The New Plowshares

Trakar

VIP Member
Feb 28, 2011
New Climates will require New Agricultural Technologies
http://iowapublicradio.org/post/reinventing-farming-changing-climate
Scientists say climate change could increase pests and weeds, lengthen growing seasons and turn dry soil to dust. Farmers are already on the offensive, adopting no-till cropping methods to conserve water and experimenting with different seeds. And scientists are using a technique called gene silencing to develop new crops--without tinkering with the plants' DNA.
Related programs:
•Talk of the Nation on IPR News and Studio One
•Talk of the Nation on IPR News & Studio One

I, personally, see no reason to jump on the pseudo-science fringe’s hyperventilations bandwagon over GMO crops and foods. This interesting science program, which deserves to be listened to by all who are more interested in science than political talking points.

This program directly addresses one of the main consequences of the warming, the effect on agriculture. We need to support it as much as possible.

All of the tools in our toolbag are going to be needed as the warming accelerates, and we see more effects on agriculture.

Interesting that the farmers had no doubts that they are seeing far more variability in the weather now than ever in the past.

It's not about "warming"'s effect on agriculture, it's about agriculture's effect on the environment. Fuck those bastards.
Rocker, I'm ashamed that you don't recognize agriculture's contribution to pollution and general degredation of environment yet see it the other way around.
What convoluted bullshit.

Of course I see it. I also see farmers that contribute relitively little to that pollution through smart farming. But if the all farmers started using smart farming methods, many industries would find themselves with a lot less money, including the energy companies.

Oops, excuse me...

"God made a farmer".

Maybe that's why we worship their sorry asses.

Well, reality is, we can actually do without affordable petroleum. We cannot do without affordable food. That's called starvation, and it is extremely unpleasant.

Of course I see it. I also see farmers that contribute relitively little to that pollution through smart farming. But if the all farmers started using smart farming methods, many industries would find themselves with a lot less money, including the energy companies.

Energy companies live and die by the markets. Farmers will live in perpetuity by the government. And the hydrocarbon industries are a far sight more innovative and creative than agriculture and they do it on their own Nickle .

Again, water, food, and shelter, in that order. The rest is luxury. You can go a few days without water, a few weeks without food, and shelter until it is either too hot or too cold. We did without petro chemicals for 200,000 years. I would not return to that existance, and much love the life I presently live with it's vast luxury. But them's the realities. Water, food, and shelter, the rest is luxury.

This program directly addresses one of the main consequences of the warming, the effect on agriculture. We need to support it as much as possible.

All of the tools in our toolbag are going to be needed as the warming accelerates, and we see more effects on agriculture.

Interesting that the farmers had no doubts that they are seeing far more variability in the weather now than ever in the past.

Fewer towers of demagogicdissimulationto obscure and filter their daily exposure to, and perceptions of, a changing climate.

Again, water, food, and shelter, in that order. The rest is luxury. You can go a few days without water, a few weeks without food, and shelter until it is either too hot or too cold. We did without petro chemicals for 200,000 years. I would not return to that existance, and much love the life I presently live with it's vast luxury. But them's the realities. Water, food, and shelter, the rest is luxury.

I'm sure procreation should be in there somewhere, but I doubt any of us would forget about that for long as long as we are getting enough of those first three to survive.

;)

I'm sure procreation should be in there somewhere, but I doubt any of us would forget about that for long as long as we are getting enough of those first three to survive.

;)

LOL. We seem to manage that, thirsty, hungry, too hot or too cold.

Sorry sir it is changed now, It is Obama care, Water, food and shelter in that order.

Adapting agriculture to climate change
Adapting agriculture to climate change

Conclusions
There is increasing urgency for a stronger focus on adapting agriculture to future climate change. There are many potential adaptation options available at the management level, often variations of existing climate risk management. However, there are as yet relatively few studies that assess both the likely effectiveness and adoption rates of possible response strategies. A synthesis of studies for cropping systems indicates first that the potential benefits of adaptation in temperate and tropical wheat-growing systems are similar and substantial (averaging 18%), even though the likely adoption rates may differ; and second, that most of the benefits of marginal adaptations within existing systems accrue with moderate climate change, and there are limits to their effectiveness under more severe climate changes. Hence, more systemic changes in resource allocation, including livelihood diversification, need to be considered. We argue that increased adaptation action will require integration of climate change risk with a more inclusive risk management framework, taking into account climate variability, market dynamics, and specific policy domains. Many barriers to adaptation exist; overcoming them will require a comprehensive and dynamic policy approach, covering a range of scales and issues, from individual farmer awareness to the establishment of more efficient markets. A crucial part of this approach is an adaptation assessment framework that can equitably engage farmers, agribusiness, and policymakers, leveraging off the substantial collective knowledge of agricultural systems, yet focusing on values of importance to stakeholders. To be effective, science must adapt, too, by continuing to review research needs and enhancing the central core integrative science in the communication and management tools developed with decision makers.

The entire paper is an easy and good read, more about the general process that needs to be followed to properly and thoroughly consider the topic and what further research needs to be done to guide policy decisions and practices.

Last edited:

And how has agriculture managed to "feed the world" during that last 150 years?

Hydrocarbons.

And we have been doing without "affordable food" for some time now.
Record prices for groceries, while the God-made fucking farmers reap windfalls, all the while exporting hundreds of millions of metric tons of OUR food.

It's time the American farmer were put in place. Reduce tillable acreage to only that needed to feed U.S. consumers. Plow the rest up and plant trees. Agriculture is killing the world's environment in the name of profits. Fuck those motherscratchers.

Why did God's farmer destroy the earth?

So he could buy that shiny new Cadillac.

God made a farmer: "In the beginning, God made a farmer".

In the end, the farmer destroyed mankind.

We have met the enemy, yet we choose to worship him.

Fuck that agriculture shit.

Your Haiku rant not withstanding, do you have anything of relevance to add to this threads topic of discussion?

Your Haiku rant not withstanding, do you have anything of relevance to add to this threads topic of discussion?

When I'm sober, yes. :D

That isn't my only post to this thread.

Concern for agriculture's ability to function in a changing climate while ignoring ag's contribution to the changing climate and quality of the environment is ridiculous.

They are the #1 source of earth's degradation.

When I'm sober, yes. :D

LOL, I'm generally unconcerned and understanding with regards to mild inebriation. But, neither do I make a habit of trying to engage the inebriated in serious conversations.

That isn't my only post to this thread.

Concern for agriculture's ability to function in a changing climate while ignoring ag's contribution to the changing climate and quality of the environment is ridiculous.

They are the #1 source of earth's degradation.

I would need to see compelling evidence of a #1 ranking before I would accept that, but anyone who says, land-use and farming/ranching practices have no impact on climate change are merely ignorant of the facts and general climate science understandings.

Ag is #1 because I say it is. Just as Liberals spread lies and misinformation about the hydrocarbon industries.

In actuality, I'd say Mother Nature itself is the #1 polluter through natural phenomena

Forum List

Back