolleyes:

That's not a logical fallacy, that's my observation of the "worth" of teachers who majored in education. You should learn what a "logical fallacy" actually is before you start using it in sentences.

That's not a logical fallacy, that's my observation of the "worth" of teachers who majored in education. You should learn what a "logical fallacy" actually is before you start using it in sentences.

I know exactly what it means, and that is exactly what your illogical conclusion based on personal anecdote is. Seems you don't value education in general. Is that so?

So, I take it you don't think teachers deserve 70k. Then we are in agreement, and it's just a matter of negotiation downward at this point.

Did you actively avoid learning the first thing about logic during your school years?

You claimed that you never said they should earn 70k per year and, the way you expressed it, it certainly was implied that 70k was ludicrously high. So, I take it that you don't think they should earn 70k, you don't think they should earn less, so therefore you must be advocating they earn more. That's just plain funny, given the utility of the degree, the very loose labor market for that "skill", and the fact that private sector teachers earn much less on average.

I know exactly what it means, and that is exactly what your illogical conclusion based on personal anecdote is. Seems you don't value education in general. Is that so?
Based on those observations of relative talent, I concluded that teachers are no where near worth 70k. I know I wouldn't pay it and, apparently, the market for the most part agrees with me. That's a perfectly logical conclusion.

Based on those observations of relative talent, I concluded that teachers are no where near worth 70k. I know I wouldn't pay it and, apparently, the market for the most part agrees with me. That's a perfectly logical conclusion.

A teacher who lives in Manhattan should make $70K, a teacher who lives in your trailer park should make quite a bit less

A teacher who lives in Manhattan should make $70K, a teacher who lives in your trailer park should make quite a bit less
I disagree with both points. The first is a very skewed over compensation for a simplistic job by someone who can't, while the second is just factually incorrect.

Teachers have been some of the most influential people in my life and in my childrens lives.

Teachers have been some of the most influential people in my life and in my childrens lives.
My condolences.
Actually, my condolences extend to you for never having a great teacher in your life. I can see why you are so cynical, but I can also see why that may have contributed to your bad relationships with teachers

You claimed that you never said they should earn 70k per year and, the way you expressed it, it certainly was implied that 70k was ludicrously high.

I didn't say anything about "ludicrously high." You seriously have no idea at all about logic, do you?

Man, you are lost.

I have known many experts in their field who are incapable of explaining it to others in a manner they will comprehend. That is where teachers come in

My condolences.
Actually, my condolences extend to you for never having a great teacher in your life. I can see why you are so cynical, but I can also see why that may have contributed to your bad relationships with teachers
I didn't have "bad relationships with teachers", certainly not when I went to school, but have seen the incompetence of k-12 public school teachers in their supposed area of expertise. I'm not talking about "teaching skill", rather basic competency in their nominal fields.

You claimed that you never said they should earn 70k per year and, the way you expressed it, it certainly was implied that 70k was ludicrously high.

I didn't say anything about "ludicrously high." You seriously have no idea at all about logic, do you?
No, you didn't say "ludicrously high", nor did I claim you did. By your dismissive tone regarding my incorrect attribution of that number, it certainly implied that you thought it was ludicrously high. That's why I said "was implied" rather than "you said". See the difference? In the latter case, I would have falsely attributed a statement to you. In the former, and actually occurring, case, I inferred by your dismissive tone that you thought it was ridiculously high.

You really don't understand logic, and that's ok, but you might want to be a bit more circumspect incorrectly attributing misuse.

Last edited:
doctors , dentists and cooks have skills and live on their reputations and if you don't like a Doctor or Dentist or restaurant you just don't go back to them as you go to the next doctor , dentist or restaurant , pretty simple Unkatare . Teachers with their unions have parents and students by the short hair as they whine for more money . Private schools may be different as I don't think that they have teachers unions . Private school teacher gets paid based on their reputation and performance I think .
Dentists don't get blamed for their rate of patient cavities if the patients refuse to maintain good dental hygiene, do they?

You may value teachers, but I don't. Consequently, I advocate that their pay is as low as the market will bear. Look at private schools: teachers generally make less in them than at their public counterparts, and they generally do a much better job. Thus, we know what the glorified babysitters are worth when people get a choice.
Why do you think that is? (If it's true, that is)

Forum List

Back