The Psychology of Laziness.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
The Psychology of Laziness Psychology Today

A person is being lazy if she is able to carry out some activity that she ought to carry out, but is disinclined to do so because of the effort involved. Instead, she carries out the activity perfunctorily; or engages in some other, less strenuous or less boring activity; or remains idle. In short, she is being lazy if her motivation to spare herself effort trumps her motivation to do the right or expected thing.

Synonyms for laziness are indolence and sloth. Indolence derives from the Latin indolentia, ‘without pain’ or ‘without taking trouble’. Sloth has more moral and spiritual overtones than laziness or indolence. In the Christian tradition, sloth is one of the seven deadly sins because it undermines society and God’s plan, and because it invites sin. The Bible inveighs against slothfulness, for example, in the Book of Ecclesiastes: 'By much slothfulness the building decayeth; and through idleness of the hands the house droppeth through. A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.'

A person is being lazy if she is able to carry out some activity that she ought to carry out, but is disinclined to do so because of the effort involved. Instead, she carries out the activity perfunctorily; or engages in some other, less strenuous or less boring activity; or remains idle. In short, she is being lazy if her motivation to spare herself effort trumps her motivation to do the right or expected thing.

Synonyms for laziness are indolence and sloth. Indolence derives from the Latin indolentia, ‘without pain’ or ‘without taking trouble’. Sloth has more moral and spiritual overtones than laziness or indolence. In the Christian tradition, sloth is one of the seven deadly sins because it undermines society and God’s plan, and because it invites sin. The Bible inveighs against slothfulness, for example, in the Book of Ecclesiastes: 'By much slothfulness the building decayeth; and through idleness of the hands the house droppeth through. A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.'
And your point is ???

• Banned

And your point is ???

My point is:

To post something others might find interesting. To discuss perhaps, and add comments of their own.

Is that okay for you?

And your point is ???

My point is:

To post something others might find interesting. To discuss perhaps, and add comments of their own.

Is that okay for you?
Sure, no problem. I was just curious as to what you might be expecting as a response. I would've guessed that everyone already knows about and understands "lazy". I had no idea as to what you were leading up to. To me, lazy is lazy, no matter how one looks at it. Do you have a different opinion?

• Banned

And your point is ???

My point is:

Is that okay for you?
Sure, no problem. I was just curious as to what you might be expecting as a response. I would've guessed that everyone already knows about and understands "lazy". I had no idea as to what you were leading up to. To me, lazy is lazy, no matter how one looks at it. Do you have a different opinion?

I have no expectations.

Did you read that piece? It goes some way to interpreting laziness as something other than how we all view the condition.

And your point is ???

My point is:

Is that okay for you?

I have no expectations.

Did you read that piece? It goes some way to interpreting laziness as something other than how we all view the condition.
Sometimes laziness is not actually laziness. Sometimes it's health issues, depression, grief, and mental issues that make a person appear to be lazy. We're quick to judge without knowing all circumstances and reasons why some people don't do chores and take care of responsibilities considered to be a normal part of life. There are many variables and reasons why people aren't as active as others. It's easy to label inactivity as being lazy, but much more difficult to understand the causes. And, it's known that fibromyalgia ( fibro ) can cause inactivity, that some may see a person afflicted with it, as being lazy. There are many causes and conditions.

some people are 2-3x as productive as the 'norm", but are actually still lazy, cause they are capable of doing MUCH more.

And your point is ???

My point is:

Is that okay for you?

• Banned

And your point is ???

My point is:

Is that okay for you?

I have no expectations.

Sometimes laziness is not actually laziness. Sometimes it's health issues, depression, grief, and mental issues that make a person appear to be lazy. We're quick to judge without knowing all circumstances and reasons why some people don't do chores and take care of responsibilities considered to be a normal part of life. There are many variables and reasons why people aren't as active as others. It's easy to label inactivity as being lazy, but much more difficult to understand the causes. And, it's known that fibromyalgia ( fibro ) can cause inactivity, that some may see a person afflicted with it, as being lazy. There are many causes and conditions.

I don't take a moral view of it.

And your point is ???
In the case of health problems the person may not be
able to do much and is therefore not able to. If that were the case then lazy does not fit his behavior.

My point is:

Is that okay for you?

And your point is ???

My point is:

Is that okay for you?

I have no expectations.

And your point is ???

My point is:

Sloth connotes a moral or societal issue, one of a person not pulling his or her own weight. I have a sister in law and a daughter who are slothful. My daughter has more than a bachelor's degree and yet she sits on her dead ass and lets here husband carry the load and he is no in the best of health.
She is wasting the prime years of here life ands is a poor exa[ple for her boys. Thankfully they are hustlers.etuyet bach DAUGHTER WHO ARE SLO o ne al nn

Is that okay for you?

I have no expectations.

And your point is ???
Sloth is not a social virtue. There are lazy people who are not carrying their own weight and sponge off of others.

And your point is ???

My point is:

Sloth connotes a moral or societal issue, one of a person not pulling his or her own weight. I have a sister in law and a daughter who are slothful. My daughter has more than a bachelor's degree and yet she sits on her dead ass and lets here husband carry the load and he is no in the best of health.
She is wasting the prime years of here life ands is a poor example for her boys. Thankfully they are hustlers.comments of their own.

Sorry as I have really messed up your post and do not know how to back it off. hansel

I have no expectations.

Sneakers: Mob Escalator

When I watch Hollywood (USA) movies such as "The Wolf of Wall Street" (2013), I think about how the modern age (i.e., eTrade) makes the tycoon or the task-master seem like the new cruel Roman emperor.

Then I think about how so many people in America (of all ages) buy sneakers (durable cross-training and running/walking shoes with rubber soles). People wear sneakers when they go to Wal-Mart or to the mall or to the post office or to SeaWorld. Pedestrianism has become second nature, and Hollywood (USA) movies such as "Mallrats" (1995) speaks to this new age trend.

Someone whose laptop or Internet connection is not working simply does not function well in the modern world.

Maybe laziness is connected to uniformity.

:afro:

Count Vertigo (DC Comics)

nb.jpg

Applications of Achilles

Many modern-era Hollywood (USA) movies and movie adaptations of modern works of literature focus on the psycho-sociological impact of social contracts. Such movies include Brian De Palma's "Sisters" (1973) and Volker Schlondorff's Arthur Miller adaptation "Death of a Salesman" (1949).

These movies, when contoured with turbulence-inquisition Hollywood (USA) movies such as Clive Barker's strange and eccentric "Hellraiser" (1987), form a mosaic of social psyche that suggests that laziness and ambition anxieties are surely somehow connected.

How can we therefore talk about labor rhetorics with the history icon Achilles?

Sisters (1973 Film)

beast.jpg

Fish and Chips: Color Perception Accomodation (Grey/Gray)

They say that our ability to sensitively perceive colors (say in a field of flowers) affects our feeling of energy.

People who are colorblind are thought to exhibit heightened sensitivity in other areas of the senses (for example shape and contour perception).

Such ideas suggest that the color grey/gray, which is neither dark black nor bright white (and hence, technically, a color or shade), would affect a person's sense of energy balance or energy control.

We know from Eastern holistic therapies such as aromatherapy and acupuncture that the body is perhaps reactive to sensitization modulation.

Why is the ominous metal mask of the fictional American comic book super-villain Doctor Doom (Marvel Comics) solid grey/gray in color? Are we supposed to link the metallic grey/gray mask color to how Doctor Doom represents fear control?

Forum List

Back