The Top 5 Regrets of the Dying

pillars

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2014
UNC
Wasn't sure if this is the proper location, but thought this was an interesting, thought-provoking article:

5 Things People Regret On Their Deathbed - Business Insider

Bronnie Ware is an Australian nurse who spent several years working in palliative care, caring for patients in the last 12 weeks of their lives. She recorded their dying epiphanies in a blog called Inspiration and Chai, which gathered so much attention that she put her observations into a book called "The Top Five Regrets of the Dying."

Ware writes of the phenomenal clarity of vision that people gain at the end of their lives, and how we might learn from their wisdom. "When questioned about any regrets they had or anything they would do differently," she says, "common themes surfaced again and again."

What are your regrets?

Great article, something many of us would do good to look at in the time of living-
1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.
3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

Wasn't sure if this is the proper location, but thought this was an interesting, thought-provoking article:

Bronnie Ware is an Australian nurse who spent several years working in palliative care, caring for patients in the last 12 weeks of their lives. She recorded their dying epiphanies in a blog called Inspiration and Chai, which gathered so much attention that she put her observations into a book called "The Top Five Regrets of the Dying."

Ware writes of the phenomenal clarity of vision that people gain at the end of their lives, and how we might learn from their wisdom. "When questioned about any regrets they had or anything they would do differently," she says, "common themes surfaced again and again."

What are your regrets?
I wish I'd shot the bitch and done the time!

; - )

• Banned
I wish I'd kept in touch with my old friends. I've moved a lot in my life, and it's hard to maintain those ties.

Live your life so you don't have regrets.

As soon as I figure out how to do that, I'll let you know.

I will never regret missing every episode of Parks and Recreation or The Office.

Not making a choice is still a choice. Choices do not guarantee different outcomes.

What are your regrets?
I wish I'd shot the bitch and done the time!

; - )
We all have regrets, but not while we are doing them....I have seen my relatives die fast and some die over years or months, one in about two weeks..there is nothing glorious or special, like when you are born....enjoy the moments and be damned with the depression of not doing this or that....we only live once and perfection is not the goal of the end results of our lives....progress is...

I've said and done a lot of really really stupid shit during my lifetime, and I expect there'll be even more.

I'd just like to clock out feeling that the good I've spread about in the world far outweighs the bad.

So far, I'm confident that is the case.

I do wish that I started a second career long ago. Maybe in the Air National Guard back in '77 when the notion fascinated me.

I regret letting the Catholic Faith turn me into a paranoid self-doubting robot. I didn't shake that shit until I was 40.

One thing I won't regret is not announcing here that today I turned 60. Because I just did it. :beer:

Last edited:
Ever since I was 16 and the restaurant crew I worked with at Sirloin Stockade was all killed during a robbery the night me and my sis ditched work to go to an Aerosmith concert in 1977..I have tried to forget the night death passed me by , but in the back of my mind I could never shake the question that has and always keeps repeating, When is it my turn..My sister dies at 47 in 2007, which left me with the eerie feeling my turn was close at hand....

I've said and done a lot of really really stupid shit during my lifetime, and I expect there'll be even more.

I'd just like to clock out feeling that the good I've spread about in the world far outweighs the bad.

So far, I'm confident that is the case.

I do wish that I started a second career long ago. Maybe in the Air National Guard back in '77 when the notion fascinated me.

I regret letting the Catholic Faith turn me into a paranoid self-doubting robot. I didn't shake that shit until I was 40.

One thing I won't regret is announcing here that today I turned 60. Because I just did it. :beer:

Happy Birthday, Mr. H!

Regards from Rosie

I regret not spending more time on USMB and arguing like an idiot. I'm pretty sure that was my main purpose in life.

Yeah

We are the same age Moonglow. I could let a suicide by my car, bankruptcy or divorce define me, but I prefer to be defined by picking myself up and moving ahead. Not that they don't influence you.

Forum List

Back