The problem with education

I has a little bet going with myself that you would reply without reading anything.

Guess which way I bet?

I watched more than half of your video that so stupid it bordered on "offensive". Children in foreign ghettos "taught" themselves English? Suggesting such a thing is stupid beyond belief. Who could possibly believe such nonsense? Somehow, using a computer is "teaching yourself"?

Republicans use any excuse to stay away from education. And because of that, there are millions of jobs that can't be filled. Republicans are too stupid to learn. They just don't want to.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/jolts.pdf

The number of jobs available have swelled to 3.7 million from 3.1 million, the last time I posted that statistic.

I hate to break your heart, but TED Talks is famous among progressives and intellectuals for presenting forward thinking ideas. If you weren't so anti education and knowledge you would pay a lot more attention to them. For instance, the speaker you so causally dismiss simply because I posted the video has a PhD in physics, has 25 inventions in the field of cognitive science and education technology, and actually developed hyperlinking long before the internet existed.

feel free to hate on him though, it shows how close minded you are, and actually makes my point.

Before someone else tells you how to think, learn to think for yourself. Do you believe ghetto children in India taught themselves English?

I have been trying to describe why education, as it is set up today, is not the way to teach children for a while. The fundamental problem with it is that it was set over 100 years ago, and was designed to create cogs in a machine, not individuals. the future needs people who can think for themselves, adapt, and teach themselves the skills they need.

I really enjoy listening to Sugatra Mitra when he talks about his hole in the wall experiment where children taught themselves English. They learned, not because they were being taught in an organized way, but because they recognized the need, and developed their own methods of learning.

Sugata Mitra: Build a School in the Cloud - YouTube

For those of us who have problem with higher learning I found a cartoon that outlines the entire thing.

suagata-mitra-drawing.jpg

So I start reading about Sugata Mitra because listening to him, he seemed a little to zany for me to take seriously. Almost right away, I find other opinions such as:

Criticism

Learning style theories have been criticized by many.
Some psychologists and neuroscientists have questioned the scientific basis for and the theories on which they are based. According to Susan Greenfield the practice is "nonsense" from a neuroscientific point of view: "Humans have evolved to build a picture of the world through our senses working in unison, exploiting the immense interconnectivity that exists in the brain."
Many educational psychologists believe that there is little evidence for the efficacy of most learning style models, and furthermore, that the models often rest on dubious theoretical grounds. According to Stahl, there has been an "utter failure to find that assessing children's learning styles and matching to instructional methods has any effect on their learning." Guy Claxton has questioned the extent that learning styles such as VARK are helpful, particularly as they can have a tendency to label children and therefore restrict learning.
[edit]Critique made by Coffield, et al.

Learning styles

Nonsense? It's described as "nonsense"? And there is so much more where that came from.

The truth is, you would need statistical evidence how these children's lives were improved by this new "self taught" method of education. The truth is children are blank slates. They barely know how to learn. It's up to adults to teach them. What they learn by themselves is not very relevant.

I watched more than half of your video that so stupid it bordered on "offensive". Children in foreign ghettos "taught" themselves English? Suggesting such a thing is stupid beyond belief. Who could possibly believe such nonsense? Somehow, using a computer is "teaching yourself"?

Republicans use any excuse to stay away from education. And because of that, there are millions of jobs that can't be filled. Republicans are too stupid to learn. They just don't want to.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/jolts.pdf

The number of jobs available have swelled to 3.7 million from 3.1 million, the last time I posted that statistic.

I hate to break your heart, but TED Talks is famous among progressives and intellectuals for presenting forward thinking ideas. If you weren't so anti education and knowledge you would pay a lot more attention to them. For instance, the speaker you so causally dismiss simply because I posted the video has a PhD in physics, has 25 inventions in the field of cognitive science and education technology, and actually developed hyperlinking long before the internet existed.

feel free to hate on him though, it shows how close minded you are, and actually makes my point.

Before someone else tells you how to think, learn to think for yourself. Do you believe ghetto children in India taught themselves English?

Do you know anything about how children learn English?

I have been trying to describe why education, as it is set up today, is not the way to teach children for a while. The fundamental problem with it is that it was set over 100 years ago, and was designed to create cogs in a machine, not individuals. the future needs people who can think for themselves, adapt, and teach themselves the skills they need.

I really enjoy listening to Sugatra Mitra when he talks about his hole in the wall experiment where children taught themselves English. They learned, not because they were being taught in an organized way, but because they recognized the need, and developed their own methods of learning.

Sugata Mitra: Build a School in the Cloud - YouTube

For those of us who have problem with higher learning I found a cartoon that outlines the entire thing.

suagata-mitra-drawing.jpg

So I start reading about Sugata Mitra because listening to him, he seemed a little to zany for me to take seriously. Almost right away, I find other opinions such as:

Criticism

Learning style theories have been criticized by many.
Some psychologists and neuroscientists have questioned the scientific basis for and the theories on which they are based. According to Susan Greenfield the practice is "nonsense" from a neuroscientific point of view: "Humans have evolved to build a picture of the world through our senses working in unison, exploiting the immense interconnectivity that exists in the brain."
Many educational psychologists believe that there is little evidence for the efficacy of most learning style models, and furthermore, that the models often rest on dubious theoretical grounds. According to Stahl, there has been an "utter failure to find that assessing children's learning styles and matching to instructional methods has any effect on their learning." Guy Claxton has questioned the extent that learning styles such as VARK are helpful, particularly as they can have a tendency to label children and therefore restrict learning.
[edit]Critique made by Coffield, et al.

Learning styles

Nonsense? It's described as "nonsense"? And there is so much more where that came from.

The truth is, you would need statistical evidence how these children's lives were improved by this new "self taught" method of education. The truth is children are blank slates. They barely know how to learn. It's up to adults to teach them. What they learn by themselves is not very relevant.

Wow, I am almost impressed. There is a small problem with you pulling something off the internet like that, I can find stupid stuff too.

Andromeda paradox proves Einstein's relativity is nonsense

Through repetition.

No ghetto children in India learn English by themselves. That's retarded. You don't really support something so obviously batshit, do you? Tell me you don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Through repetition.

Not ghetto children in India learning it by themselves. That's retarded. You don't really support something so obviously batshit, do you? Tell me you don't.

I see you know nothing about how children learn languages.

The thing is, no one knows how children pick up language. It is possible for a child to pick up more than one language simple by having people around them that speak different languages.

Language and Linguistics: Language Acquisition

Did you learn something, or are you going to continue to insist on being a racist and refusing to admit that kids in India can do something you cannot?

Through repetition.

Not ghetto children in India learning it by themselves. That's retarded. You don't really support something so obviously batshit, do you? Tell me you don't.

The thing is, no one knows how children pick up language. It is possible for a child to pick up more than one language simple by having people around them that speak different languages.

Did you learn something, or are you going to continue to insist on being a racist and refusing to admit that kids in India can do something you cannot?

I'm not trying to insult you. But seriously, you post to an article that explains how children pick up language. They just don't know which factors are the most important.

Coming up with an incomplete answer is not the same as having no answer at all.

And saying that no children teach themselves a foreign language is self evident to thinking people. It's not something even super children from an Indian ghetto can do.

When you learn a new language, you don't just learn it out of "thin air". Someone is teaching you. No one can argue with that. Because to suggest such an inane thing is batshit crazy.

The problem with education is that education is being replaced by this kind of nonsense.

http://www.campusreform.org/blog/?ID=4668

The workshop, entitled “The Ultimate Guide to Prostate Pleasure,” will be conducted by sexologist Charlie Glickman and promises to show attendees “how much fun prostate stimulation can be.”

The official event description asks students: “Are you curious about prostate play?”

Glickman will “talk about the common concerns that sometimes keep people from exploring it (and how to overcome them), tips for easy and pleasurable anal penetration, prostate massage, which toys work best for prostate fun, pegging, combining prostate pleasure with other kinds of sex, and much more,” it continues.

On Monday, Brown also hosted a “Fornication 101” seminar as part of their sex week, which included topics such as “putting condoms on with your mouth,” “petting kitties,” and “anal adventures.”

It's certainly more fun than some boring old subject like physics or engineering.

Through repetition.

I'm not trying to insult you. But seriously, you post to an article that explains how children pick up language. They just don't know which factors are the most important.

And saying that no children teach themselves a foreign language is self evident to thinking people. It's not something even super children from an Indian ghetto can do.

When you learn a new language, you don't just learn it out of "thin air". Someone is teaching you. No one can argue with that. Because to suggest such an inane thing is batshit crazy.

You really are stubborn, aren't you.

Do you know anyone that has children? Did they sit down and teach their kids English, or did the kids just learn it naturally?

Do you know anyone that has children? Did they sit down and teach their kids English, or did the kids just learn it naturally?

Naturally? Every time a parent looks at their child and says a single word to that child the kid is learning that language.

And you call me "stubborn"?????

Can't you understand how saying "The kid learns English 'naturally'" sounds? What does that even mean?

The problem with education is that education is being replaced by this kind of nonsense.

Brown University to teach male students how to attain ?prostate pleasure?

The workshop, entitled “The Ultimate Guide to Prostate Pleasure,” will be conducted by sexologist Charlie Glickman and promises to show attendees “how much fun prostate stimulation can be.”

The official event description asks students: “Are you curious about prostate play?”

Glickman will “talk about the common concerns that sometimes keep people from exploring it (and how to overcome them), tips for easy and pleasurable anal penetration, prostate massage, which toys work best for prostate fun, pegging, combining prostate pleasure with other kinds of sex, and much more,” it continues.

On Monday, Brown also hosted a “Fornication 101” seminar as part of their sex week, which included topics such as “putting condoms on with your mouth,” “petting kitties,” and “anal adventures.”

It's certainly more fun than some boring old subject like physics or engineering.

This is why I don't believe right wingers go to school.

Anyone can go to a University or institution of higher learning and propose a class. If a qualified teacher can be found and enough people to sign up for that class and the space in the schedule can be found, the class can be taught. ESPECIALLY IF THEY PAY.

That doesn't mean you can get a credit for it. Not everyone goes to school to get a degree. Some just have an interest in learning something. However, I don't believe many right wingers do.

Naturally? Every time a parent looks at their child and says a single word to that child the kid is learning that language.

Can't you understand how saying "The kid learns English 'naturally'" sounds? What does that even mean?

I posted a link earlier to how children learn language, you should go back and read it. Here is another one.

Is the language acquisition process the same for all children?
All children acquire language in the same way, regardless of what language they use or the number of languages they use. Acquiring a language is like learning to play a game. Children must learn the rules of the language game, for example how to articulate words and how to put them together in ways that are acceptable to the people around them. In order to understand child language acquisition, we need to keep two very important things in mind:

First, children do not use language like adults, because children are not adults. Acquiring language is a gradual, lengthy process, and one that involves a lot of apparent 'errors'. We will see below that these 'errors' are in fact not errors at all, but a necessary part of the process of language acquisition. That is, they shouldn't be corrected, because they will disappear in time.

Second, children will learn to speak the dialect(s) and language(s) that are used around them. Children usually begin by speaking like their parents or caregivers, but once they start to mix with other children (especially from the age of about 3 years) they start to speak like friends their own age. You cannot control the way your children speak: they will develop their own accents and they will learn the languages they think they need.

LINGUIST List Home Page

You shouldn't get your educational theories from religious books, they aren't about reality.

Anyone can go to a University or institution of higher learning and propose a class. If a qualified teacher can be found and enough people to sign up for that class and the space in the schedule can be found, the class can be taught. ESPECIALLY IF THEY PAY.

That doesn't mean you can get a credit for it. Not everyone goes to school to get a degree. Some just have an interest in learning something. However, I don't believe many right wingers do.

If I understand you correctly rightwingers are people who refuse to learn. Since I have provided you with a evidence that what you think is wrong, and you refuse to learn from that evidence, you must, by definition, be a rightwinger.

I posted a link earlier to how children learn language, you should go back and read it. Here is another one.

All children acquire language in the same way, regardless of what language they use or the number of languages they use. Acquiring a language is like learning to play a game. Children must learn the rules of the language game, for example how to articulate words and how to put them together in ways that are acceptable to the people around them. In order to understand child language acquisition, we need to keep two very important things in mind:

First, children do not use language like adults, because children are not adults. Acquiring language is a gradual, lengthy process, and one that involves a lot of apparent 'errors'. We will see below that these 'errors' are in fact not errors at all, but a necessary part of the process of language acquisition. That is, they shouldn't be corrected, because they will disappear in time.

Second, children will learn to speak the dialect(s) and language(s) that are used around them. Children usually begin by speaking like their parents or caregivers, but once they start to mix with other children (especially from the age of about 3 years) they start to speak like friends their own age. You cannot control the way your children speak: they will develop their own accents and they will learn the languages they think they need.

LINGUIST List Home Page

You shouldn't get your educational theories from religious books, they aren't about reality.

They started learning from their parents. Then they learned from their friends. No where did it say they learned "on their own".

LINGUIST List Home Page

They started learning from their parents. Then they learned from their friends. No where did it say they learned "on their own".

You didn't even read the little portion I posted, did you?

They don't learn by their parents teaching them, they learn by listening to everyone around them and figuring out the rules all my themselves.

Yeah, a lot of campuses have these. I forget the exact term for the course, but the idea is that folks in the community can come to campus, offer a course, and if they get enough interested people willing to pay to attend, the class runs. No actual college credit is given. I think this stuff is typically run through the Continuing Education office on campuses. It's like going to your community college and taking a course on knitting.

I'd checked into this with my wife when we got hired. I'd thought about starting a class about the mathematics of monopoly and other board games with a goal of getting a gaming club started after the class ended. I ended up deciding I was too busy to even try to do it.

Conservative teachers are bad teachers. The want to teach children's fables as science and history.

The want to teach "twinkle down" as economic theory.

They scream for jobs, but can't describe the jobs they aren't qualified for and are trying to keep their children from being qualified for.

The Texas Republican Party Platform is highly representative of the party as a whole.

It supports privatizing Social Security - can you imagine after the stock market was wiped out what that would have meant to Social Security?

It opposes the teaching of “critical thinking” - They want children to believe what they are told and not question it. This must be where all those Republican scientists come from.

It supports corporal punishment in schools - for children to learn properly in school, strangers must beat them.

State of Texas Republican Party Platform Available Here

What a bunch of dicks.

A teacher's politics doesn't weigh on his/her ability in the classroom. Teaching students that humans rode a dinosaur is what's bad, not that the teacher voted for Romney. One of my favorite teachers was my high school civics teacher. He was a rapid Republican, but he also encouraged his students to think about matter seriously and really examine the details.

I think this is what the post you quoted is saying, that a certain conservative group wants to limit what is taught in school to a Christian centered, Biblical story reality as far as the creation of life and what is truth. As well, the post focuses on the fact that these people do no want to teach critical thinking skills because people with critical thinking skills are likely to question the 'facts' and values they would be taught in this conservative Christian version of reality.

Glickman will “talk about the common concerns that sometimes keep people from exploring it (and how to overcome them), tips for easy and pleasurable
anal penetration, prostate massage, which toys work best for prostate fun, pegging, combining prostate pleasure with other kinds of sex, and much more,” it continues.

Anyone can go to a University or institution of higher learning and propose a
class. If a qualified teacher can be found and enough people to sign up for that class and the space in the schedule can be found, the class can be taught. ESPECIALLY IF THEY PAY.

These sexual seminars are described as events and single shot seminars. They are NOT replacing classes in physics or engineering.

Forum List

Back